Author Topic: GE Gas Dryer stopping in the middle of a cycle  (Read 2975 times)

Offline JumpinJackFlash

• VIP Member
GE Gas Dryer stopping in the middle of a cycle
« on: April 23, 2009, 10:06:39 AM »
This is the same dryer that I looked for help on before.   It was squeaking during operation and since I never heard the squeak myself - and couldn't duplicate it, I replaced the drum bearing / shaft assembly at the center, rear of the drum as the probable cause.   It didn't resolve the squeak.   So I took another look at it and this time it was squealing really loud.   I determined the cause to be the drum rubbing on the front plastic bearing assembly that is part of the front panel assembly.   It looked like it was in fairly bad shape and some of the bearing glides/slides were broken or missing.   So, I'll be replacing those parts; WEM26, WE1M333, and WE1M481.

But here's the thing....I can't imagine that even if the drum was not rotating completely friction-free, that it would cause the dryer to just shut-off in the middle of a cycle.....or is there some safety mechanism that can determine that the motor is working too hard??

What else would be the likely cause of it to shutdown like that?    And I was told that after that happens, it won't respond when they attempt to re-Start it.   They have to wait 15 minutes or so before it will Start again.

Any thoughts?  

Thanks.

Model DBXR453GA2WW

Offline jumptrout51

• Technician
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
Re: GE Gas Dryer stopping in the middle of a cycle
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2009, 11:10:43 AM »
If the glides are too worn the drum was dragging and shut off on internal overload in the motor. Also check the belt and tension roller fo rproper alingnment.
Take a Kid fishing.

Offline JumpinJackFlash

• VIP Member
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2009, 03:08:32 PM »
Great - that's actually good to hear because 3 of the 4 glides were missing on the original assembly!   The plastic in some spots was nearly as thin as paper and broke very easily.
I'll keep my fingers crossed that the new front bearing and glides I just installed will resolve this once and for all.

Thanks for the reply!

Offline JumpinJackFlash

• VIP Member
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2009, 05:27:45 PM »
 :'(

Sadly, I just got a call and was told the dryer is still stopping after a period of time and won't start again unless it sits for about 10 or 15 minutes.

I think the squeak is gone, but something is causing the other issue.   Does it still sound like a over-heating motor?   I installed a new belt and new idler pulley last year sometime.   When it's running, it does might some rhythmic thumping noises, but it's not like it's super loud.

Maybe it's time to take it out back and shoot it?

Offline jumptrout51

• Technician
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2009, 05:28:57 PM »
Bad motor.
Unless something is binding the motor.
The belt could have come off the tension roller if the drum glides are really bad. It would cause the belt to mis-track and come off the roller.
Check for lint buildup on the motor, drum glides, tension roller, re-check the drum support for proper alignment, warped front panel, etc. etc.
If everything checks out, Bad Motor.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2009, 05:32:47 PM by jumptrout51 »
Take a Kid fishing.

Offline JumpinJackFlash

• VIP Member
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2009, 05:59:10 PM »
Okay thanks.

Not sure how I can check the alignment - my experience in "dryer repair" is almost limited to this one dryer.   However, I can certainly check the belt and make sure it's routed properly and check for debris as you mentioned.   I'd hate to spend the money on a new motor only to find out it was something else....the dryer is at least 10 years old.   Unless I find something obvious, I think this dryer may be bound for the metal recycling yard.

Thanks again for your suggestions - appreciate you taking the time to help!

Kenmore Electric Dryer - Quits in mid-cycle

Started by GaryGG

Replies: 5
Views: 4201
Last post February 15, 2008, 04:07:19 PM
by JWWebster
Simpson Maxi Dry 505 (reverse cycle clothes dryer)

Started by laudesan

Replies: 6
Views: 3328
Last post April 26, 2008, 06:36:15 PM
by laudesan
maytag dryer Auto Dry Cycle

Started by wolfen327

Replies: 2
Views: 4375
Last post September 08, 2008, 08:39:31 PM
by Repair-man
Kenmore Dryer Stops During a Cycle