Author Topic: LG Dishwasher  (Read 18567 times)

Offline sewingmachineman

• VIP Member
LG Dishwasher
« on: February 21, 2009, 03:06:55 PM »
After the past two days, where do I start !!! :-\35 months ago I replaced the home builders GE dishwasher (over 16 years old) with a brand new $700.00 LG LDS5811WW dishwasher. All was fine until 2/19/09 when the display panel lit up with a code LE after 3 minutes of running. Needless to say I was disappointed when we had to empty the dishwasher and HAND wash the dishes. Now I had to find out what was wrong.I called the 800 number for LG and was informed that code LE meant "locked motor". Went to bed mad as a wet hen thinking that I would have to repair or replace this 35 month old machine. >:( Early 2/20/09 I started calling appliance repair centers only to be told that "we don't repair LG because we can't get parts".I called LG again and after several minutes of heated conversation, I was given the name and number of 2 authorized repair centers in my area. Finally one of them returned my call and agreed to be at my house within the next 6 hours. :)He arrived and immediately questioned me as to why I had bought a LG !!! After 25 minutes, a call by him to LG, he gave me part numbers for motor, harness, sump pump and wire harness and told me he did not want to be involved, but for me to call LG and raise heck since there were 2 bulletins issued for this code LE and my related problems. He charged me $75.00 for his travel and time he took to remove front cover and check several electrical connections.Another call by me to LG and after some very heated discussions, I finally got LG to furnish the needed parts. O0Today (2/21/09) I found this site and read several postings about the same code LE problem caused by a broken wire behind the front cover. ;DI removed the front cover (6 screws) and in less than 2 minutes found a blue wire broken about 3 inches above the bottom plastic guide that routes the harness through the bottom of the door to the tub. I soldered and taped the wire.I immediately put a couple of dirty dishes in and am now just 40 minutes away from a completed 2 hour 17 minute cycle. O0I called the $75.00 repairman and told him I would sell him the "fix"  for $75.00
Tony Baker

Offline jumptrout51

• Technician
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
Re: LG Dishwasher
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2009, 04:41:15 PM »
When all else fails....Appliance Junk prevails.
Glad it worked out for you.

P.S. Keep the parts ...you will need them down the road.
Take a Kid fishing.

Offline RegUS_PatOff

• Technician
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2009, 06:36:23 AM »
LG parts are available at AppliancePartsPros.com, RepairClinic.com , and other places.

It's hard to find an LG service person is some areas
(you found that out)

LG D/W (and other) Service Manuals online here
After leaving this Earth, "Do you want the smoking or non-smoking section?"

Offline sewingmachineman

• VIP Member
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2009, 07:27:58 AM »
Thanks for your comments.
If I can get the parts from the authorized repair center, you better believe I will save them for future use. O0
It looks like "when" will this fail again, not "will" this fail again. :'(
Tony Baker

Offline cervello

• VIP Member
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2009, 01:38:04 AM »
I can't believe it. My story is almost the same as yours. I had the same LE error code on a 29 month unit and got the same run around from LG. :tickedoff: Been hand washing for a few weeks and got tired of that so we called a repair man and got the same response. He doesn't work on LG dishwashers because he can't get parts and ....I googled LG repair with LE code error and found this site. Read the posts and decided to try and look myself before I spent the $ on the "special " repair man. Well guess what when I opened up the front door just as several posts I found one wire partially cut (Gray) and one completely cut (Black). I reconnected them and the unit is working fine for the moment. There has to be a manufacturing defect here if so many units have the same problem. Thanks to all who posted and my only regret is that if I found this site a few weeks ago my hands would not be as dish pan squeeky clean.  O0

After the past two days, where do I start !!! :-\35 months ago I replaced the home builders GE dishwasher (over 16 years old) with a brand new $700.00 LG.All was fine until 2/19/09 when the display panel lit up with a code LE after 3 minutes of running. Needless to say I was disappointed when we had to empty the dishwasher and HAND wash the dishes. Now I had to find out what was wrong.I called the 800 number for LG and was informed that code LE meant "locked motor". Went to bed mad as a wet hen thinking that I would have to repair or replace this 35 month old machine. >:( Early 2/20/09 I started calling appliance repair centers only to be told that "we don't repair LG because we can't get parts".I called LG again and after several minutes of heated conversation, I was given the name and number of 2 authorized repair centers in my area. Finally one of them returned my call and agreed to be at my house within the next 6 hours. :)He arrived and immediately questioned me as to why I had bought a LG !!! After 25 minutes, a call by him to LG, he gave me part numbers for motor, harness, sump pump and wire harness and told me he did not want to be involved, but for me to call LG and raise heck since there were 2 bulletins issued for this code LE and my related problems. He charged me $75.00 for his travel and time he took to remove front cover and check several electrical connections.Another call by me to LG and after some very heated discussions, I finally got LG to furnish the needed parts. O0Today (2/21/09) I found this site and read several postings about the same code LE problem caused by a broken wire behind the front cover. ;DI removed the front cover (6 screws) and in less than 2 minutes found a blue wire broken about 3 inches above the bottom plastic guide that routes the harness through the bottom of the door to the tub. I soldered and taped the wire.I immediately put a couple of dirty dishes in and am now just 40 minutes away from a completed 2 hour 17 minute cycle. O0I called the $75.00 repairman and told him I would sell him the "fix"  for $75.00

