Author Topic: Dealing with buyers remorse (for those who work for a dealer)  (Read 238 times)

Offline bagjr387

• Technician
I am relatively new at the service end of the appliance business. I have only been on my own for about a year, and been in service for 18 months. I work for an appliance dealer who sells, delivers, installs, and services. So as a technician I see a lot of buyers remorse, where customers just find an excuse to try and get rid of something they just bought and get a different brand/color/etc.

Its frustrating when I look at my route, and out of 10 calls, 2-3 are brand new appliances, typically nothing wrong with them. Today is the day when I finally decide to vent. A call with a brand new Frigidaire gas dryer FAQG7001(i think) has a complaint of not drying, and shredding clothes.

first thing I do, verify venting is clear and start the dryer on timed dry/ normal heat.  Dryer maintained about 145-150 degrees for nearly 20 minutes. Then I check to see if the glides maybe fell apart (the only thing I could think would shred clothes) everything is good...nothing is wrong with this dryer.

my conversation with the customer:

Me: your dryer seems to be operating normally, Whats happening?
Her: nothing comes out dry, I have to run the dryer longer to get clothes dry, My old dryer was better
Me: your dryer operating temps are normal, and the dryer is cycling properly. I can assure you there is nothing wrong with the dryer. I checked your venting and its clear. can I dry a load of laundry, and go to my next call, and return in 45 minutes or so?
Her: (she was trying to change the subject) well what about my towels shredding?
Me: Let me see them
Her: well they arent shredding, but I notice more lint in the lint trap and I know that the towels are falling apart because they don't absorb water as well as they should. Water rolls off of them.
Me: Water that runs off of fabric is caused by fabric softener. Towels, as soft as you may like them, will have trouble absorbing water with a fabric softener used on them. Fabric softener is basically just wax and perfume. (she conveniently left a load of lint in the trap for me to see its fine)
Her: I dont use fabric softener on anything and that's not whats usually on the lint trap, it much more

I can see that her towels are not falling apart and at this point she is just full of $hit

This conversation ended with me telling her to call the manufacturer because I couldn't change or fix anything about the dryer.

This happens to me probably 3 to 4 times a week, where I have to try to find something wrong with an appliance that is working just fine, and the customer wants something else. The problem is, I cant stand wasting time on these calls when other people have legitimate problems

Anyone have any thoughts, or advice?

Offline domain

• Technician
Re: Dealing with buyers remorse (for those who work for a dealer)
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2015, 11:16:19 PM »
That's just the way it is man, for all of us! Just be patient with them, provide honest facts and leave it at that... you did great in my opinion! Plus, if your hourly that was easy money and if you were commis sion that was easy money too!

Offline dab147315

• Technician
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2015, 09:07:25 AM »
Like domain says thats part of the business,but that part is what makes your head spin at the end of the day and sucks the life out of you.Remember the good part of your day not the bad.Customer relations is a major part of the game.Stay calm.Thats why i like C.O.D calls better.Hang in there.

Online LowSL2

• Technician
  • Fletch F. Fletch
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2015, 09:13:31 AM »
When doing warranty work, you always have to deal with things like this. Like Domain said.  Be honest. Provide excellent service. And always maintain your position that the machine is working correctly. Or as I like to call it: "working as designed".
LowSL2
15 Years of Professional Appliance Repair Experience

All Work and No Play

Started by TechnicianBrian

Replies: 3
Views: 2429
Last post April 05, 2008, 08:58:26 AM
by JWWebster
Sears Kenmore Garbage disposal won't work

Started by pcgondreau

Views: 7026
Last post November 12, 2009, 07:31:01 AM
by jumptrout51
Where is the best place to work?

Started by AJ

Replies: 6
Views: 2321
Last post March 24, 2010, 11:43:38 AM
by AJ
Best type of work?

Started by AJ

Views: 1830
Last post March 19, 2010, 12:09:41 PM
by magician59
Back to work...

Started by LowSL2

Replies: 16
Views: 2668
Last post February 20, 2013, 02:35:20 PM
by domain
My search for washing machine bliss - will a top loading LG work for me?

Started by Jack.Bauer

Replies: 10
Views: 2818
Last post August 10, 2013, 10:47:13 PM
by Jack.Bauer