Author Topic: LG gas dryer wont heat  (Read 16103 times)

Offline accapp

• VIP Member
Re: LG gas dryer wont heat
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2007, 12:19:35 AM »
Gas valve gets DC power, test voltage with meter set for DC volts. Yes, test between wires on each plug.
"When you have eliminated all which is impossible, then whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth." Sir Arthur Conan Doyle.

Offline berniet

• VIP Member
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2007, 08:47:00 AM »
I tested the coils  for resistance 1845    and 1855

the 2 thermostats at the flame funnel tested ok
outlet themostat at the hamster cage assembly tests ok
Flame detect tests continuity

Thermister and moisture sensor test ok

I think that my control board is defective
would there be any way that an appliance repair store be able to check the board itself?

Schematic attached

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
    • JW's Sublime Appliance Advice
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2008, 08:32:12 PM »
these guys cannot be checked with a meter and they ain't but 20 bucks . replace these dudes. send me a pic of the gas valve assembly dude.
May the hinges of our friendship
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline RegUS_PatOff

• Technician
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2008, 08:46:47 PM »
correction:[/[/b]b]
in some LG dryer manuals, they mention that the Gas Valve Coils use 90v - 120v AC and also mention 90v - 120v DC

LG Gas Valve Coil Assembly Part # 5221EL2002A
« Last Edit: July 15, 2008, 02:26:42 AM by RegUS_PatOff »
After leaving this Earth, "Do you want the smoking or non-smoking section?"

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2008, 02:11:24 PM »
I tryed looking up LG online but I coud not find anything like that or any info either. Iso the dude uses DC voltage to operate the coils? That means the controlpanel must also be a stepdown transformer and the is what powers them coils. Oh Brother! That goes back to either no an open coil on the operator (You Pictured) or no dc voltage coming from the main computer board. What a messy way to make a dryer. I do not know a thang about these new fangled LG products but I am learning. Thanks! :2funny: Let me run this one by you then with the dryer running and the glow bar going when it shuts down if I have my fluke meter on the wires coming from the board I should get 90 vdc or around there and would know if the board is powering the coils right?
« Last Edit: February 14, 2008, 02:17:47 PM by JWWebster »
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2008, 02:22:34 PM »
On this dryer the sensor must send signal to the board that ignition has occured and then 90 vdc is sent to the gas valve right? So if his ignitor is firing up that means he has power coming from some relay somewhere other than the control panel. Therefore the  the control thermistat must be some sort of thermister connected to the main board. Are the coils remvable on the gas valve or do you have to replace the whole gas carrying assembly?
        never grow rusty.

I love fan letters! LOL

Offline RegUS_PatOff

• Technician
« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2008, 03:56:13 PM »
yes, transformer on control board

(120v AC) ignitor is controller by main board & flame detector & limit thermostats

gas valve is controlled by main board (90v DC)

I'm not sure about the separate coils (I'll check later)

LG Service Manuals

« Last Edit: February 14, 2008, 03:58:36 PM by RegUS_PatOff »
After leaving this Earth, "Do you want the smoking or non-smoking section?"

Offline BillR625

• VIP Member
« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2014, 12:15:07 AM »
Just so you are aware that when the Radiant Sensor or what I generically call the flame sensor, when that opens it directs 120VAC to the control board, this is how the board knows the ignitor is glowing and is hot enough to ignite the gas,  and using a transformer and a bridge rectifier it drops 120VAC down to 90VDC for the coils to use..   The flame sensor or radiant sensor is nothing other then a safety, the glow bar has to get hot enough to light the gas. The sensor detects the heat and diverts the current to the control board for the gas valve.. Some dyers have a parallel circuit that when the sensor opens it forces current to the gas valves, the amp draw has to be strong enough to operate the coils to open the gas valve.. Depending on the style of ignitor, some operate as low as 2.8 amps while others aew up around 4 amps... They don't want gas pumping into the plenum without sufficient heat to ignite the fumes. So the radiant sensor was added as a safety, nothing else... This tell the gas valve its safe to open in layman's terms...  Imagine 30 or more seconds of gas pumping out of the gas valve as the ignitor is heating up, when it reached a sufficient temp to ignite the fumes, you could have a small explosion on your hands... Strictly a safety...and opening the radiant sensor also kills power to the glow ignitor so it doesn't remain lit...
« Last Edit: December 03, 2014, 12:18:46 AM by BillR625 »

Kenmore 70 series electric dryer...wont heat

Started by lalakelley

Replies: 53
Views: 41330
Last post November 24, 2011, 02:40:03 AM
by RegUS_PatOff
Kenmore 70 Series Electric dryer wont heat up

Started by Paco taco

Replies: 4
Views: 7810
Last post December 29, 2009, 11:32:31 AM