Author Topic: Maytag vibrates across the floor!!  (Read 1831 times)

Offline cnavish

• VIP Member
Maytag vibrates across the floor!!
« on: February 27, 2009, 06:06:40 PM »
Maytag LA490 Washer vibrates violently and walks across the floor during the spin cycle! My roomates had not balanced it and it would continously shut off when the spin cycle started, the front legs where all the way down so it leaned drastically forward! when I moved in I leveled it and it is perfectly balanced now! The only problem is that it shakes badly and moves around when it hits the rinse and spin cycle! I've looked online and seen references to the bearings but there does'nt seem to be any play like you would get from bad bearings. The drum seems centered also. I wonder if the spindle could be bent from running unbalanced before I adjusted the level. I have also seen references to the damper pads causing this kind of problem too, does that sound appropriate? If so how can I check the condition of any of these parts to determine the course of action for a repair? Any ideas would be great! Thank You!

Model LA490

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
    • JW's Sublime Appliance Advice
Re: Maytag vibrates across the floor!!
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2009, 07:43:02 PM »
This beast is the original earthquake machine anyway. It is advised you put it on a concrete floor from the get go. The snubber pad must be properly centered to get this beast under control. that is why it is advised never to grab the machine by the tub when moving it. You must raise up the base to align the snubber.
May the hinges of our friendship
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline cnavish

• VIP Member
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2009, 06:22:24 PM »
its damper pads on this model right? Is there a way to determine if the pads are not balanced, or will it be very obvious to determine that?

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
    • JW's Sublime Appliance Advice
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2009, 06:33:45 PM »
Appliance parts pros part number is AP4024203 This MAY or MAY NOT fix the problem.
May the hinges of our friendship
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Maytag Neptune Washer vibrates across floor

Started by trf

Replies: 3
Views: 1421
Last post March 09, 2009, 05:03:07 AM
by Repair-man
Maytag Neptune washer MAH4000AWW

Started by Sue

Replies: 8
Views: 8504
Last post February 09, 2013, 07:41:01 AM