Author Topic: Maytag Washer Buzzing, tripping breaker...capacitor Location?  (Read 5601 times)

Offline dvanallen

• VIP Member
My washer will just hum or buzz after it's turned on or in-between cycles. What I've done to fix it is to reach underneath in the front left by the motor and advance the belt a few inches.

At times, the circuit breaker will tripped and the washer stops running. By reading through the forum, I've learned that it may be the capacitor. However, I can't find the location of the capacitor in my machine.

Could it be that I don't have one? If so, then what would be causing the problem?

Maytag A8440 washing machine, serial number 100643BS

Offline theoldstoveguy

• Technician
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
Re: Maytag Washer Buzzing, tripping breaker...capacitor Location?
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2009, 10:18:57 PM »
Sounds like a bad motor,part # 12002351
If you have a volt/ohm meter check the voltage at the wall when your washer starts. If it goes below 112 volts you may have a low voltage issue. (power to the unit is not enough) Rare for low voltage in today's houses. I have seen it in older homes.Still worth the repair if motor,even though it is almost 20 years old.

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
    • JW's Sublime Appliance Advice
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2009, 08:42:00 AM »
I always check the pump first. They tend to lock up with age, part # 6-2022030

Also the white check switch as pictured here, part # 22001682
May the hinges of our friendship
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline dvanallen

• VIP Member
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2009, 12:04:59 PM »
My guess is that -- not being able to find a capacitor -- that it's motor related. I'll try take some voltage readings and report back. The circuit is shared with the clothes dryer, but with both running, I still get a reading of 123 VAC.

To add some more detail about the problem, it started as intermittent but is becoming more regular, and from what I can tell, it's not always happening between the same cycles. Sometimes it happens right away (between fill and wash) and other times it happens later on (after the wash cycle but before the rinse?).

Here's a link to the service manual -- found it surfing around the 'net. Page 37 (3-19) talks about adding a capacitor kit. Also, the schematic from behind the control panel shows a capacitor but notes, "CAP. EXPORT MODELS ONLY." The LOW VOLTAGE description, also on page 37, describes the problem I'm experiencing very accurately: "the washer motor will hum and fail to start spinning. If a motor remains to long in the start winding, it will overhead and trip on the overload protector."

Which wires to I test for voltage? Page 92 has the schematic.

If I had to guess, I'd put the black lead on black/brown/orange and the red lead on red/white/yellow. The overload protector looks to be connected through the yellow wire. Do I want to test when it's buzzing/humming, or during regular operation?

Also, this might be thinking ahead a bit, but I think I'm going to add a start capacitor kit, part # 206103
If that doesn't do the trick, the next step might be to replace the motor. Does this sound like a good plan?!

Offline dvanallen

• VIP Member
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2009, 01:27:43 PM »
With the belt removed and power disconnected, the motor shaft turns easily.

I ran a test by running a load of laundry and checked voltage between black/yellow and brown/red. Both turned in a 121 VAC result when the machine was running properly. During this last load, the humming problem didn't return. I ran 1/2 cycle at regular and 1/2 at slow speed with no problem. Hmm . . .

I'll post a reply when I can get voltage readings while the motor is humming/buzzing.

Thanks!

Offline theoldstoveguy

• Technician
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2009, 02:23:50 PM »
Doesn't sound like low voltage but a bad motor. I have seen power drop at certain times of the day in areas next to dairies or commercial areas. The only time a capacitor is installed is when you have low voltage.

Maytag Washer won't agitate - throws breaker switch to the washroom

Started by woody

Replies: 19
Views: 5684
Last post August 07, 2009, 07:13:49 AM
by Al Capone
GE washer tripping breaker

Started by diverboy1980

Replies: 17
Views: 3058
Last post November 28, 2011, 08:45:00 PM
by Washaman