Author Topic: Ice Maker Receiver board  (Read 2077 times)

Offline bogart219

• VIP Member
Ice Maker Receiver board
« on: April 13, 2009, 05:35:44 AM »
Yellow all,
         Need help. I followed instructions contained in other post about troubleshooting my kenmore coldspot ice maker, but need further verification. Symptom: No ice, No water fill. The status led on the receiver board never comes on and never flashes during the optics test or at any time. I jumpered the blk & blk/white wire on the receiver board connector. I also jumpered the the T&H terminals on the ice maker. Holding the door switch in, the unit runs, that is the auger just slowly goes around in circles. No water enters the pan. I checked the ohms on the water sol. coil and not about 170 ohms. It appears no power (120 volts) is getting to the coil. Seems like its either the optics board or ice maker. Any more test to narrow it down?
Thanks for any direction!

Model 106.52552100

Offline Repair-man

• Technician
  • The Virtual Repairman
    • The Virtual Repairmans Appliance Help
Re: Ice Maker Receiver board
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2009, 08:08:25 AM »
Water to the board is controlled by the icemaker module. If you want to test the valve from the icemaker, simply jumper L to V. Water should begin to flow into the tray.
"It's only expensive if someone else fixes it for you" -
The Virtual Repairman   www.repair2000.com

Offline bogart219

• VIP Member
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2009, 06:26:00 AM »
Hey Repairman,
          I took the cover off the ice maker control module and noticed that the connection from one of the heater element pins looked like it was melted. I left everything in the on position sunday and noted last night that the unit was running with the auger fingers just going around and around so I unplugged it. I still have the issue with not seeing any led light up on the optics board. If I understand this right,
the optics board sends power to the control module right? if this is correct then it appears the control module is bad. Do you think both are bad? Thanks for the help!

Offline Repair-man

• Technician
  • The Virtual Repairman
    • The Virtual Repairmans Appliance Help
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2009, 06:59:19 AM »
It is possible that the high current draw you noticed at the heater terminal could have blown the board as well. This has happened in more than one case.It also might behoove you to replace the whole icemaker and the optics boards, since the problem may be internal (shorted heater, etc). Yes, this sounds like the expensive route, but not all problems are simple ones.  If you were to buy just the module and the board, then later find out the heater was shorted in the I/M, you would have ruined the new parts and have to start over again. My gut tells me to change it completely to avoid warranty issues later.
"It's only expensive if someone else fixes it for you" -
The Virtual Repairman   www.repair2000.com

Offline bogart219

• VIP Member
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2009, 07:23:57 PM »
I also found burnt spot on the wiper under the center dial. Will replace both. Thanks again for the help!!

4389102 Emitter & Receiver Icemaker Control PC Board Kit

Started by AJ

Replies: 0
Views: 10344
Last post March 10, 2009, 02:04:56 PM
by AJ
Video: See if your Whirlpool Ice maker infrared optics control is working.

Started by AJ

Replies: 2
Views: 43580
Last post August 01, 2007, 12:21:37 PM
by AJ
ED27DQXB01 Do I need to replace the ice maker?

Started by galen

Replies: 5
Views: 3917
Last post August 27, 2007, 07:47:38 PM
by AJ
Video: Testing - Connect and disconnect a push-in ice maker water fill valve

Started by AJ

Replies: 0
Views: 17368
Last post July 30, 2007, 05:53:38 PM
by AJ
Video: Whirlpool In-Door Ice Maker Fill Cycle