Free Service - Appliance Repair Help & Troubleshooting

Author Topic: GE JCB968SL1SS Bake Element won't come on  (Read 203 times)

Offline fredg

• VIP Member
Re: GE JCB968SL1SS Bake Element won't come on
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2016, 12:58:25 AM »
oops, bad lighting that might have been 325......, will recheck tomorrow

Online Maintech

• Technician
  • LNM Service and Repair LLC.
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2016, 06:23:48 PM »
the proper way as suggested by Manufactures for checking if oven temp is controlling correctly      is to use a calibrated thermocouple with a heat sink on it (a piece of foil folded 4-5 times on the thermocouple will work) preheat 350 at oven when it shows the preheat is done place the thermocouple on the center rack at the center of the oven. Take a series of  5 high and low readings ( I have found that 3 readings give the same results) average all the readings  to give you the actual oven temp if the average is more than 35 degree off setpoint  and the sensor tested good then replace the control ( also check your door gasket and proper sensor installation) if the average reading is less than 35 degrees off then calibrate the control IAW manufacture procedure.

it is critical that you have a heat sink on the standard thermo that comes with your meter ( I like the earlier idea for a copper tubing) I use either foil or I also have a large  alligator clip. If you do not use the heat sink the thermo is more reading the heat input that the oven temp. also as you are getting the 5 high and low readings you should see the swings in temp get smaller as the oven gets heat soaked.

Offline fredg

• VIP Member
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2016, 11:51:15 PM »
Back with an update...  Looks I was misreading the hanging thermometer, was close to 350 after all.  Decided to re-install the original control board to see what differences I might find, because things appeared to be working properly with the new board. Somewhat surprisingly, there was no difference!  I ran the oven up to 350, confirmed that the sequence of 5 seconds bake, 10 seconds broil and the rest was convection element until it hits the set point @ 350.  Then the bake comes on and keep heating the oven from that point on. I let it run for quite a while and the thermometer eventually got to and stayed at 350 (I don't have a thermocouple for my meter).  Bumped setting up to 400, thermometer reads about 400.

So we did a little bake test and it seemed to work OK, except that it seems quite slow to get to full temp on the thermometer. So now I'm confused, because it actually seems OK now, even with the old board?

Here's the back story on this - this stove was in our home, we used it for 7 or 8 years, no problem.  We decided to upgrade to a newer model and moved this to a rental condo that we own.  The renter reported that it was not working correctly - would not get hot enough, temp was not consistent, said they had to throw a bunch of baking and cooking out. So I had an appliance repairman come out and he said the the bake element was not working and that it needed a new control board - that's where I stepped in and decided to take it back home and check it out for myself.  When I checked and found the bake element was  not staying on, I assumed that the board must indeed be bad and ordered a new one (not understanding then the cycling sequence that it is using).

So now I guess I will leave the old board in and try to resell the new one? As far as I can tell, it is working correctly, except that it is quite slow in heating up:
-  The set temperature of 350 will be reached within 5 mins (oven reports 350 and beeps), but the thermometer only shows about 150 at that point.
- It takes about 20 mins. before the thermometer reaches 350 - is this normal?

Once again, thanks to those that helped me work through this issue.

Fred

Whirlpool Range Bake Element Not Heating

Started by TechnicianBrian

Replies: 0
Views: 3893
Last post April 08, 2008, 07:08:16 AM
by TechnicianBrian
Whirlpool electric range hidden bake element

Started by Jerry

Replies: 2
Views: 7438
Last post December 01, 2008, 07:14:22 PM