Author Topic: Whirlpool Duet Washer - Whimpy Spin Cycle leaves clothes wet often  (Read 7071 times)

Offline JumpinJackFlash

• VIP Member
Model Number: GHW9100L icon

I don't think it's an issue with the unit not being balanced since it's not shaking and moving during the spin cycle, but too often, we find our clothes wet...sometimes nearly dripping wet.    I've stood there and watched it spin and it seems like everytime the basket is just getting up to a reasonably high speed, it slows down and then will eventually speed up, but never stays in the high-speed mode for more than a few seconds and sometimes will come to a complete halt, reverse direction and start spinning again.  To me, the water is working it's way to the outer most part of the clothes to be drained through the tub, but then it reverses direction, so all the clothes tumble and now that water has to work it's way back through the clothes again.   How could that possibly be an efficient way to spin dry the clothes?    

Our friends have the exact same washer and I was there today and I watched their washer during the spin cycle and it seemed to be spinning twice as fast as ours ever has and it didn't do the slow down and reverse thing that ours does to much.

Could we have a software/programming issue?     I've never been very happy with how frequently the clothes come out wetter than they should.   I would say that less than 40% of the time, they come out really spun-dry.....and that was one of the reasons we purchased this unit - supposedly we would use less energy for drying these 'exceptionally spun-dry' clothes.    Not the case here.   :(

The washer is about 6 years old.   We never overload it.   It's just my wife and I, so it's not like we have a family of 7 and we're stuffing as much as we can into it.    I'm just baffled why it does such a poor job of wringing out the water...?

Any thoughts would be appreciated - thanks!

Offline Mr. Fix-It

• Technician
Re: Whirlpool Duet Washer - Whimpy Spin Cycle leaves clothes wet often
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2009, 07:59:07 AM »
I would check the pump trap it's probably clogged up with debris. Take the kick plate off the front of the machine and you will see it right out front. You just give it a couple of twists and it pulls straight out. Be prepared  for some water spillage when you pull it. These machines will not full spin unless all the water drains from them.

Offline JumpinJackFlash

• VIP Member
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2009, 08:25:26 AM »
I would check the pump trap it's probably clogged up with debris. Take the kick plate off the front of the machine and you will see it right out front. You just give it a couple of twists and it pulls straight out. Be prepared  for some water spillage when you pull it. These machines will not full spin unless all the water drains from them.

Ahh....I'm familiar with that part - I had to replace the pump on my friends machine, which attaches to it.   I'll give it a look - I didn't think about that aspect affecting the spinning, but it sounds logical.   

Since we have several furry critters here, we have our share of pet hair that has to filter through the system.    Maybe I'll find a big 'hairball' in there.
Thanks!

Offline JumpinJackFlash

• VIP Member
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2009, 10:21:56 AM »

Well, although it was unrelated to the problem, I did find a rather large mouse nest in the front left corner of the washer behind the kick-plate.    As I grabbed it to remove it, I felt Mr. Mouse squirt out between my fingers and run out through one of the holes in the bottom plate.   I'm sure he's not happy with my abrupt demo of his home, but he'll get over it.    I left the kick-plate off for now, so any remaining water will get a better chance to dry.

Removed the pump trap .... more water than I thought would be there, came gushing out.   I was prepared with a towel but couldn't quite catch it all.    There was some nasty smelling 'sludge' in the trap, but it wasn't as much as I was actually hoping to find.   It was mostly located toward the front of the trap, but since the pump is located at the right, front - maybe it was just enough to prevent it from draining properly.   We'll have to wash a few loads to see if it has helped.
Thanks again for your suggestion!! O0

Pete

Offline Repair-man

• Technician
  • The Virtual Repairman
    • The Virtual Repairmans Appliance Help
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2009, 03:39:04 AM »
You might also check under the lower panel right about where Mighty Mouse was nesting to see if he sampled some of the wiring harness going to the motor from the speed control board. Since this board is also in the left front corner, and mice love to chew wires, it makes sense to inspect the harness, especially the black 5-wire one going to the motor itself.
"It's only expensive if someone else fixes it for you" -
The Virtual Repairman   www.repair2000.com

Offline JumpinJackFlash

• VIP Member
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2009, 06:03:13 AM »
You might also check under the lower panel right about where Mighty Mouse was nesting to see if he sampled some of the wiring harness going to the motor from the speed control board. Since this board is also in the left front corner, and mice love to chew wires, it makes sense to inspect the harness, especially the black 5-wire one going to the motor itself.

Thanks!  I'll give it a look!

Whirlpool Duet Front-load washer Banging during spin Cycle!

Started by tajmahodge

Replies: 9
Views: 2038
Last post June 08, 2013, 07:42:52 PM
by tajmahodge
Whirlpool Duet Washer Shaking During Spin

Started by TechnicianBrian

Replies: 0
Views: 16420
Last post November 14, 2008, 05:24:50 AM
by TechnicianBrian
Whirlpool washer - will not fill after spin cycle, starts agitating without wate

Started by tomaszkr

Replies: 7
Views: 3685
Last post January 18, 2009, 06:01:17 PM
by JWWebster
whirlpool washer, drum spins, but agitator agitates during spin cycle!

Started by larry39

Replies: 6
Views: 3651
Last post May 05, 2009, 11:52:56 AM
by Al Capone
Whirlpool washer LSR7233DQ0 does not always go into the spin cycle.

Started by AJ

Views: 807
Last post May 19, 2012, 06:56:00 AM
by AJ
Whirlpool Washer WTW6200VW0 wet clothes after cycle is finished

Started by AJ

Views: 1053
Last post May 19, 2012, 07:21:30 AM
by AJ