Author Topic: Maytag dependable care stem seal/bearing replacement  (Read 3034 times)

Offline michael o

• VIP Member
Maytag dependable care stem seal/bearing replacement
« on: December 27, 2007, 03:28:13 PM »
Hi,

I have an 8 year old LAT8626AAE with a leak through the stem seal/hub assembly.  I'm going to do the repair job myself.  I've read the advice and will replace both the tub stem seal, hub assembly, and tub bearing.  (parts 22204012 and 204013).    

My question is should I be replacing anything else while I'm at it?  My concern is that I see a heavy spray pattern around the whole inside of the washing machine.  It looks like either grease or graphite stains that are left.  I'm ready to chalk it up to simply the dripping water picking up grease from the bearing, hitting the top of the transmission and spraying out during the spin cycle.  Does this make sense or should I be looking at something else that might be failing?

Any tips on this job would be appreciated.  (already read about the reverse thread, the special spanner)

Thanks in advance for those who have taken the time to read and of course those that reply!  

Online AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
    • ApplianceJunk.com - Appliance Repair Help
Re: Maytag dependable care stem seal/bearing replacement
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2007, 05:44:05 PM »
Hi,

I'm ready to chalk it up to simply the dripping water picking up grease from the bearing, hitting the top of the transmission and spraying out during the spin cycle.

That is correct.  :santa_afro:

Any tips on this job would be appreciated.  (already read about the reverse thread, the special spanner)

The left hand threads and spanner wrench are about it. Everything else is pretty straight forward.

You can help support the site by using the links below to purchase your parts.

Offline michael o

• VIP Member
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2007, 11:07:37 PM »
Well I'm done and it works.  So I thought it was time to give back to help others that may follow:

- I followed some posted instructions on how to replace tubseals and bearing kits and have some additional comments.
 - took me about 4 hours - You could be faster as I was careful cleaned up rust and scale and double checked as I went
 - Don't try this without the special spanner.  Even with the spanner it took a small sledge many generous taps for four full turns before it was loose enough to turn by hand.
- As you use the hammer or sledge, be carefull that you don't swing back and chip the porcelain off the tub 
 - some instructions refer to removing or cutting off the spanner nut.  My kits did not include another spanner nut so make sure you have a spare if you are going to get destructive....
 - Putting the new seal in place over the flange in the outer tub was difficult.  some instructions say to use a LITTLE bit of liquid laundy detergent to help it slide on.  I opted to use a bit of the grease from the inside of the seal and it went on much easier as a result.
 - When you put the new tub bearing in they say "stomp".  I decided to stand on it thinking it would be easier to control getting it in straight.  At the end even with my full 200 lbs standing on it, it refused to move in the final 1/4 inch.  So I stood beside it and "stomped" and it worked better than standing on it!
 - I've posted some pictures of when it was stripped down and when I put it back together in case you want to see some examples.

..... and the final warning is I'm just a home owner who's pretty handy and the above is simply my completely uneducated opinion - worked for me but use knowing I'm not a proffessional. 

Online AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
    • ApplianceJunk.com - Appliance Repair Help
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2007, 12:08:21 AM »
That's great!
Glad to hear you got it repaired.

Thanks for taking the time to upload the photos to the washer photo gallery.

Enlarge Photo Enlarge Photo Enlarge Photo Enlarge Photo

Maytag Frontloader bearing replacement

Started by mattD110td5x

Replies: 2
Views: 3362
Last post October 11, 2007, 04:41:26 PM
by mattD110td5x
Video: Replace Belts on Maytag Dependable Care Washer

Started by AJ

Replies: 2
Views: 6112
Last post November 20, 2007, 07:44:07 PM