Author Topic: Maytag Bravos X won't spin or agitate correctly  (Read 1314 times)

Offline rossocarne

• VIP Member
Maytag Bravos X won't spin or agitate correctly
« on: August 20, 2014, 08:51:09 PM »
I recently noticed my Maytag Bravos X wasn't really putting out clean clothes up to par.  My newborn's diapers were coming out still with poop on them  :tickedoff:

I threw a load in and watched.  Basically once it fills up with the hot cycle, the agitator will start, but the clothes won't agitate. In addition, the spin cycle will start and end really quickly, so everything came out wet.  I took it apart and ran diagnostic, the agitator will spin high and low just fine normally (no load) but once basically anything with weight is put on it (I used a towel) the agitator will slip.  When I ran the spin cycle, the motor starts it a few times but never gets to a very high speed, so no water gets squeezed out.

When I run the diagnostic to get codes, I get:
F7,E1
F0,E5 - very strange, the basket does not shake, especially with no load
F0,E2 - I get this one after running a load too, which is also strange since I use a detergent that doesn't sud at all. This results in multiple rinse cycles  >:(

I took the inner basket out.  There is nothing stuck between the inner and outer baskets.

The washer shifts between spin and agitate correctly.

The agitate cycle also SEEMS audibly louder than I remember.

Any other info I can give please let me know.  Thanks in advance!
« Last Edit: August 20, 2014, 08:54:42 PM by rossocarne »

Offline rockinrobin

• Technician
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
    • Ransom Mobile Appliance Repair Service
Re: Maytag Bravos X won't spin or agitate correctly
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2014, 11:58:00 AM »
F7E1 means Basket Speed Sensor Fault: See Test #3a Drive System - Shifter.  You can buy a Digital Multimeter for $10-20 at Hardware Store to test the Shifter/Actuator & Wire Harness from Main Board to Shifter.
I would check movement of Agitator (with top panel lifted) to be sure agitator is rotating both direction's, just run the Manual Mode with Low Agitation Test (lid must be locked before you run this test).  If Agitator only moves one direction (should give an F7E6 - Motor Fault) then check the Capacitor (under Test #3b).
F0E5 means Clothing should be distributed evenly when loading (always load heavier fabrics first and if you only have a wash plate instead of agitator then place fabrics on edge of basket not in the center, specified in your Owner's Manual)
F0E2 - Run an empty wash load with 2 Cups of White Distilled Vinegar (pour into basket not dispenser) to get rid of the Suds issue.
If Vinegar doesn't resolve the F0E2 Code - Drain water from tub 1st then remove pressure hose from main control board and blow through it 5 times to be sure hose isn't plugged from fecal matter on diapers or leaking air (after reconnecting hose you must run a Drain/Spin Cycle).
BTW: Always rinse off diapers with Water Hose (or soak them in a bucket with bleach or vinegar then rinse) before putting in Washer.
NOTE: Always, run the Calibration Mode first after reconnecting wires.
Here's the Repair Manual plus a few video's to assist with troubleshooting and disassembly procedure
http://appliancejunk.com/forums/index.php?action=downloads;sa=view;down=434

« Last Edit: August 21, 2014, 12:09:46 PM by rockinrobin »

Offline rossocarne

• VIP Member
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2014, 10:26:28 PM »
F7E1 means Basket Speed Sensor Fault: See Test #3a Drive System - Shifter.  You can buy a Digital Multimeter for $10-20 at Hardware Store to test the Shifter/Actuator & Wire Harness from Main Board to Shifter.
I would check movement of Agitator (with top panel lifted) to be sure agitator is rotating both direction's, just run the Manual Mode with Low Agitation Test (lid must be locked before you run this test).  If Agitator only moves one direction (should give an F7E6 - Motor Fault) then check the Capacitor (under Test #3b).

The agitator moves easily in both directions IF there is no load.  When I put a heavy enough load (a towel for example) it "slips".  This was confirmed by allowing it to agitate (it ran just fine) and then grabbing it as it was agitating.  A very small exerted force caused it to slip, almost like a belt on a car that is not tight enough or lost all friction. I will actually get this from ONLY testing the spin cycle.  During spin, the machine quickly runs the spinning drive on and off a few times (this may be normal, but I swear it used to be one long WHHHHIRRRRRR!). Then it just fails and stops spinning before reaching a high enough speed or duration of spin to get any water out.

F0E5 means Clothing should be distributed evenly when loading (always load heavier fabrics first and if you only have a wash plate instead of agitator then place fabrics on edge of basket not in the center, specified in your Owner's Manual)

This comes up when its spinning.  It is typically always coupled with the failure to see speed error.

F0E2 - Run an empty wash load with 2 Cups of White Distilled Vinegar (pour into basket not dispenser) to get rid of the Suds issue.
If Vinegar doesn't resolve the F0E2 Code - Drain water from tub 1st then remove pressure hose from main control board and blow through it 5 times to be sure hose isn't plugged from fecal matter on diapers or leaking air (after reconnecting hose you must run a Drain/Spin Cycle).
Cool, hopefully this resolves it.

BTW: Always rinse off diapers with Water Hose (or soak them in a bucket with bleach or vinegar then rinse) before putting in Washer.

The temptation to say "no shit" here is very high  O0

The biggest problem continues to be lack of adequate agitation.  The plate spins freely until any sort of force is placed on it.  The clothes do not move at all.

