Author Topic: Kenmore Cold Spot Troubles  (Read 6809 times)

Offline TheEvilBain_TDB

• VIP Member
Kenmore Cold Spot Troubles
« on: March 22, 2009, 04:45:45 PM »
 My kenmore cold spot is acting up. It was in storage for 1 year and I took it out plugged it in and it wasn't cooling. All fans were running but compressor wasn't. I took the Start relay off and sure enough you can hear rattling inside took it apart and it was burnt up along with the metal disk inside was shattered. I went And bought a 3 in 1 and it started working great got real cold. Thats what happend yesterday. Today I noticed my compressor was really hot ( you cant leave your hand on it too long or you'll get burnt) the relay was really hot too but none of the wires were but the fridge still was blowing cold air and the compressor would come on and off. About an hour Ago I checked and my compressor is still warm but Its not running either is the compressor fan. I think the temp might have dropped too not sure. What is your Take on this problem.

Model 110.50542001

Offline TheEvilBain_TDB

• VIP Member
Re: Kenmore Cold Spot Troubles
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2009, 04:48:32 PM »
 Sorry I  couldnt find how to edit my first post. The compressor is working now and so is the fan. The relay and compressor are still very hot. How hot does the compressor usually run?

Offline jumptrout51

• Technician
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2009, 06:11:16 PM »
You either hooked the 3 in 1 up wrong or you have a bad compressor.
Take a Kid fishing.

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
    • JW's Sublime Appliance Advice
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2009, 07:11:54 PM »
IT PROBABLY WENT INTO DEFROST MODE WHEN EVERYTHANG QUIT KIMOSABE. LET THAT JEWEL  RUN FEW A FEW DAYS ANND GET ALL HAPPY AGAIN. Dang it I hit the caps lock button. Never try to answer questions with a dang fried chicken nasty beer infused finger.
 :bonk: :oops:
« Last Edit: March 22, 2009, 07:14:15 PM by JWWebster »
May the hinges of our friendship
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline TheEvilBain_TDB

• VIP Member
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2009, 08:07:20 PM »
 ;D Gotta Love Cap Lock.

I dont think I have it hooked up wrong

1    2

If those were the prongs on the compressor 1 would be Red 2 Would Be White and 3 Would Be Black.

When they go into defrost mode does it still stay really cold in the fridge and freezer? I do notice when you open both doors  the bar in the middle of both compartments is warm. Dont know if that means anything. If the compressor is bad or if Its hooked up wrong would it still be really cold in the freezer (all meat went from thawed to frozen) and the compressor kicking on and off?

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2009, 08:22:31 PM »
black is common red is to the right white to the left.
Try 2 red 1 white 3 black on the south american compressor made in brazil.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2009, 08:25:22 PM by JWWebster »
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline TheEvilBain_TDB

• VIP Member
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2009, 08:41:34 PM »
 The diagram that came with the relay Im reading it right now this is what it says

That my compressor set up is the Tecumseh Single Cylinder model S & C

C     S
    R

I have it hooked up Red TO C  White To S and Black To R

Its kinda wierd how the digram is because on the top it shows how to hook the relay up with a start cap in line and then the 3 most comon terminal and relay arangments. So maybe it is hooked  up wrong I dont know. If it is hooked up wrong would it still be working?

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2009, 08:47:59 PM »
If it gets hot and quits reverse red and white. If it runs cool then you have it right. their are 2 sets of copper in the box. It takes them both to get the compressor going. Once it gets going one set of coils gets dropped out. Both sets are probably the same so mixing it up won't matter (my opinion) somebody set me straight on that.
        never grow rusty.

I love fan letters! LOL

Offline TheEvilBain_TDB

• VIP Member
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2009, 09:23:55 PM »
 I found a diffrent digram and I had the Comon and Run Swapped around and Start was right now its running alot cooler thank god I didnt fry somthing. But now I need to time how much the compressor is coming on. It runs for about a min or 2 and shuts off for about a min or 2 and I know that Run and Stop is what killes a compressor or pump vs running along time and staying off for along time. Thank you JW

Offline TheEvilBain_TDB

• VIP Member
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2009, 11:27:55 PM »
OK Ive let My fridge run for awhile and the relay isn't getting hot like it was but. The compressor now I cant even hold my hand on it for 5 seconds without burning my hand. My fridge is really cold inside. The condenser is clean and the compressor fan is working. I hear the relay kick on and the compressor runs for about 30 seconds then the relay kicks it off for about 3 Min's.

Currently Hooked up like shown

C<black       S<white         

R<red

Offline whirlpooltech

• Technician
  • 20 years of experience
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2009, 11:36:26 PM »

If your diagram looks like this.

And your compressor looks like this.

Then the bottom one on the compressor should have the black common wire going to it.

The Red Run wire will go on the top left on the compressor.
The white Start wire will go on the top right on the compressor.

R        S
   red     white

C
       Black

Offline TheEvilBain_TDB

• VIP Member
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2009, 11:57:37 PM »
Thank you WPT That's how I had it hooked up before. The 3 in 1 relay I have is a Supco  Solid State Overload combination. I hooked it back up like you said and now the relay is getting really hot. The compressor and everything is working. There diagram says Red to R and Black to C and White to S.  What a pain lol :-\ I just worry the stupid thing will catch fire. The first time I had it hooked up, like you suggested and how I now have it the relay gets hot and the compressor probably gets hot were my hand can only sit on it for maybe 1 min they way they say to hook it up the relay doesn't get hot but the compressor is so hot that if you touch it it burns your figures.

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2009, 12:12:54 AM »
If you had it wrong or the compressor was bad then the dang thang would quit in 5 or 10 minutes.The fact that it is still going is a good thang.
        never grow rusty.

I love fan letters! LOL

Offline whirlpooltech

• Technician
  • 20 years of experience
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2009, 12:17:10 AM »
You may have a bad compressor.

If you can I would unplug it. Let everything cool off and then plug it in to try it again.

Unless you have a clamp on amp meter to use. Then clamp it on the black wire and tell us what it reads. :)

Offline TheEvilBain_TDB

• VIP Member
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2009, 01:01:31 AM »
 I wish I had a clamp amp. It does seem to work fine Just dont get why its running so hot maybe it is in defrost mode I notice when I swapped the wires back it runs alot longer and then the compressor stopps but when it was the other way the compressor would kick on run for a couple seconds and shut off then do it again in a couple mins.

How to Force Defrost Kenmore Cold Spot Refrigerator 106.53609201

Started by cphilp3

Replies: 0
Views: 449
Last post April 21, 2014, 10:47:10 PM
by cphilp3
Kenmore cold spot front edge of freezer HOT

Started by childoflights

Replies: 24
Views: 541
Last post September 15, 2014, 06:17:34 PM
by childoflights