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
    • JW's Sublime Appliance Advice
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2009, 01:02:00 PM »
Where was the cut wires location? Tech brian has posted almost this same problem in the past. Something in the manufacturing process is causing these wires to be cut. I bet the vibration from the washer cuts into the harness at some point near the tub between it and the frame. Glad you got it fixed and glad you posted this comment amigo. It helps the servicemen as well as the DIYers.
May the hinges of our friendship
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline jayman73

• VIP Member
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2009, 08:10:36 AM »
Where was the cut wires location? Tech brian has posted almost this same problem in the past. Something in the manufacturing process is causing these wires to be cut. I bet the vibration from the washer cuts into the harness at some point near the tub between it and the frame. Glad you got it fixed and glad you posted this comment amigo. It helps the servicemen as well as the DIYers.
i heard that the wires are being strained from the crap on the door when heated it sticks to the wire in the door and pulls on them . right from lg

Offline coldinak

• VIP Member
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2009, 01:32:23 AM »
Thanks for all the great info, purchased broke LG LDF6810ST for $ 80.  Thinking I was going to buy a new motor for 180 or so, but read the great info on broken wires.  I removed door and found one completely broke and one hanging by one strand.  Spiced them together and pulled the rest of the wires out of the sound deaden, used some clear packing tape and stuck the tape to the black sound deaden to kept the wires for sticking in it.  Hope it stays working, if so got a great dishwasher for 80 buck   ;D

Offline elambiase

• VIP Member
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2009, 02:39:12 PM »
Thank you all. I had the LE error code. I took off the front panel and sure enough three of the wires were embedded in the black sound dampening material. All three had been cut / broken. I spliced them together and it works.

Offline Aylwardg

• VIP Member
Re: LG Dishwasher LDS5811WW
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2009, 02:37:36 PM »
I have the OE error code and was wondering if it might be the same thing with the broken wires in the door. Have any of you had that Error Code?

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2009, 03:14:33 PM »
OE Drain error: not fully drained out in spite of 5 minute drain operation
cause:
Kinked blocked drain hose
faulty wiring
bad drain motor
page 22 of a LG dw manny similar to yours

LG dishwasher manual pdf
« Last Edit: December 03, 2009, 03:18:27 PM by JWWebster »
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline Aylwardg

• VIP Member
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2009, 06:59:26 PM »
Thanks JW
Mine is the LDS5811WW
I took the door off and fond two broken wires one brown and one blue. unfortunately, I had turned off the wrong breaker and the brown one shorted on a metal part of the door frame. Now it wont power up. I checked the right breaker and I have power to the white and black coming in and from the white to each side of the fuse. But it still wont power up. Do you have any idea?
Thanks

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2009, 08:56:05 PM »
Might be an inline fuse somewhere
        never grow rusty.

I love fan letters! LOL

Offline Aylwardg

• VIP Member
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2009, 09:14:32 PM »
I found one in the bard, but it is good.
Just when i thought i had it fixed! :'(
is ther a way to test the board?

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2009, 10:31:54 PM »
Hard to say
        never grow rusty.

I love fan letters! LOL

Whirlpool Dishwasher GU1200XTLQ1 Dead, clean light blinks.

Started by barb

Replies: 2
Views: 7324
Last post August 11, 2007, 08:05:47 AM
by barb
Whirlpool dishwasher manual

Started by naes

Replies: 15
Views: 18628
Last post August 06, 2007, 05:26:57 PM
by AJ
Video: Whirlpool Dishwasher - Check for foreign objects in food chopper.

Started by AJ

Replies: 0
Views: 21207
Last post August 08, 2007, 12:43:21 PM
by AJ
Whirlpool Dishwasher Model GU940SCGB3 Door Leak

Started by JimKaran

Replies: 10
Views: 13570
Last post September 13, 2007, 11:39:39 AM
by AJ
Dead whirlpool dishwasher