Author Topic: How to Replace water reservoir - Help  (Read 7067 times)

Offline jc9566

• VIP Member
How to Replace water reservoir - Help
« on: April 08, 2009, 10:43:19 PM »
I've scanned this website and have found some really great information, enough to isolate my problem, but i now need some help with the actual resolution.

Does anyone have any information on how to access the water tank (reservoir tank) on an LG LRSC26923TT side-by-side refrigerator?  I have dirty water with all sorts of floaties coming out of my water dispenser.  The interesting thing is that the ice is fine. That's why i'm pretty sure it's the water tank.  I have found the part number of this water tank (Part 1267662), but don't know where or how to access it so that I can replace it.   Anyone work on this model and/or have the service manual.  I'll take any help I can get. 

Tank & Container Part # 4838JA0002A

Offline Al Capone

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • ApplianceJunk.com
Re: How to Replace water reservoir - Help
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2009, 11:36:25 PM »
Anyone work on this model and/or have the service manual.

LRSC26923 Service Repair Manual

Download the service manual and take a look at it. Let us know if you have any other questions.
RepairClinic.com - Order now for same day shipping. 365 day return policy!

AppliancePartsPros.com - Over 1 Million Appliance Parts In-Stock. 365-Day Hassle Free Return Policy!

Offline jc9566

• VIP Member
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2009, 06:51:12 AM »
Thanks for the service manual. I'm sure this will come in handy. However, I scanned this document and did not find anything on locating or replacing the water tank.

I looked at other referigerator makes and they seem to install this water tank in the lower part of the refrigerator.  I removed all the drawers in my fridge to doublecheck, but it's completely sealed from the inside. There's nothing back there that I can take apart.  Is it possible that it is in the lower part of the refrigerator, but needs to be accessed through the rear where the compressor is located?

Offline Repair-man

• Technician
  • The Virtual Repairman
    • The Virtual Repairmans Appliance Help
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2009, 07:14:39 AM »
I had a peek at those manuals, and despite the fact that I now know MICOM ciruits inside and out, I did not see the water reservoir mentioned anywhere!

Here's my input on this. Most of these refrigerators have a lage panel covering the whole back wall of the refrigerator section. All shelves and crispers have to be removed to pull the back wall off. There will be a reservoir and water valves in there.

The reason you have floaties is due to using a soft vinyl hose on the water feed from the wall. Switch to a copper or stainless line. Trust me on this.

Then flush out your water reservoir manually by running at least 4 quarts of water thru it with the filter bypassed if possible. This should flush out the particulates.
"It's only expensive if someone else fixes it for you" -
The Virtual Repairman   www.repair2000.com

Offline jc9566

• VIP Member
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2009, 10:28:35 PM »
Thanks! I'll give this a try.

One other note, wouldn't i expect to see the white floaties in my ice as well? I don't see anything wrong with the ice.  I placed a cup of ice on the counter and then checked it out when it all melted.  No floaties.  That's why i think it's water tank.  I am using a vinyl hose.  I'll replace this as well.  Thanks for the advice.  I'll try to see if I can find out how to take off the whole panel. 

I'm assuming you mean from the inside of the fridge and not the rear. Thanks!

Offline Repair-man

• Technician
  • The Virtual Repairman
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2009, 05:48:42 AM »
Actually, you do not have to disassemble the unit just yet. To flush out the reservoir does not require any disassembly, merely use a large pitcher at the water dispenser in front to run at least a gallon or 2 of water thru after you change the line from the wall. If you have a filter bypass plug, use it when you do the flushing to ensure the best water pressure thru the reservoir.

If you use your head for a moment, it will become clear why the ice is not affected by floaties, yet the water tank is:

Water for the ice goes straight from the wall thru the filter into the icemaker mold. It does not stay in the drinking water reservoir in the FF section at all...in fact, the tank is never disturbed for icemaker operation. Herein lies the problem....water that is in the plastic tank has already passed thru the filter, so it has been de-clorinated. From there, it stays in the tanks for a day or three, especially if you do not draw copious amounts of cold water every day to flush it out. The de-clorinated water sitting in the tank will cause precipitates, floaties if you will. This is enhanced by the vinyl hose on back that we have found out causes taste and odor issues already.

