Author Topic: Whirlpool Duet Sport Will Not Start; Door Locked  (Read 13770 times)

Offline sidfink43

• VIP Member
Whirlpool Duet Sport Will Not Start; Door Locked
« on: April 04, 2009, 09:27:31 PM »
I volunteer for a local Habitat for Humanity Home Store where I clean, test and repair major appliances that are donated to us for resale.  We received a Whirlpool Duet Sport, with a note that said hot water did not ever work and cold water was slow.  We tried to start the machine, but after it powered up and we selected the normal wash cycle it would not start the cycle.  The door locked and the "Add a garment" light came on. We have the service manual on this machine.   The service manual says if the door will not unlock press PAUSE/Cancel once and it will unlock.  This did not unlock the door and the machine will still not start.  Questions:

1.  I assume the machine is "brain dead", that is, the central control unit is shot. Is there any other possibility?

2.  Is there any way to test the main control board before purchasing a new one?

3.  Any suggestions on how to unlock the door (we tried turning off power, unplugging, plugging back in etc) so we can get our test laundry load out?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Model WFW8300SW

Offline Al Capone

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • ApplianceJunk.com
Re: Whirlpool Duet Sport Will Not Start; Door Locked
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2009, 09:48:42 PM »
Hi,

Please do not double post. It only makes things confusing.

I was going to move the first post you created on this topic from the General Discussion board to the Whirlpool Appliance Repair board.

Being you already posted it again in the Whirlpool Appliance Repair board I just removed your first post from the General Discussion board.

Thanks,

RepairClinic.com - Order now for same day shipping. 365 day return policy!

AppliancePartsPros.com - Over 1 Million Appliance Parts In-Stock. 365-Day Hassle Free Return Policy!

Offline whirlpooltech

• Technician
  • 20 years of experience
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2009, 12:11:38 AM »
1.  I assume the machine is "brain dead", that is, the central control unit is shot. Is there any other possibility?

Bad connection on the control board harness, but it sounds like a bad control board to me.

2.  Is there any way to test the main control board before purchasing a new one?

Not sure off hand, would have to look at the manual. If it was me I would just go out to my truck and get a new one and try it.

3.  Any suggestions on how to unlock the door (we tried turning off power, unplugging, plugging back in etc) so we can get our test laundry load out?

I think you can remove the bottom panel on the front and reach up to the door lock.

There (i think) is a release thing on part of the switch you pull to get the door lock open. I think it's on the bottom of the switch. I have not done one in a while.

Offline Repair-man

• Technician
  • The Virtual Repairman
    • The Virtual Repairmans Appliance Help
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2009, 07:59:35 AM »
You're right on, WPT. The Duet sport has much the same latch as the rest of the Duet series.
The one for the WFW model is shown below, and has a latch release tab at the base.

Whirlpool Duet Door Lock Latch Part # W10253483
"It's only expensive if someone else fixes it for you" -
The Virtual Repairman   www.repair2000.com

Offline sidfink43

• VIP Member
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2009, 09:44:20 AM »
Sorry about the double post, I did not realize what had happened and when I could not find the original post I thought it had been lost in cyberspace.

Appreciate the help on getting the door unlatched, will try that Tuesday when I go back to the store. 

Is there anything else I should check besides the control board for these problems?  I would not like to replace the control unit and then find something even more expensive.

Thanks again.

Offline Al Capone

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • ApplianceJunk.com
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2009, 09:49:56 AM »
Sorry about the double post, I did not realize what had happened and when I could not find the original post I thought it had been lost in cyberspace.

No problem.  O0

To find your own post once your log in just click on "Profile" in the top left corner.

Then on your profile page there is a "Show Post" link in the Profile Info box. Click it and you will get a list of all you own post.

AppliancePartsPros.com - Over 1 Million Appliance Parts In-Stock. 365-Day Hassle Free Return Policy!

Offline Repair-man

• Technician
  • The Virtual Repairman
    • The Virtual Repairmans Appliance Help
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2009, 10:05:19 AM »
I would check the machine according to the tech sheet that is tucked inside the cabinet. There are lots of diagnostic tests that  you can perform from the control panel, plus directions to check the OHMs in the door lock solenoid, etc. Remember that the first thing this machine does when you turn it on is lock and unlock the door and cycle the dispenser motor.  The Duet sport manual is below, so download it and do yer homework before you order parts!

L-78 Whirlpool Duet Sport Washer Service Repair Manual
"It's only expensive if someone else fixes it for you" -
The Virtual Repairman   www.repair2000.com

Offline sidfink43

• VIP Member
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2009, 10:21:36 AM »
Great, thanks I will do all of that and post the results mid week.

Offline sidfink43

• VIP Member
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2009, 04:11:58 PM »
We tested the control unit per the instructions and specifications in the service manual and determined several parts of the board were not at spec.  We will order a new board part # W10246289 and hope that it will fix the problem.

Thanks for all the help.  I have been doing this a while and you would think I would be smarter by now, but front loaders are pretty new to where I work.

Offline Al Capone

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • ApplianceJunk.com
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2009, 04:16:10 PM »
We will order a new board and hope that it will fix the problem.

Let us know if the board repairs the problems.  O0

Offline thedecaquinn

• VIP Member
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2012, 06:18:57 PM »
I am getting the same problem w/ the door locked. The cancel light stays on and it doesn't start the diagnostic cycle. I can get it to show the error codes, but after that it locks the door to start diagnostic cycle and then doesn't start. The rinse drain light will light up after that and keep blinking. Also has the add a garment light on.

I replaced the control board p# W10246289 and the door latch p# W10253483. It still doesn't work.... What should I do? Replace the control panel board?

donate
$1, $2, $5, $10, $20, $50

Whirlpool Duet Sport Front Load Washer Leaking from the Door

Started by TechnicianBrian

Replies: 1
Views: 13934
Last post May 23, 2013, 08:24:30 PM
by Rick32k
duet sport stopped working door locked

Started by Neskowin

Replies: 8
Views: 3494