OK, this is how our conversation went... If he doesn't know what he is talking about please help... THANKS
ME: About two weeks ago when I was using my whirlpool dryer (ser num: LER7646JQ0) it sudenly stopped spinning. I opened it up completely, cleaned out all of the lint in it but can't see what the problem is. After reading a couple of other inquiries I think it may be a temp gage. What do you think?
HIM: I would check the belt and the motor. The temp gauge has to do with the heating of the system. You can locate both of those at the back of the unit
ME: Thank you for your responce... I have the unit open and the belt looks fine. It starts up fine, it heats and it spinnes, and after a few min it stops. Then I can not restart it for about 30 - 60 min. Do you still think it may be the motor? If it was the temp gage, would the temp gage affect the heating and spinning?
HIM: No, now it sounds more like it goes into lock out which means that it is a limit switch located on the dryer vent
ME: How can I fix a " Lock out"?
HIM: It is a silver quater sized looking piece. two screws holding itt on mounted on the hard metal pipe of the dryer vent in the back
ME: Does it need to be replaced?
HIM: Yes you cannot repair the part it needs to be replaced. like 5 dollars
ME: Thanks for the help, I will try to replace it this weekend and I'll let ya know if it fixed the problem. Thanks again.
HIM: You are welcome have a great week
ME: Hello, Happy Wednesday! You were helping me with my problem… I Still need help… LOL
Well, What is it actually name of the part? I have been looking for part numbers but couldn't find anything. What does it look like? You said it’s located in the back of the dryer (on the lint vent). Can you please help!!! I'm about to go old school and hand a bunch of wet cloths all around my house...LOL
HIM: The limit switch is located on the metal part of the dryer vent.
Behind the back plate. It may be called the high limit switch. Or a Trip switch.
ME: Hey, I removed the heating element to test your theory but it still cut off in 2 min... Now what do you think?
Still need a solution for this problem? Try our Premium Assistance plan
HIM: Did you jump the wires together? If you did and it still shut off then it would seem to be a relay or a computer problem. 99.9% of the time it is that sensor that goes bad and causes everything to shut down. That is why I said start there