Author Topic: Washer Timer Control Unit  (Read 2015 times)

Offline DWP

• VIP Member
Washer Timer Control Unit
« on: March 15, 2009, 06:10:41 PM »
Hi all,
You guys & gals help me on my Dryer so here I am for my washer about a month later.
It is Whirlpool Washer model #: WTW5600SQ0, S/N: CU4531609, stand alone washer top opening.
The symptoms were that it would stop in the agitating cycle and was working randomly, if we pushed or played with the timer control knob the washer would start working.  I took the top control housing off and didnít see anything loose or obvious so I removed the timer control knob.  It is a unit that snaps together so I unsnapped the housing and found that the contacts are all pitted and burnt.  Also the plastic pushrod (my name for the parts in side) type things that ride on the round cam type dial were also melted.  I have pictures that Iíll try to post.  We have had the washer for about 14 months and it has a 1 yr warranty which of course is up.  I know I need part # 8577356 (made in Mexico) but was wondering if there was a service bulletin or a recall on certain year washers with this part.  I did pull the print down off the internet and the print was revision C but the print inside the washer was revision A.  Does this mean anything?  Is this part only going to last a little over a year?  Is this a common problem with this type of washer?
Thanks in advance for any comments on this.
Dave.

Model Number: WTW5600SQ0 icon

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
    • JW's Sublime Appliance Advice
Re: Washer Timer Control Unit
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2009, 08:19:00 PM »
Made en mexico imagine that. Thank you once again Billy Clinton.
May the hinges of our friendship
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline Repair-man

• Technician
  • The Virtual Repairman
    • The Virtual Repairmans Appliance Help
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2009, 06:20:28 AM »
Is this part only going to last a little over a year?

I began asking that same question in 2006 when all the manufacturers quietly reduced their warranties to just one year, including compressors.

We have now adopted the term "planned obsolescence" as their motto  :)
"It's only expensive if someone else fixes it for you" -
The Virtual Repairman   www.repair2000.com

Offline DWP

• VIP Member
Re: Washer Timer Control Unit (Broke again!)
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2010, 12:40:28 PM »
Hi Everyone,
I repaired the old control unit by taking it apart & fixing the plastic cam like sticks.  I then used this while I ordered a new control unit.  Actually I just install the new control unit about 6 Ė 8 weeks ago because I was debugging another problem.  The other problem turned out to be a small sock stuck in the water pump drain. 
Anyways, the new control unit just went bad! The washer started agitating before filling with water.  I check the water level switch and it checked out ok so I was confused.  Just for the heck of it I installed the old control unit that I repaired and it now works.  Whatís up with these new parts??  Is this washer junk??  I really donít want to buy another control unit and am considering looking into another washer.  Anyone have any ideals on the most reliable units out there??  I am considering the side loaders, any ideals on these?  I want something that is going to last more than three years and I wonít have to keep repairing every 8 Ė 12 months.
Thanks!

Offline schaffersapplian

• Technician
  • Every action has a reaction
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2010, 01:05:53 PM »
Whirlpool offers a 90 day warranty on replacement parts. If i were you, I would call whirlpool with your complaints in regards to the machine and the faulty parts.  They may send you out the parts free of charge. It may not hurt to ask for an extended warranty for the entire machine, they can do that for you. Iv'e seen it before.
Authorized Samsung, Electrolux, Whirlpool, GE, Fisher Paykal, and Maytag Servicer with over 10 years experience.

Installing a timer control part on Whirlpool washer

Started by Tnkrposit

Replies: 3
Views: 7238
Last post October 20, 2008, 06:42:42 AM
by Repair-man
8182689 Whirlpool Front Load Washer Central Control Unit (ccu)

Started by AJ

Replies: 0
Views: 4458
Last post June 07, 2009, 01:19:29 PM
by AJ
Washer timer knob doesn't affect the control

Started by psm321

Replies: 17
Views: 4407
Last post September 07, 2009, 10:51:05 AM
by AJ
WHIRLPOOL Washer - replaced timer control

Started by progman63

Replies: 20
Views: 6549
Last post August 12, 2010, 07:48:20 AM
by RegUS_PatOff
How do I access Kenmore Washer Timer. 11023034100?

Started by wsommariva

Replies: 7
Views: 11543
Last post September 02, 2007, 04:58:36 PM
by AJ
maytag washer- timer problem?

Started by inot66

Replies: 6
Views: 4545
Last post January 10, 2008, 08:47:16 PM
by inot66