Author Topic: WHIRLPOOL DRYER- HELP!!!  (Read 21897 times)

Offline Wendy.Cartwright

• VIP Member
WHIRLPOOL DRYER- HELP!!!
« on: February 18, 2009, 01:56:25 PM »
Hello All, I am having some issues with my dryer and was hoping someone could help me. I turn on my dryer to use and it start up fine, with the exception it's a little louder than usual. The heating element is heating and the dryer is rotating. After 2-3 min the dryer stops and I can not turn it on again for about 20-40 min. I have opened it, cleaned it and made sure nothing was stuck in it. Can some one please help?

Model Number: LER7646JQ0

Offline Mr. Fix-It

• Technician
Re: WHIRLPOOL DRYER- HELP!!!
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2009, 02:18:10 PM »
Sounds like your hi-limit thermostat is tripping. This is usually caused by lint blockage in the dryer or your vent. Run the dryer with the vent detached if it still shuts down the blockage is in the dryer if not it is your vent.

Offline whirlpooltech

• Technician
  • 20 years of experience
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2009, 02:48:27 PM »
Sounds like your hi-limit thermostat is tripping.

What!?

They said,

After 2-3 min the dryer stops and I can not turn it on again for about 20-40 min.

If it was a limit thermostat the dryer would stop running and not restart until a new limit thermostat was put in.

I turn on my dryer to use and it start up fine, with the exception it's a little louder than usual.

After 2-3 min the dryer stops and I can not turn it on again for about 20-40 min.

This leads me to believe you have a bad motor.
Whirlpool factory Part Number: 279827

The motor also has a overload built into it.
If the motor gets to hot the overload kills the power to the motor until the motor cools off. Once the motor cools off the overload resets itself so the motor will have power again.

Offline Mr. Fix-It

• Technician
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2009, 02:59:16 PM »
Wait now correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't the hi-limit thermostat reset after it cools down (the one next to the coils)? I know the thermal cut out (up higher on the cannister) has to be replaced if it trips. You may have something though about the motor especially if it was making wierd noises. I guess you can test this by running the dryer with no heat and if it shuts down the it's the motor if not it should be the hi-limit.

Offline whirlpooltech

• Technician
  • 20 years of experience
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2009, 03:09:31 PM »
Wait now correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't the hi-limit thermostat reset after it cools down (the one next to the coils)?

Yes, you are correct.

I was thinking of the other limit thermostat as I have never seen a problem with the one on the heating element.

I guess you can test this by running the dryer with no heat and if it shuts down the it's the motor

Good idea.

Try running it on air dry and let us know what you find.

Offline Mr. Fix-It

• Technician
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2009, 03:12:26 PM »
It probably is the motor if it shuts down in 2-3 minutes.

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
    • JW's Sublime Appliance Advice
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2009, 04:44:55 PM »
The motor has a heat protection overload. If it luggs down because of a bad wheel or too much laundry it will quit. How hard is it to turn the drum?
May the hinges of our friendship
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline whirlpooltech

• Technician
  • 20 years of experience
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2009, 05:01:03 PM »
If it luggs down because of a bad wheel or too much laundry it will quit.

Too much laundry? I doubt that would cause this problem.

Offline Wendy.Cartwright

• VIP Member
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2009, 05:48:23 PM »
Thank you all for writing back... I have removed the heating element and yes after turning it on the unit ran for 2 min and shut down again. So, you think I may need a new motor? Some one told me I may need a new Thermal fuse and some one else said a thermal cutoff kit... Thanks for your help :D

Offline Wendy.Cartwright

• VIP Member
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2009, 06:14:46 PM »
OK, this is how our conversation went... If he doesn't know what he is talking about please help... THANKS  :)

ME: About two weeks ago when I was using my whirlpool dryer (ser num: LER7646JQ0) it sudenly stopped spinning. I opened it up completely, cleaned out all of the lint in it but can't see what the problem is. After reading a couple of other inquiries I think it may be a temp gage. What do you think?

