SG1000 Washer and Dryer Update: Success!
Both washer and dryer are running like new, thanks to members on this forum. Thank you!
I did remove the dryer drum to make it easier to add the new belt. TIP: I found that temporarily taping the belt around the drum- every 12 inches or so, helped keep the belt in place during assembly. Only the portion of the belt at the bottom of the drum- that would go around the motor and pulley, was left "un-taped".
The routing diagram for the belt was invaluable. Even so- I stared at it for about 15 minutes before the little switch in my brain clicked "on". Once I hooked the belt and then added tension to the pulley, I rotated the drum with one hand and removed the tape off with the other hand until I had all 8 pieces of tape. Lots of room in that dryer.
Follow the directions in the thread linked earlier- they are well written. The whole dryer procedure took me about 3 hours, but I could re-do it in about 20 minutes if I had unwrapped the folded-up new belt a day or two earlier to keep "hose belt memory" away. I also broke out the vacuum cleaner, and "wow" did I clean that dryer up well. Lint was EVERYWHERE! Use the fine attachment on your vacuum to vacuum the lint out of the motor and then re-lube the drum wheels.
THE WASHER: I replaced the snapped off siphon valve. There is no "access panel" from the rear despite all the repair videos saying there is. You simply remove two 5/16 screws at the bottom of the front panel to remove that panel, and then four 1/4 inch screws (remove from the rear) that hold the siphon valve in place. Very simple.
Two new braided washer hoses (I get new ones every 3-5 years), a new 10 watt bulb for the washer (did you know that washer has a light bulb!!!! Every time you slide the washer lid open, the light comes on! It is a Ba15d base lamp...the 27 year old bulb in there was marked G.E. 10C7DC...it was burned out), a thorough cleaning and removal of dryer vent lint that the so-called "professionals" missed, and an adjustment of the legs to keep everything balanced- and it ran like new- so quiet.
CAUTION: The professionals hired to do the vent cleaning were a bunch of hacks. They claimed to have removed all the lint, but all they did from above was pack all the lint down so that there was a wall of lint completely blocking the vent pipe/vent tube connection. It is as if they used compressed air to blow everything down, and never vacuumed what came down. Useless, and a fire hazard! And the condo association mandated it at $58 per unit.
The first load of laundry caused the washer to shake violently....amazing how just a slight adjustment of the leveling legs can make it run so smoothly that you had to place your hand on the machine to know it was spinning.
Thanks to everyone on this forum, but especially to the moderators who saved us money, and kept my mother calm!
Our moderators keep things well-written, and well-organized.