Author Topic: Loud Clunk and Large Tub Movement on Stopping  (Read 2545 times)

Offline sidfink43

• VIP Member
Loud Clunk and Large Tub Movement on Stopping
« on: March 29, 2009, 08:44:02 AM »
I am a volunteer for a Habitat for Humanity Home Store where I test, clean and repair donated appliances for resale.  We received a very nice Kenmore Series 90 Top Load Washer.  The machine runs well, but when the spin is interrupted it stops with a loud thump and excessive tub movement.  When not operating the tub seems to move excessively and lift off the base too easily.  I have had this problem before and just parted out the machine, but this is in good condition and I would like to fix it.

Other than motor couplers and pads, our parts come from parting out machines too broken to fix, and we want to do minimal tear down because the machines are resold.  Any suggestions before I end up with the gearbox and brake tube assembly laid out on the floor?

Thanks

Model 110.26902690

Offline whirlpooltech

• Technician
  • 20 years of experience
Re: Loud Clunk and Large Tub Movement on Stopping
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2009, 12:36:21 PM »
I am a volunteer for a Habitat for Humanity Home Store where I test, clean and repair donated appliances for resale.

O0

The machine runs well, but when the spin is interrupted it stops with a loud thump and excessive tub movement.

You will need to replace the brake/drive tube (part #285792) to repair this problem.

WHIRLPOOL 285792 Basket Drive and Brake Assembly, AP3094539

When not operating the tub seems to move excessively and lift off the base too easily.

Remove the agitator and take a look at the basket drive block (part # 389140) and the large spanner nut (part # 21366) that holds the tub.

WHIRLPOOL 389140 Washer Drive Block, AP2905773

WHIRLPOOL 21366 Spanner Nut, AP2913937

« Last Edit: March 29, 2009, 12:41:27 PM by whirlpooltech »

Offline sidfink43

• VIP Member
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2009, 12:50:45 PM »
Thanks, I was afraid that was the problem.  Will do so and post the results.

Offline AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
    • ApplianceJunk.com - Appliance Repair
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2009, 01:13:01 PM »
I am a volunteer for a Habitat for Humanity Home Store where I test, clean and repair donated appliances for resale.

What a great thing to do.  O0
I would love to do something like that myself.
How long have you been volunteering for Habitat for Humanity?

Offline sidfink43

• VIP Member
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2009, 02:12:17 PM »
Thanks, I have been at the store for about a yearand a half.  The store accepts donations of furniture, appliances, household goods, construction goods (a lot leftover from building projects) and generates enough income each year to cover all of the Habitat overhead plus pay for the out of pocket costs to build several houses. This means 100% of cash donations go to build houses, not for overhead. 

A lot of hotels in the area donate room furniture and TV's when they change out and remodel rooms.  We also get appliance turn-ins from Big Box stores along with individuals.

We build 16 houses a year in Western North Carolina and another 8 in a sister program in Guatemala.

I volunteer 2.5 days a week, and we save over 1000 washers, dryers, frigerators, diswashers and the like each year from going in the trash. We recycle or part out what we cannot fix and are able to provide families who cannot afford new appliances with reliable used ones very inexpensively $100-200 for most. 

I highly recommend this to everyone who can do something like this, especially if you like to work on appliances and learn how to fix them.  The experience of salvaging and reconditioning parts, along with seeing what is compatible with other models  is well worth the time by itself.

Offline AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2009, 02:16:35 PM »
I volunteer 2.5 days a week, and we save over 1000 washers, dryers, frigerators, diswashers and the like each year from going in the trash.

Wow, 2.5 day's a week. Good for you.  O0
It's amazing that you can save over 1000 appliances in a year from going in the trash and put them to good use.

Are you the only one at that store that does the appliance repair?

Offline sidfink43

• VIP Member
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2009, 02:54:42 PM »
No, I am not the only one, there are about 5 of us who come in at various times.

Other than no pay, its a great job.  You come and go as you want, take as many breaks as you want, work on what you want and at the end of the day they say thank you.

Most of the repairs are minor, you would be amazed at how many people discard a washer because of a broken motor coupling, busted belt or bad lid switch, or discard a dryer because of fuses, a broken heating coil or something else simple.  We save good cabinets and sometimes are able to take a rusted machine that works well, switch out the cabinet and have a machine that looks like new.

All in all, pretty satisfying community service.

Offline AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2009, 03:00:08 PM »
That is really awesome.

I'm don't know that there is anything like that in my area, but I'm going to do some checking around.

I would love to get involved with something like that.

If there is anything we can help you with just let us know.

Offline Repair-man

• Technician
  • The Virtual Repairman
    • The Virtual Repairmans Appliance Help
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2009, 10:42:22 PM »
Loud clunk and excessive tub movement is an indication of brake pad failure. A simple and cheap repair. If left unattended, it can rip the nipple base of the water pressure switch off due to the tub twisting violently as it stops.

WHIRLPOOL 285792 Basket Drive and Brake Assembly, AP3094539

You also mentioned the tub seems to have a lot of play...check the mounting springs and also the skate plate between the tub and the lower support, as WP re-designed it to have a dimpled surface for better traction.

WHIRLPOOL 3946509 Skate Plate, AP3131363

« Last Edit: March 31, 2009, 10:46:29 PM by Repair-man »
"It's only expensive if someone else fixes it for you" -
The Virtual Repairman   www.repair2000.com

Offline sidfink43

• VIP Member
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2009, 03:11:10 PM »

We checked the springs first thing, and unfortunately they were ok.  Have decided to change out the brake assembly.

Thanks for the reply

PAV3200AWW Washer is stopping when it get s to rinse cycle

Started by mondoman

Replies: 1
Views: 2359
Last post December 16, 2007, 12:11:43 PM
by apptech
Washer makes very loud noises

Started by jp73

Replies: 1
Views: 2154
Last post April 10, 2008, 07:28:09 AM
by AJ
Washer Issue - Runs, Fills, Start Wash...Loud Grinding for 60s, Drain, Spin Done

Started by Moose101

Replies: 16
Views: 7929
Last post April 30, 2008, 05:39:30 PM
by AJ
ultimate care II severe saking and loud ratchet sound at end of spin cycle

Started by emmettrose1962

Replies: 3
Views: 4129
Last post December 09, 2008, 05:39:17 AM
by Repair-man
High speed spining making loud noise