HIM: I would check the belt and the motor. The temp gauge has to do with the heating of the system. You can locate both of those at the back of the unit

ME: Thank you for your responce... I have the unit open and the belt looks fine. It starts up fine, it heats and it spinnes, and after a few min it stops. Then I can not restart it for about 30 - 60 min. Do you still think it may be the motor? If it was the temp gage, would the temp gage affect the heating and spinning?

HIM: No, now it sounds more like it goes into lock out which means that it is a limit switch located on the dryer vent

ME: How can I fix a " Lock out"?

HIM: It is a silver quater sized looking piece. two screws holding itt on mounted on the hard metal pipe of the dryer vent in the back

ME: Does it need to be replaced?

HIM: Yes you cannot repair the part it needs to be replaced. like 5 dollars

ME: Thanks for the help, I will try to replace it this weekend and I'll let ya know if it fixed the problem. Thanks again.
Wendy

HIM: You are welcome have a great week

ME: Hello, Happy Wednesday! You were helping me with my problem… I Still need help… LOL
Well, What is it actually name of the part? I have been looking for part numbers but couldn't find anything. What does it look like? You said it’s located in the back of the dryer (on the lint vent). Can you please help!!! I'm about to go old school and hand a bunch of wet cloths all around my house...LOL
Thanks

HIM: The limit switch is located on the metal part of the dryer vent.
Behind the back plate. It may be called the high limit switch. Or a Trip switch.

ME: Hey, I removed the heating element to test your theory but it still cut off in 2 min... Now what do you think?
Still need a solution for this problem? Try our Premium Assistance plan

HIM: Did you jump the wires together? If you did and it still shut off then it would seem to be a relay or a computer problem. 99.9% of the time it is that sensor that goes bad and causes everything to shut down. That is why I said start there

Offline whirlpooltech

• Technician
  • 20 years of experience
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2009, 06:49:38 PM »
I have removed the heating element and yes after turning it on the unit ran for 2 min and shut down again. So, you think I may need a new motor?

Yes

WHIRLPOOL Dryer Drive Motor, part number: AP3094245

Offline jumptrout51

• Technician
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2009, 07:04:20 PM »
New motor.
Take a Kid fishing.

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
    • JW's Sublime Appliance Advice
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2009, 09:59:18 PM »
It is worth it to replace the motor. That is the heart of the dryer. Ain't much else in there.
May the hinges of our friendship
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline Wendy.Cartwright

• VIP Member
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2009, 04:57:14 PM »
Thank you all for your advice I guess I'm getting me a new motor...LOL  Aight, well I live in Oklahoma city, Does any one know a good place I can get a new motor for a good price maybe even a military discount?

Offline jumptrout51

• Technician
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2009, 05:04:31 PM »
Not only best price, If these suggestions are wrong you can return the motor.
I am certain the suggestions are right however.

WHIRLPOOL Dryer Drive Motor, part number: AP3094245

Take a Kid fishing.

Video: How to check voltage at cord on a Whirlpool electric dryer.

Started by AJ

Replies: 0
Views: 9028
Last post August 06, 2007, 05:57:19 PM
by AJ
Video: How to take your Whirlpool dryer apart to replace parts & remove lint

Started by AJ

Replies: 0
Views: 21381
Last post August 16, 2007, 06:02:43 PM
by AJ
How to replace Whirlpool Dryer Motor.

Started by AJ

Replies: 2
Views: 8190
Last post January 15, 2009, 08:13:09 PM
by AJ
whirlpool dryer gew9250PW1

Started by rclarkco

Replies: 1
Views: 4376
Last post December 16, 2007, 01:17:43 PM
by Pegi
Whirlpool Dryer - Run, but does not heat.

Started by AJ

Replies: 2
Views: 3458
Last post January 10, 2014, 12:26:55 PM
by fairbank56
whirlpool dryer metal on metal sounds?

Started by amnesty

Replies: 5
Views: 5893
Last post May 16, 2009, 01:10:38 PM
by mr_fixit