Forum > Refrigerator & Freezer Repair

Maytag Ice Maker PBB1951GRW not freezing ice

(1/2) > >>

Matt F.:
Well since I ran acrossed this sight trying to fix my washer I guess I will ask a question about my annoying ice maker.  For some reason my ice maker dumps the ice before it is fully frozen so I get a bunch of hollow ice cubes with the water falling into the ice bucket and making a big mess.  I end up with all the cubes stuck together.  I have tried turning the freezer up to the coldest setting with no luck.  I also called maytag and asked if there was an adjustment that can be made to the ice maker but all they could do is offer to send out a repair man.  So I thought maybe some of you experts might know a trick to fix this slush maker, thanks, Matt

Model PBB1951GRW

AJ:

--- Quote ---I get a bunch of hollow ice cubes
--- End quote ---

Hollow ice cubes are a sign of low water pressure to the ice maker.
Check the water pressure to the back of the refrigerator. If you have good pressure there then I would look at replacing the water inlet valve.

Matt F.:
I don't think it is the water pressure, because I can push the stop lever up and let the cubes sit for 24 hours and then put the lever down and the cubes are fine.  I think they are partly hollow because when they dump unfrozen water comes out of them and freezes all the cubes together.

apptech:
I think AJ is correct.

--- Quote ---I think they are partly hollow because when they dump unfrozen water comes out of them and freezes all the cubes together.
--- End quote ---

I don't think this would be the case. Check your freezer temp to see how cold it is.

Your ice maker has a built in thermostat that keeps it from running if the freezer is not cold enough to freeze water.

Your freezer temp need to be between 0-5 deg. F for the ice maker to run.

If your freezer temp is ok then I would look at what AJ said.

kjagmin:
Are you on an RO system or have some type of water softner?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version