Author Topic: No power to Oven Burners After Short in Stovetop Outlet  (Read 2745 times)

Offline bsponge

• VIP Member
No power to Oven Burners After Short in Stovetop Outlet
« on: April 04, 2009, 01:01:28 PM »
Hi,

I'm hoping someone can shed light on my dilemma.
The stove was working perfectly before the short, all burners, elements, clock, lights were working.

History:
Last night, my wife plugged in an electric kettle into the left hand side stove outlet.  Unfortunately, there was a sheet of aluminum foil on the stove at the time and when she plugged in the kettle she caught the foil and shorted out the stove.

I checked the fuses on top of the stove and the only one that blew was the 15 amp fuse to the stove receptacle which I replaced.  I looked in the back of the stove and all the wiring looked good.  Everything was in place, no charring as I could see nor could I detect any smell of burnt wiring.

Problems:  1) None of the 4 stovetop burners work.  
2)  The electronic clock has no power to it, yet when you turn on any of the 4 stove top  burner switches the clock turns back on and can be reset to the correct time, but the burner does not work.  As you turn the burner switch, there is a point in which the indicator light that is normally on when the burner is working comes on for a second and then goes back out.
3)  When the oven is set to convection, the fan starts and the oven elements work, when the oven is set to normal oven, the elements do not work.
4)  The oven light which allows you to see inside the oven works fine and the fluorescent light above the switches turns on with no problems.

Do you think the problem lies in the stovetop  burner switches or is the problem in the electronic control panel which houses the clock, or is it something else?  

Any help as to what else to look  at would be appreciated?

The stove itself is at least 10 years old and is a solid workhorse with no problems up to this point.  

Thanks,

Don

Model GRCL3643RM-1

Offline Mr. Fix-It

• Technician
Re: No power to Oven Burners After Short in Stovetop Outlet
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2009, 04:06:34 PM »
Check for 240 volts if the lights etc. work and the burners and oven don't this is most likely the problem. Usually a blown fuse in the fuse box in your house.

Offline bsponge

• VIP Member
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2009, 06:35:04 PM »
Hey there Mr. Fix-It, or should I say Mr. Fantas-tic, thanks for the advice, it was spot on.

When my wife went to reset the double breaker in the breaker box she reset one breaker and not the other before pushing them both back to the on position.  I just checked the voltage coming off the outlet and was measuring 120V between the plug opposite the round plug and the blade plug next to it and 0 volts on the opposite blade plug.  I reset the breaker and measured 240 V between the 2 opposite blade plugs.  I plugged the stove back in and everything was back working.

Thanks so much again for your invaluable advice.

Don

Offline RegUS_PatOff

• Technician
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2009, 04:18:04 AM »
...When my wife went to reset the double breaker in the breaker box she reset one breaker and not the other...
the Handles on a Double Breaker should be tied together, so that if anything goes wrong on the appliance, it'll trip both Breakers.
After leaving this Earth, "Do you want the smoking or non-smoking section?"

Offline Repair-man

• Technician
  • The Virtual Repairman
    • The Virtual Repairmans Appliance Help
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2009, 06:13:35 AM »
Reg, it's nice to have the breakers tied together for convenience sake, but even so, they do not always trip together. I have seen most of them trip on one side and you can barely tell by looking at the alignment of the actual switches. You have to physically shut it off, then back on to be sure.
"It's only expensive if someone else fixes it for you" -
The Virtual Repairman   www.repair2000.com

GE Oven will not power up.

Started by TempeRentals

Replies: 2
Views: 1328
Last post December 04, 2008, 01:39:01 AM
by TempeRentals
Frigidaire burners work, oven doesn't

Started by C_Brazil

Replies: 2
Views: 5722