Author Topic: Hotpoint Refrigerator Not Cooling  (Read 16551 times)

Offline no user name

• VIP Member
Re: Hotpoint Refrigerator Not Cooling
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2009, 04:54:21 AM »
I think there is a lot of confusing advice being given here considering in the original post the customer says that the compressor is cycling on and off. This being the case I would say the problem lies in the refrigerator control as I stated in my first post. The only acception is if when the compressor turns off does the freezer fan turn off as well if so then you have a bad control.

I finally unplugged it but that sounds about right...when the compressor cycled off, the freezer fan stopped as well.
So if it is indeed the control, what can I do?

Offline Mr. Fix-It

• Technician
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2009, 07:16:27 AM »
You need to replace the control (thermostat) inside the fridge its the part connected to the knob you turn to set the temperature. You can find your part by putting your model # in the box to the left on this page. Good luck

Offline Repair-man

• Technician
  • The Virtual Repairman
    • The Virtual Repairmans Appliance Help
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2009, 07:20:50 AM »
How about this first....since Mr Fixit deems the control to be bad, you can always test this theory by accessing the thermostat control and hooking the 2 wires together for 24 hours. The unit will cool constantly and will even go thru a defrost cycle. After 24 hours, you can determine if the box is actually cooling by measuring the temps. Then you can order a control if the box cooled down properly. If not, you have other issues.

The control is located above the temperature knob in the housing, as shown in the diagram below. (#620). The current thermostat part number is WR17X11371

Diagram of your model: HTS20GBNCWW
« Last Edit: April 09, 2009, 07:41:05 AM by Repair-man »
"It's only expensive if someone else fixes it for you" -
The Virtual Repairman   www.repair2000.com

Offline Mr. Fix-It

• Technician
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2009, 12:55:39 PM »
Well Repair-man with your vast experience maybe you know something I don't. I thought that if there was a sealed system problem or frosted coils (defrost problem) the compressor and or freezer fan would run continuiosly and not cycle on and off besides when the fridge goes into defrost. (Every 8 hours or so). Please enlighten me as to the other causes of these symptoms where the compressor and freezer fan cycle on and off before the fridge acheives proper temp. without it being the control.

Offline Repair-man

• Technician
  • The Virtual Repairman
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2009, 05:33:39 PM »
I have vast experience at sarcasm too, but I try to avoid it around here.

I don't see where the gentleman said the unit cycled off normally...how do you know it was not in defrost when it did so? Only when he unplugged it did the fans and compressor shut off at the same time. I expect we need a little clarification from the person who made the topic.. a Mr. NO Name

We are obviously not getting the whole picture here...
« Last Edit: April 09, 2009, 05:38:33 PM by Repair-man »

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
    • JW's Sublime Appliance Advice
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2009, 07:28:19 PM »
You might have a bad condenser motor, if it feels hot to the touch it may be intermittantly stoping and that would cause those  problems.You said the ice box had been sitting up in storage. Who knows, it might just fix itself, given time.
May the hinges of our friendship
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline no user name

• VIP Member
« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2009, 05:05:25 AM »
I have vast experience at sarcasm too, but I try to avoid it around here.

I don't see where the gentleman said the unit cycled off normally...how do you know it was not in defrost when it did so? Only when he unplugged it did the fans and compressor shut off at the same time. I expect we need a little clarification from the person who made the topic.. a Mr. NO Name

We are obviously not getting the whole picture here...

I'm not sure if I understand your question. But, I would hear the compressor kick on from the other room periodically, nothing that seemed out of the ordinary. The times that I had heard the compressor and had the FREEZER door open, I could hear that fan blowing too. 

Offline Repair-man

• Technician
  • The Virtual Repairman
« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2009, 05:58:10 AM »
Ok, so to make things clear in our minds, can you say that the compressor could be heard cycling off even when the freezer fan was still running?  What we are trying to establish here is either a cold control problem or a compressor that is cutting out. If it is indeed a cold control problem as MR Fixit suggests, this could be further exemplified by the fans cycling off at the same time as the compressor.

If it is just the compressor doing the cycling and the fans remain on, you have other problems. Do the fans stop when the compressor does or not?

Offline no user name

• VIP Member
« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2009, 07:17:54 PM »
Ok, so to make things clear in our minds, can you say that the compressor could be heard cycling off even when the freezer fan was still running?  What we are trying to establish here is either a cold control problem or a compressor that is cutting out. If it is indeed a cold control problem as MR Fixit suggests, this could be further exemplified by the fans cycling off at the same time as the compressor.

If it is just the compressor doing the cycling and the fans remain on, you have other problems. Do the fans stop when the compressor does or not?

No, I'd have to say that the compressor and fan cycle on and off as a team...when one stops so does the other and when one kicks on the other does too.
I'll plug 'er back in just to be good n sure. But I do seem to recall that when I had the freezer door open when the compressor was indeed running, there was cold winds blowing from the freezer vent which would indicate that fan running at the same time.

Offline Mr. Fix-It

• Technician
« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2009, 07:18:58 AM »
The important point is weather the fan shuts OFF when the compressor does this would zero in on the control.

Hotpoint Refrigerator Not Cooling

Started by TechnicianBrian

Replies: 0
Views: 2261
Last post May 14, 2008, 08:28:39 PM
by TechnicianBrian

Replies: 2
Views: 4957
Last post September 28, 2008, 11:12:34 AM
by JWWebster

Replies: 3
Views: 3574
Last post July 01, 2008, 11:18:38 PM
by JWWebster
Hotpoint GE HSS25GFPWW Refrigerator side not cooling

Started by Dalandlord

Replies: 14
Views: 2949
Last post November 18, 2014, 05:29:37 AM
by keithvibe
Please help, Whirlpool refrigerator not cooling good.

Started by paul

Replies: 6
Views: 7164
Last post August 22, 2007, 12:59:04 PM
by Pegi
1975 GE Refrigerator not cooling

Started by deanpark

Replies: 4
Views: 7478
Last post September 24, 2007, 02:50:21 PM
by deanpark