Author Topic: Is it safe to take apart a stove door to clean the inside glass?  (Read 1013 times)

Offline JumpinJackFlash

• VIP Member
My Mom has a self-cleaning oven and she spilled something on the stove top which ran down and somehow got in-between the glass panels on the stove door and it now has streaks which is bugging her.    My Pop is afraid to take it apart because he's concerned that by doing so it will create a potential for the glass to break later on.   The stove is long out of warranty so any risk of voiding a warranty doesn't apply here.

I'm all set to work on it, but figured I better ask about the safety aspect first.

BTW - thanks to this website, I was able to repair my neighbors Frigidaire Washer that wouldn't spin.     Saved them the cost of a new washer - thanks!

Pete

Online theoldstoveguy

• Technician
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
Re: Is it safe to take apart a stove door to clean the inside glass?
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2014, 09:35:09 PM »
Normally I suggest to the customer to get a old wire coat hanger and tie a sock to it. From the bottom of the door ( it is open ) you can spray cleaner on the sock and reach up from the bottom and clean it out. Yes as a last resort you could take the door apart and clean it out. Model would help.

Offline JumpinJackFlash

• VIP Member
Re: Is it safe to take apart a stove door to clean the inside glass?
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2014, 06:02:16 AM »
Thanks!

The next time I'm over there I will see if this unit has bottom access.   I'll check on the Model # if I can't clean it from the bottom.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2014, 06:02:45 AM by JumpinJackFlash »

Offline JPG

• VIP Member
ofcourse all oven doors can be taken apart, first u got to remove from oven, via the hinges that's the only hard part, u need to insert sm spacer in hinge so u can remove the door,  jpg

Offline Bailey

• Technician
I've done this repair a lot. Easier with the door off so you can lay it on a table.

Online olyteddy

• Technician
You do have to be VERY careful tightening any of the screws up. I once tightened one that was holding the handle on too tight only to shatter the glass. Now I know why the parts are so expensive...They make that glass out of literally THOUSANDS of tiny little pieces!   :rofl:

where to get a new glass top for stove

Started by blueskies3005

Replies: 1
Views: 1270
Last post February 08, 2009, 09:13:12 PM
by RegUS_PatOff
GE Stove Concept II Designer Series -DOOR Error

Started by mcnay55

Replies: 1
Views: 2153
Last post February 01, 2010, 02:31:41 PM
by Repair-man