Author Topic: Is Maytag washer repairable?  (Read 3722 times)

Offline sparky823

• VIP Member
Is Maytag washer repairable?
« on: March 20, 2009, 01:39:16 AM »
I have a question about my Aunts Maytag washer.(A108) She put her clothes in and started it, it filled and started washing but she said she noticed it sound different but she thought it was because it was cold that morning and her laundry room isn't heated. Later she went back to get them out and it was sitting with water in it. She tried to get it to spin and it wouldnt do anything. It will fill,she had it on med so if you push large it will run water in but it doesn't agitate or spin. It just sits there quiet except for the timer ticking and it runs through the complete cylce on into the next cycle and so on till you push in the knob. Her son said he thought it was the timer(?) so he would order one locally. The guy first told him he could get it but would have to order it and then he said No he couldn't get it that it is no longer avaliable due to the machines age. I was just wondering if it really is the timer and if it is NLA?? Her son said since it is 33 years old she should just get a new one but she said she would like to get this one fixed if she could. It has only had one repair and that was a water valve in 2007. I would appreciate your thoughts on this.
Thanks.

Model A108

Offline whirlpooltech

• Technician
  • 20 years of experience
Re: Is Maytag washer repairable?
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2009, 01:50:29 AM »
Check the lid switch. You should be able to hear it click on and off as you open and close the lid.

The switch is located in back of the lid towards the center.

The reason the timer advances past off and into the next cycle is because there is water in the tub and the pressure switch is closed.

There maybe nothing wrong with the timer. Most likely just a bad lid switch.

You should have no problem getting a lid switch for this washer.

I would look up parts and numbers for you, but it's late and I got to work in the morning.. :)

night..

Offline sparky823

• VIP Member
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2009, 04:02:12 AM »
The lid switch still clicks when you open and close the lid. Also when you open the lid the timer stops running and then when you close it it starts back--same with the fill so I thought if the switch (lid) was bad it wouldn't fill or be letting the timer run????

Thanks

Offline Mr. Fix-It

• Technician
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2009, 08:17:22 AM »
I would suspect the motor if it was making unusual noises when it started. With the timer on check for voltage at the motor. If you have proper voltage then the motor is probably shot.

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
    • JW's Sublime Appliance Advice
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2009, 09:59:55 PM »
That dang plunger is probably it because she says she could wiggle it a hair to get it a going:
http://www.repairclinic.com/SSPartDetail.aspx?s=t-A108-%3d%3di435156&PartID=435156
May the hinges of our friendship
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline Repair-man

• Technician
  • The Virtual Repairman
    • The Virtual Repairmans Appliance Help
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2009, 10:18:42 PM »
Maytag motors don't just drop out like that...the timers do, however, especially if one particular cycle was giving her fits. Usuall, the complaint is that the Regular cycles don't work, but Delicate does, etc. This would be an indication the timer is bad. If you have any doubt, the wiring schematic is in the control panel and the manual for the Depandable Care machine is here on this website, so get busy checking voltage to the motor if you have any doubt.
"It's only expensive if someone else fixes it for you" -
The Virtual Repairman   www.repair2000.com

Offline sparky823

• VIP Member
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2009, 11:17:12 PM »
Her son checked  it with the meter and he says it is the timer but the parts store he tried locally told him the timer is no longer available due to the age of the washer. I was wondering if this is true or do you have a part # for the timer and if it is still avaliable?The washer hasn't been giving her any trouble on any cycle. This just happened all at once.

In response to JW Webster, I am not sure what you are talking about other than the lid switch but she hasn't been wiggling it because it has been working fine until the day it stopped.

Offline whirlpooltech

• Technician
  • 20 years of experience
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2009, 11:32:25 PM »
I could not find a factory part number for the timer, but if you look at the back of the old timer chances are there will be a part number on it.

Maybe Repair-man can come up with a timer number for you?

Offline Repair-man

• Technician
  • The Virtual Repairman
    • The Virtual Repairmans Appliance Help
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2009, 07:43:00 AM »
One of my warehouses in N Houston shows to still have the 205001 in stock, unless the computer is wrong. If you call my parts people during business hours on Monday at 800-507-4040, they may be able to locate it for you.
"It's only expensive if someone else fixes it for you" -
The Virtual Repairman   www.repair2000.com

Offline sparky823

• VIP Member
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2009, 10:48:09 PM »
Thanks for all the input and your help. Thanks Repair-Man for getting the part # for me and the phone #. I found out today that her son decided to just go get her a new one and give her for Mother's Day(a little early). He got her a Kenmore. Bet it doesn't last for 33 years but then she is 83 so it will probably last her as long as she needs one.

Thanks again for all your help.

Maytag Neptune washer MAH4000AWW

Started by Sue

Replies: 8
Views: 9276
Last post February 09, 2013, 07:41:01 AM
by def
Video: Old Maytag Gas Washer

Started by AJ

Replies: 2
Views: 4254
Last post September 04, 2007, 10:34:57 PM
by AJ
Maytag Washer Bearing Repalcement MLG2000AWW

Started by davidpgh1

Replies: 8
Views: 11040
Last post January 06, 2008, 01:59:10 PM
by inot66
Maytag LAT8704AAE Washer Leak

Started by endresrk

Replies: 3
Views: 5850
Last post August 28, 2007, 08:11:12 PM
by AJ
How to replace a Maytag - Amana washer water pump and belt.

Started by AJ

Replies: 18
Views: 31215
Last post April 19, 2010, 08:23:29 PM
by JWWebster
How old is my Maytag washer?

Started by jon

Replies: 1
Views: 18576
Last post September 03, 2007, 12:42:08 PM
by AJ