Author Topic: ice container  (Read 1798 times)

Offline bogart219

• VIP Member
ice container
« on: April 19, 2009, 06:10:58 AM »
Hey repairman,
               Don't know if you ran into this before but I 'd thought I ask. I have a Kenmore coldspot  Model 106.52552100 fridge. The problem I'm having is that the ice container will not "snap" back into place after taking out to work on the ice maker. The locking mechanism (attached to the blue push-in button), is all in tact and appears to be working correctly. It seems the container cannot be pushed down far enough for the locking mechanism to engage the slots on the two post that are sticking up. Almost seems like the plastic that the post are attached to got warped or something and the post are not sitting as high up as they need be. I believe this piece is foamed in. I have tried with the coupling removed and same problem. Have you ever encountered this problem? Any ideas for a fix? Thanks!

Offline Repair-man

• Technician
  • The Virtual Repairman
    • The Virtual Repairmans Appliance Help
Re: ice container
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2009, 08:06:10 AM »
Turn the augur around manually a few turns and try it again. This is the in-door ice bin, and there is a kit for the mechanism if needed.
"It's only expensive if someone else fixes it for you" -
The Virtual Repairman   www.repair2000.com

Offline bogart219

• VIP Member
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2009, 05:43:04 AM »
I removed the drive shaft coupling skirt and drive shaft coupling from the door and the ice container still does not snap back into place. The auger is fine.

Offline Repair-man

• Technician
  • The Virtual Repairman
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2009, 06:29:43 AM »
Then the lock-release mechanism is not "fine" or it would easily sit back into its slot. The door did not magically warp out of shape during the time you had it open for repairs :)

Offline bogart219

• VIP Member
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2009, 05:23:32 AM »
R-man,
         You are right, the door did not warp in the time I had it open for repair. Unknown to me the wife said she took it out last summer to clean and it it did the same thing. She just told me about now. I'm going to try something and report back :)

Offline bogart219

• VIP Member
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2009, 06:19:34 AM »
R-man,
         Here is a couple of pictures that might show you what I'm talking about.(The one is a little blurry). It seems like over time that plastic housing "warped" for lack of a better term. In the blurry picture
that corner is not sitting down flush like it should. I'm going to take my dremel and shave a little off and see if that fixes it. Will report
back.

Offline Repair-man

• Technician
  • The Virtual Repairman
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2009, 08:19:49 AM »
You can trim if you like, but the actual problem here is in the door liner itself. I was just kidding about the "magical warping".  It is  a real possibility, but not from the service you performed. It is normal for a certain amount of frost to accumulate in the recesses under the dispenser chute, especially around the drive mechanism for the augur. Once this ice begins forming there, it actually distorts the door chute area where the bin sits. The bin is still OK.

The recourse is a new door and seal it well around the area where the tubing comes into the door to prevent air infiltration. I had actually gotten so good with a hair dryer that I could heat the area up and warp it back into shape, but this is not for amateurs unless you already plan on a new door assembly. :)

The part for the complete door on your model is L2216604W and unfortunately the liner is not available separately.

« Last Edit: April 22, 2009, 02:45:58 PM by Repair-man »

Offline bogart219

• VIP Member
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2009, 06:01:36 PM »
R-man,
        Your absolutely right. It was the liner. I used my heat gun on the area around the post and the coupling. I then lifted the post up a little. The bin then locked back into place. When I was heating the post plate, some water came out from under it.Thank you once more for the valuable input O0