I found this out after hundreds of service complaints while I was with  MCS, and it was only after experimenting with replacing water tanks and finally swapping out those soft hoses for hard copper that finally did the trick. It turns out that filtered water leaves the tank open to organic growth. Even though the white precipitate is not pathogenic, it  still is disturbing to see in a glass of supposedly pure water.  So,  changing out the water line and thouroghly flushing the tank by running a gallon of water thru it should do the trick. If not, then you can go poking around in there and change the tank itself.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2009, 05:51:05 AM by Repair-man »

Offline jc9566

• VIP Member
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2009, 07:27:39 PM »
I had determined that the water tank was not in line with the icemaker based on the fact that the ice was clean, just as you stated in previous post.  I also had tried flushing the water in the tank at the onset with no success (1 gallon plus). I even replaced the filter, not knowing much about the issue you mentioned with dechlorination and water floaties at that time.  The only thing I did not do was replace the hose and replace the water tank.  Based on all this great knowledge and insight you folks have shared with me, it's clear that I need to replace the hose as well as replace the water tank. 

I'll keep looking for how to access the water tank, but will probably try one more time to flush out the tank after replacing the hose first.

Thanks Repair-man and Al capone for all your help.  You guys are awesome! I'll keep everyone posted.

Offline Repair-man

• Technician
  • The Virtual Repairman
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2009, 07:06:52 AM »
Actually, LG and Samsung did not always put a chiled water tank on their units in every case. Looking at your model number diagrams in the manual, I see no evidence of a tank at all. It is possible that they don't provide chilled water but only filtered water directly from the  filter to the door. If this is your case, changing the hose on back should do it.

Offline jc9566

• VIP Member
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2009, 09:51:41 AM »
Found this water tank part in www.repairclinic.com for my LG model refrigerator.

Tank & Container Part # 4838JA0002A

Offline jc9566

• VIP Member
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2009, 03:14:38 PM »
Update: I just replaced the white vinyl hose with a steel one and flushed the water through the fridge.  Huge improvement, the water looks clean to the common eye now and looks drinkable.  However, if you look closely and compare to water straight form the sink you can see still some impurities from the fridge water.  Sink water still seems more clear, but the impurities in the fridge water are almost unnoticeable.  It looks like this was definitely the big problem I had to address. 

I flushed over 3 gallons to try and clear everything up.  Still wondering if I still have a water tank buried somewhere in the fridge that I should replace.

I may also go out and buy another water filter, but am wondering if i should use one at all since it can create some problems with dechlorination. 

Anyhow, I thought I would provide an update. Thx!

Offline AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
    • ApplianceJunk.com - Appliance Repair Help
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2009, 03:39:43 PM »
Thanks for the update.  O0
Follow us on Google+ to see updates from our Google Drive and more!

Offline Repair-man

• Technician
  • The Virtual Repairman
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2009, 06:23:49 AM »
Having a fresh filter on the fridge every 6 months will purify the drinking water quite well as long as you draw a glass or two every day. The problem is when folks don't draw any chilld water for days on end that the precipitates form.

Glad you saw an improvement, and if you find that tank, chances are you can remove it, pour a 50/50 bleach and water solution into it and flush it out manually without having to buy a new tank.

Offline jc9566

• VIP Member
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2009, 08:22:43 PM »
Just got a new filter and installed it.  Unfortunately, I'm still seeing some little things floating around in the water. If you hold it up to the light you can see it. The faucet water seems cleaner.  I'm stumped.  I replaced the hose, which made a dramatic improvement, then I replaced the filter, yet still not completely clean.

Any other ideas? 

Offline Repair-man

• Technician
  • The Virtual Repairman
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2009, 09:54:54 PM »
Guess you better see about a new tank. I guess you can follow the water lines from the filter back to the reservoir.

How to replace the water filter housing?

Started by vantn

Replies: 5
Views: 918
Last post August 10, 2012, 01:25:56 PM
by vantn
Repair Guide: Whirlpool Refrigerator - Water in bottom of fridge under drawers.

Started by AJ

Replies: 3
Views: 81169
Last post July 08, 2007, 12:04:06 PM
by curtis
ED27DQXB01 Do I need to replace the ice maker?

Started by galen

Replies: 5
Views: 2694
Last post August 27, 2007, 07:47:38 PM
by AJ
Video: Testing - Connect and disconnect a push-in ice maker water fill valve

Started by AJ

Replies: 0
Views: 15756
Last post July 30, 2007, 05:53:38 PM
by AJ
Kenmore refrigerator - how remove ice/water dispenser front panel