365-Day Hassle Free Return Policy!  ·  AppliancePartsPros.com
Washer PartsDryer PartsRefrigerator PartsDishwasher PartsRange & Oven PartsAll Appliance Parts

Author Topic: Maytag SG1000 dryer belt replacement  (Read 731 times)

Offline RickBlaine

• VIP Member
Maytag SG1000 dryer belt replacement
« on: May 20, 2015, 05:40:03 PM »
Howdy!

This is an excellent forum that has saved me money in the past.  I am hoping to get my mother's Maytag SG1000 stackable washer/gas dryer running again, and could use your help please.

The dryer belt snapped.  Using this thread: http://appliancejunk.com/forums/index.php?topic=15073.0  and reading the info from member "Maytag Man 6725", I was able to figure out that I can do this task myself.

I saw the link to the repair manual here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzIiBNwRIV4Na21DLXBtSnZiXzg/edit?pli=1

....and saw the directions for "Installing Drive Belt" (section 3-14 of the manual).

However, it is unclear if I need to remove the drum (tumbler) in order to install a new belt.  Can I simply just remove the front panel of the dryer and manipulate the belt around the dryer drum?

Please understand, my mother is older and she freaks out when she sees things like this disassembled.  I can't get her out of the condo during this procedure, so the less panels and parts lying about the better.  Even though it seems that removal of the drum is a 15 minute job, I don't know if I can get an uninterrupted 15 minutes.  Hence my question.  I am a grown man but still "the baby" of the family- even though I wrench the cars in the family my mother is amazed if she sees me change a smoke alarm battery...go figure.

Please lend me your advice, and thank you!

Edit: I saw directions to replace a broken siphon valve.  It snapped this week when her condo association hired a "professional" chosen company to clean dryer ducts.  I have been doing it myself every year, and know the routine of disconnecting the discharge line as well as the water lines while climbing over the spare refrigerator in the utility room (don't ask).  But these guys just yanked the washer out and snapped the siphon.  (The dryer belt snapped the day before!) Anyhow, just got both parts from AppliancePartsPros.com  The machine is 26 years old (1989) and has only needed a gas valve coil in all that time. 

« Last Edit: May 20, 2015, 05:46:15 PM by RickBlaine »

Offline tgoods

• Technician
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
Re: Maytag SG1000 dryer belt replacement
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2015, 09:58:33 AM »
You need to remove the front panel and the front drum support assembly. You don't have to remove the drum but I would so you can check the rollers and vacuum out the accumulated lint. Also, check your drum glides, if they're thin, replace them.

Offline RickBlaine

• VIP Member
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2015, 10:04:46 AM »
@tgoods:  Thank you for the reply.  Will start the project in about 3 hours, and I will remove the drum to inspect everything and clean it up well.  Thank you for the insight.  I will report back later.....

Offline RickBlaine

• VIP Member
Re: Maytag SG1000 running fine again
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2015, 06:30:42 PM »
SG1000 Washer and Dryer Update: Success!

Both washer and dryer are running like new, thanks to members on this forum.  Thank you!

I did remove the dryer drum to make it easier to add the new belt. 

TIP: I found that temporarily taping the belt around the drum- every 12 inches or so, helped keep the belt in place during assembly.  Only the portion of the belt at the bottom of the drum- that would go around the motor and pulley, was left "un-taped". The routing diagram for the belt was invaluable.  Even so- I stared at it for about 15 minutes before the little switch in my brain clicked "on".  Once I hooked the belt and then added tension to the pulley, I rotated the drum with one hand and removed the tape off with the other hand until I had all 8 pieces of tape.  Lots of room in that dryer.

Follow the directions in the thread linked earlier- they are well written.  The whole dryer procedure took me about 3 hours, but I could re-do it in about 20 minutes if I had unwrapped the folded-up new belt a day or two earlier to keep "hose belt memory" away.  I also broke out the vacuum cleaner, and "wow" did I clean that dryer up well.  Lint was EVERYWHERE!  Use the fine attachment on your vacuum to vacuum the lint out of the motor and then re-lube the drum wheels.

THE WASHER:  I replaced the snapped off siphon valve.  There is no "access panel" from the rear despite all the repair videos saying there is.  You simply remove two 5/16 screws at the bottom of the front panel to remove that panel, and then four 1/4 inch screws (remove from the rear) that hold the siphon valve in place.  Very simple.

Two new braided washer hoses (I get new ones every 3-5 years), a new 10 watt bulb for the washer (did you know that washer has a light bulb!!!! Every time you slide the washer lid open, the light comes on! It is a Ba15d base lamp...the 27 year old bulb in there was marked G.E. 10C7DC...it was burned out), a thorough cleaning and removal of dryer vent lint that the so-called "professionals" missed, and an adjustment of the legs to keep everything balanced- and it ran like new- so quiet.

CAUTION: The professionals hired to do the vent cleaning were a bunch of hacks.  They claimed to have removed all the lint, but all they did from above was pack all the lint down so that there was a wall of lint completely blocking the vent pipe/vent tube connection.  It is as if they used compressed air to blow everything down, and never vacuumed what came down.  Useless, and a fire hazard!  And the condo association mandated it at $58 per unit.

The first load of laundry caused the washer to shake violently....amazing how just a slight adjustment of the leveling legs can make it run so smoothly that you had to place your hand on the machine to know it was spinning.

Thanks to everyone on this forum, but especially to the moderators who saved us money, and kept my mother calm! :)  Our moderators keep things well-written, and well-organized.

Cheers!
« Last Edit: May 27, 2015, 06:32:40 PM by RickBlaine »

Offline tgoods

• Technician
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2015, 11:47:09 PM »
 O0

Need help on belt replacement for Maytag dryer

Started by phlip2red

Replies: 6
Views: 12868