Author Topic: mah2400aww door leak  (Read 7226 times)

Offline odin

• VIP Member
mah2400aww door leak
« on: December 15, 2007, 08:48:25 PM »
My front loading washer (Maytag MAH2400AWW compact washer) is leaking from the door occasionally.  This only happens when the water level is up a few inches above the door, typically when I only have a few items in the washer.  I'm thinking either it only happens occasionally, or when I have larger loads in the washer it soaks up the extra water so it's not right up against the door, so I don't notice it.

I recently replaced the door cover, so I'm going to double-check the door seal, but I was careful on the reinstall so I think it's ok.  I've read that the water level is never supposed to be over the door, so I'm guessing it's either over-filling or not draining completely.

Anyone have any suggestions for how to trouble-shoot / fix?

Thanks,

Jon

Offline AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
    • ApplianceJunk.com - Appliance Repair
Re: mah2400aww door leak
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2007, 12:08:47 PM »
Sounds like the washer could be over-filling.

Check the water valve a couple times to see if it snaps shut stopping the water flow right away.

To do this start the wash cycle and let the washer start to fill.
Make use you have selected warm wash so you can test both the hot and cold side of the water valve.

Then after it fill with some water pull the plug and see if the water stops right away. If the water fill valve is sticking open for a bit the washer will keep filling even without power.

If this happens replace the water inlet valve.

Hope you find our site helpful.

Offline odin

• VIP Member
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2008, 11:50:34 AM »

Thanks for the response, AJ.

Got back from the holidays and tried this about 7-8 times with hot, cold, and warm water with no success.  The water shut off less than a second after pulling the power plug every time.

Any other suggestions for things to try?

Thanks,

Jon

Offline AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
    • ApplianceJunk.com - Appliance Repair
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2008, 06:12:15 PM »
I recently replaced the door cover

Is this the inside of the door you replace?

Hope you find our site helpful.

Offline RegUS_PatOff

• Technician
After leaving this Earth, "Do you want the smoking or non-smoking section?"

Offline odin

• VIP Member
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2008, 12:34:20 PM »

If you look at the door as the plastic circle touching the washer front, the glass window in the middle and the plastic circle on the outside holding the glass against the inner piece, I replaced the last one - the plastic circle on the outside.

It's maytag part number 34001178 - did a quick search but couldn't find a pic online.

I only notice it when I'm doing a small load, typically hand wash / delicates.  When doing a full load either it doesn't happen or the large load soaks up the extra water.

Offline RegUS_PatOff

• Technician
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2008, 07:15:32 PM »
door cover picture

did it leak before replacing the door cover ?

Offline odin

• VIP Member
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2008, 12:14:30 PM »

I don't know if it leaked before or not.  I don't recall doing a light load before the door broke.

My understanding is that the water level isn't supposed to go higher than the bottom edge of the door opening.  Looking at the way the door is constructed, it doesn't appear to be designed to be watertight (e.g. the glass window just sits in the plastic door with no watertight seal).

Could there be a water-level sensor that's working properly?

J

Offline RegUS_PatOff

• Technician
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2008, 12:53:29 PM »
from page 2 of the  MAH2400AWW tech data sheet

"With no clothes in washer normal water level is between the 4th and 5th hole on the spinner back wall."

Offline odin

• VIP Member
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2008, 12:17:41 PM »

Sweet.  Thanks for the link - I always wondered how to put my washer into service mode and run the diagnostics referred to in the service manual.  Ran some of the basic tests around the water levels and sensors and everything seemed ok (assuming I did them correctly).

I checked my washer, and in normal mode the water level is about at hole 5 (below the door opening).  This made me wonder about the other wash modes, so I tried them all, and in "Color", "Delicates" and "Hand wash" modes, the water level is above the bottom edge of the door opening with Hand wash being highest at what would be around the 10th hole if there were one, or about 2" above the bottom edge of the door opening.

So my washer door is only leaking when I have it in one of those 3 modes where the water level is above the bottom edge of the door.  I never realized my washer used different water levels for different modes, and didn't see that mentioned in any of the docs, so I'm assuming that's intentional.

If that's the case, it seems the seal between the glass door window and the grey rubber ring around the door opening isn't tight enough.  Not sure what, if anything, to do about that, or if this just means I only ever use the normal cycle from now on.

Suggestions welcomed.

Offline odin

• VIP Member
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2011, 05:56:36 PM »

Feh.  I just noticed some dark specks on the floor in front of my washer.  Took a closer look and it's rusted metal.  Poked around my washer and realized water must be leaking out the door of my front loading washer and seeping down under the lip of the rubber seal and rusting out the lip of the door opening which the rubber seal is spring-clipped to.  I checked the rubber seal and it appears supple and intact, no splits, tears, cracking, etc. so I suspect a slow leak.  Looking at the design of this door, it's clearly not water-tight, nor intended to be since it lacks the leverage by nature of its door/hinge design, yet the washer is designed for the water level to be higher than the level of the door.

I hate Maytag washers.  I'm never buying another one.  Once this one fully rusts out, it's anything but Maytag.

Small leak form door

Started by rudyjr

Replies: 6
Views: 3688
Last post September 25, 2008, 07:34:08 PM
by Timatae
Maytag Neptune Front Load Door Leak

Started by MajorApp

Replies: 0
Views: 2701
Last post June 01, 2009, 09:47:23 PM
by MajorApp