Author Topic: whirlpool gas dryer heating erratically  (Read 2092 times)

Offline pesti

• VIP Member
whirlpool gas dryer heating erratically
« on: April 10, 2009, 03:36:58 PM »

MY DRYER IS DRIVING ME LOOOPY LOL!
:D

it runs and doesn't heat, then if i play with the cycle selector it will sometimes start heating. I've cleaned out the entire exaust system so I know it's not clogged.
 So now I'm in the process of testing the thermostats.
The hi limit thermo checks ok, but I'm at a loss with testing the cycling thermo because it has 4 wire connectors, two silver ones on the outside and two copper ones on the inside. The outside terminals test out ok but I get no reading from the inside set...???
I'm lost  Should the inside ones also zero out? Also is there another possible problem I havn't considered..Thank you ahead of time to anyone that can come to my rescue!!!

Pesti

Model Number: lgr4634jq0 icon

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
    • JW's Sublime Appliance Advice
Re: whirlpool gas dryer heating erratically
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2009, 07:42:33 PM »
The 2 small wires going into that control thermostat heat up that thang so it will shut down faster for delicates and perma press. Unless you have a nice sensitive simpson old timey meter you cannot get a  good reading. The bigger load carrying wires are what carry the heater current. 
« Last Edit: April 10, 2009, 08:25:59 PM by JWWebster »
May the hinges of our friendship
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2009, 07:43:53 PM »
If you have to play with the cycle selector then you need to think about replacing it.But I doubt that will FIX the problem. What I think is your problem is bad coils. See they get hot and fail then cool down and start working again so it makes you go crazy figuring out a diagnoses. Lucky for you I am already crazy so check out my award winning essay on this here subject:
http://sites.google.com/site/sublimeappliancerepair/washer-will-not-spin/agitator-woes/dryer-will-not-work/how-do-i-get-inside-my-dryer/gas-dryer-quits-heating
« Last Edit: April 10, 2009, 07:47:37 PM by JWWebster »
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2009, 08:21:39 PM »
My opinion: The coil with 2 wires on it has to be on the entire time that ignitor is on, so I suspect it gets hot as hell from being overworked and over time it gets weak. It probably has an attitude like I work my ass off and am never appreciated, I think I will shut down and piss some folk off. Then I will work some more and keep em puzzled. LOL
« Last Edit: April 10, 2009, 08:23:39 PM by JWWebster »
        never grow rusty.

I love fan letters! LOL

Offline TJW

• VIP Member
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2009, 12:41:30 AM »
Had the same problem years ago and it was the ignitor, except mine would heat up at first, then cycle real fast. The ignitor had a hairline crack that after getting hot would'nt light off again until it cooled down a little.

Offline pesti

• VIP Member
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2009, 01:05:45 AM »
Thanks so much for your timely reply, Not only was your post informative, but I had a few chuckles on top of it.... ;D  I'l check these answers out and let u know how it works out!!

thankyou again, Pesti

Whirlpool Dryer Not Heating

Started by TechnicianBrian

Replies: 0
Views: 2800
Last post March 29, 2008, 05:33:22 PM
by TechnicianBrian
WHIRLPOOL DRYER NOT HEATING

Started by lowhook

Replies: 10
Views: 3529
Last post May 26, 2009, 02:37:08 PM