365-Day Hassle Free Return Policy!  ·  AppliancePartsPros.com
Washer PartsDryer PartsRefrigerator PartsDishwasher PartsRange & Oven PartsAll Appliance Parts

Author Topic: GE Profile PVM9179SF1S microwave/convection oven won't turn on at all.  (Read 110 times)

Offline Parak

• VIP Member
Hi all,

A few days ago while using convection, this unit (also known as PVM9179SFSS) that is only about 6 months out of warranty (typical..) has just simply turned off and no longer turns on. To be more specific, the display does not turn on and is not responding to controls. After taking it down and disassembling it, I verified with a multimeter that the fuse is fine, and that the power is going into the microwave past the initial small AC supply board. No readily apparent burned parts or anything of the sort.

Next, I checked the thermal fuses - there are 4 of them, for continuity. Three of them were fine, but the fourth, labeled as a 'vent hood thermostat' (50/70) in diagrams, was open. To test, I removed it and shorted the wires leading up to it, but it still won't turn on. I'm not sure if it being open is actually normal at this point.

Any advice on where to look further would really appreciated :)

Thanks!

Offline domain

• Technician
Re: GE Profile PVM9179SF1S microwave/convection oven won't turn on at all.
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2015, 01:56:24 PM »
That vent one should be open until 70 degrees c and opens at 50c. Sounds like failed pcb but hard to say

Offline Appliance Savers

• Technician
  • www.appliancesavers.com
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
    • Appliance  Savers of Gainesville Florida
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2015, 06:22:03 PM »
Did you take the main line fuse out of its seat before testing? Double check and if it's good, replace the main board... GE o.e.m. part # WB27X10866

Offline Parak

• VIP Member
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2015, 07:48:07 PM »
That vent one should be open until 70 degrees c and opens at 50c. Sounds like failed pcb but hard to say

Ah, so it being open at normal room temperature is normal then. Good to know!

Did you take the main line fuse out of its seat before testing? Double check and if it's good, replace the main board... GE o.e.m. part # WB27X10866

Yep, I took it out. That board is really expensive, basically half the price of the microwave :( I suspect that returning it if it doesn't work would be a problem?

For now, I'm going to look for any obvious problems on that board, like leaking caps as I have the equipment needed to replace discrete parts. Hopefully it's not too difficult to take the board out in either case.

Thanks!

Offline Parak

• VIP Member
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2015, 08:10:41 PM »
Welp, that was all too easy - a single screw and the whole panel lifts up... oooh, service manual. With a schematic of the board... luxury. Going to probe the incoming voltages and go from there, I think.

Offline Appliance Savers

• Technician
  • www.appliancesavers.com
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
    • Appliance  Savers of Gainesville Florida
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2015, 08:20:39 PM »
 I suspect that returning it if it doesn't work would be a problem?  No. It would not be a problem. "Buy it to try it"... 1year return for any reason or no reason at all...

Offline Parak

• VIP Member
Hmm, it actually seems that I'm not getting any voltage on the w/w and r/r terminals of the hv transformer. Primary interlock switch seems fine, so I guess I'm going to double check those cutoffs... or otherwise it might be the RY2 relay on the main board. At least if I'm reading the schematic right :)

KM-26 Whirlpool Microwave Convection Oven Service Manual

Started by AJ

Replies: 0
Views: 2043
Last post August 18, 2009, 03:37:28 PM
by AJ
KM-24 Whirlpool Over The Range Microwave Convection Oven Service Manual

Started by AJ

Replies: 0
Views: 2377
Last post August 18, 2009, 03:56:29 PM
by AJ