Free Service - Appliance Repair Help & Troubleshooting

Author Topic: Speed Queen coin operated washer  (Read 355 times)

Offline Thorning

• VIP Member
Speed Queen coin operated washer
« on: May 03, 2016, 08:19:52 AM »
I just came into possession of a very good condition Speed Queen coin operated washer under model number EA2221WA with s/n 9508051531. This unit had no keys for the access cover on the top of the control and coin box area. I had a leftover key from another unit from several years back for the top access cover . I am trying to get this unit up and running w/o coins or to open the coin box. So far the Speed Queen folks told me that keys for the coin box are very restricted and I will need to supply the code for the coin box which is usually inside the box itself. As an alternative I looked on a web site which describes drilling out the key arrangement which looks to be very destructive and I don't like this approach. The other alternative that I found was to use a momentary switch in the wiring which would start the timer to cycle. Does anyone have some suggestions or opinions on either of these approaches ? This unit appear to be a very good washer and although I paid only a few dollars for it I don't want to scrap it. Need help in sourcing parts info also . 

Offline Thorning

• VIP Member
Re: Speed Queen coin operated washer
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2016, 01:08:34 PM »
For the benefit of others working on this type of machine I was able to add a momentary on type switch in the wiring and it does work to start the cycle. The switch was added to the circuit between the pink/blue  wire at connector plug number 2  and the white/blue wire at plug number 1. This works to connect the timer motor (TM)and LS wires. Clamp type splice devices were used so the wires did not need to be cut. The wiring diagram found in the back of the panel is listed as p/n 37566. I would still like to get a key for the coin box to operate it that way and if anyone has a key that is compatible with this type of coin operated I would like to discuss it with you. 

Offline Condor

• VIP Member
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2016, 03:53:07 PM »
Hello Thorning,

I just did this to a Speed Queen washer with identical part number but was unsuccessful. I've attached pictures of my setup. If you could identify any problems that would be great! What you see is 14 gauge wire, momentary switch (push for on). The quick splices have been attached as close as possible to the timer.

https://imgur.com/a/mS8sW

« Last Edit: May 22, 2016, 04:06:27 PM by Condor »

Offline Thorning

• VIP Member
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2016, 05:11:46 PM »
I checked my notes and verified the wire arrangement.  Pink with blue stripe and and a white with blue stripe were connected to the mom on switch.  Possibly the wire splice devices are not cutting thru to the wires . I had to scrap one as it did not connect properly.  Also when this arrangement is utilized the momentary switch must be pressed and/or held engaged for at least 10 or 15 seconds before the water starts to flow. Mine worked OK . I ran several loads of wash using this setup to satisfy my own work. Suggest you recheck the connections. Unfortunately I cant go back to do any further checks as I sold the washer yesterday.

speed queen comerical front load washer will not start, no response at all

Started by kellonnie

Replies: 0
Views: 3146
Last post December 28, 2009, 08:48:26 PM
by kellonnie
GE Commercial Coin-Op Washer "No high speed final spin"

Started by Shanahan

Replies: 7
Views: 5633
Last post February 02, 2010, 04:44:22 PM
by JWWebster