When I first bought the washer, I always noticed that during agitation, the inside basket would rotate a bit (1/4 to 1/3 of a turn) each time the agitator changed direction, and it no longer does this.  There is no inertia to turn the basket because the agitator simply is not moving with any weight on it.  Are the clothes meant to stay on the outside all the time?  I never worried about carefully placing clothes around the outside before and it always agitated with gusto (I guess stupid me for not reading the manual in depth).
« Last Edit: August 28, 2014, 10:29:30 PM by rossocarne »

Offline rockinrobin

• Technician
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2014, 11:05:00 PM »
It won't spin fast until most of the water is drained or won't spin fast if you have a Suds condition (F0E2 Code - Use 2 Cups Distilled White Vinegar to dissolve the Suds).
Only use HE Liquid Detergent (3 Tablespoons of Regular HE, 2 Tablespoons of Double Strength HE and 1 Tablespoon of Triple Strength HE).
Agitate/Spin Issue when Loaded:

1) Be sure the Nut on the Big Belt Pulley is tight (big pulley is located in center under the Washer, remove belt cover plastic plate to access).  Also, inspect the inside of Belt to see if it the threads are worn.
1a) If the nut is tight and belt looks good then I would remove basket to be sure nothing is stuck between basket & tub (disassembly instruction's listed in the Service Repair Manual).
You may want to use Blue Loc-Tite (available at Hardware Store) on the Nut Threads if it comes loose again.

If you still get the F7E1 after doing above then the Shift Actuator, Wire Harness and other related part's needs to be tested (see the Service Repair Manual).
Owner's Manual says to place fabrics to the edge of basket, not on top of wash plate (don't know why but maybe someone else does).

Let us know if you resolve the issue or have further question's.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2014, 11:20:00 PM by rockinrobin »

Offline jsparo

• VIP Member
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2014, 12:28:28 PM »
Hi, 
My Maytag Bravos MVWY700XW1 would not agitate or spin, and the lid lock was flashing, When I ran the diagnostics it displayed fault F7 E1 code, after checking various articles online, I replaced the capacitor which resolved the issue.
I hope this helps.

Offline rossocarne

• VIP Member
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2014, 08:57:23 PM »
I tried the couple things mentioned.  The nut on the bottom was tight and the belts were not worn, the whole thing spun very well.  Taking the basket apart also yielded nothing.

So I tried using it for awhile (hence the disappearance) and it's OK, but still not performing superbly well.   :tickedoff:

Here's a symptom that I really hadn't noticed.  The washer goes through the initial detection phase, the whole basket should spin (so it can time how long it takes to stop). When I first start the wash cycle WITH NO CLOTHES the agitator spins wildly, and not so much the basket.  Really almost seems as though the two functions are switched, like the agitator is moving when it's supposed to spin.  Likewise, it seems like this might mean the whole basket is spinning, and not as much the agitator when it ought to be agitating.

Offline rockinrobin

• Technician
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2014, 10:30:46 PM »
I tried the couple things mentioned.  The nut on the bottom was tight and the belts were not worn, the whole thing spun very well.  Taking the basket apart also yielded nothing.

So I tried using it for awhile (hence the disappearance) and it's OK, but still not performing superbly well.   :tickedoff:

Here's a symptom that I really hadn't noticed.  The washer goes through the initial detection phase, the whole basket should spin (so it can time how long it takes to stop). When I first start the wash cycle WITH NO CLOTHES the agitator spins wildly, and not so much the basket.  Really almost seems as though the two functions are switched, like the agitator is moving when it's supposed to spin.  Likewise, it seems like this might mean the whole basket is spinning, and not as much the agitator when it ought to be agitating.

The Agitator (or Wash Plate) should not rotate back and forth during the Spin operation, if it does then you have a bad Transmission/Gearcase.
You never posted the Washer Model# to help find the Part's Diagram
« Last Edit: December 08, 2014, 10:38:32 PM by rockinrobin »

Offline domain

• Technician
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2014, 03:30:05 AM »
I think it's a vmw....

Offline rockinrobin

• Technician
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2014, 10:39:26 AM »
Check the Splutch to see if the Drive Cam Teeth are worn/broken (located above the Big Drive Pulley)
Part & Video at http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Drive-Pulley/W10315818/1876553#repairHelpVideoTabs"
« Last Edit: December 09, 2014, 10:39:42 AM by rockinrobin »

Maytag Performa won't agitate, but will spin

Started by helpless in LA

Replies: 0
Views: 2637
Last post May 19, 2009, 02:45:59 PM
by helpless in LA
Maytag wont spin, agitate, or drain - also smell something burning

Started by DeaconDad

Replies: 1
Views: 5623
Last post August 09, 2009, 05:39:51 AM
by Repair-man
Maytag Atlantis--Spin, but no agitate.

Started by bmackkc

Replies: 13
Views: 6926
Last post September 18, 2010, 11:27:03 AM
by Washaman
Maytag MAH4000AWW won't agitate or spin - blown fuse?

Started by UnlikelyFixer

Replies: 3
Views: 1890
Last post May 30, 2012, 09:58:22 PM
by AJ
Maytag Topload won't Agitate/Spin on 1 Cycle SAV515DEWW S/N 14

Started by rockinrobin

Replies: 3
Views: 956
Last post March 28, 2013, 05:06:59 PM
by rockinrobin
Maytag Bravos Won't Spin: Lid Lock Fail or Main Board/other issue?

Started by A-Dub

Replies: 18
Views: 1987
Last post November 20, 2014, 01:03:19 PM
by dab147315