Author Topic: 70 series Kenmore electric dryer spins but does not heat  (Read 47621 times)

Offline llew_x

• VIP Member
Re: 70 series Kenmore electric dryer spins but does not heat
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2009, 05:33:37 AM »
OK, I just went and checked it again. I must have got mixed up plugging and unplugging the cord. My multimeter is definately set to measure V/AC.

From black to white or redt to white it's 120V.

Black to red is 245V. The receptacle does say 30A -125V/245V.

So i'm going to go back at it when I get out of work today to recheck the thermostats and fuses and heater coils.
In an earlier post you mentioned to make sure I unplug the wires going to each component before I check them. Should I unplug both wires or just one? And as long as I get any reading other than O.L. then that means there should be continuity and the component is working, correct?

I really do appreciate your help!

-Llew

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
    • JW's Sublime Appliance Advice
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2009, 08:52:30 AM »
With the power disconnected you should take at least one wire off each thermostat and limit just to be sure you don't somehow get a false read. 
May the hinges of our friendship
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2009, 08:57:07 AM »
If it runs at all and the heating element is OK then you most likely need a limit kit. It mounts on the element canister.

Dryer Thermal Cut - Off Kit, part number: AP3094244

« Last Edit: February 18, 2009, 09:02:12 AM by JWWebster »
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline llew_x

• VIP Member
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2009, 08:59:50 AM »
I'm sorry, I'm not too sure what you mean by "limit" after diconnecting at least one wire from each thermostat. Could you please further explain?

I really don't mean to sound stupid but I don't want to pretend I understand advice being given when I don't fully understand... I just want to get her fixed and be up and running again.

-Llew

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2009, 09:08:51 AM »
You dryer has a series of safetys. If the control thermostat fails, the filter housing gets blocked with lint, or the vent gets stopped up  the heat could cause a fire. The bottom cannister thermostat limit is the lowest temp one 250F, it should shut down first if it fails then the limit mounted at the top of the cannister is set to Blow at 300F When it blows that is an indication of an external vent blockage. If the problem is from within the dryer then the fuse mounted on the blower housing will blow an the dryer won't run. The fuse is rated at 350F and is tied into the door switch. That is why the wires are smaller. They don't carry the heat load. If the duct fuse blows it is the same as if you opened the door. The dryer simply quits running.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2009, 09:11:31 AM by JWWebster »
        never grow rusty.

I love fan letters! LOL

Offline llew_x

• VIP Member
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2009, 11:22:29 AM »
OK, good news...I think.
An electrician friend of mine from work came over the house to take a look at the dryer today.
With the dryer plugged in he checked terminal where the plug is and then started checking the fuses and thermostats. Everything seemed ok until he put his leads across heating coil terminals and found it to have no continuity.
We removed the heating element and found where a section of the coil was broken.

So I'm happy now that I believe I know what the problem is and all I need now is a part number for the heating coil.

Offline llew_x

• VIP Member
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2009, 11:53:14 AM »
Ok, so i clicked the link at the bottom of the page for Sears/Kenmore parts delivery, putt in model # in the appropriate field and couldn't come up with an exact match. It gave me 13 or so of the closest matches, the 3 listed that weren't coin operated look to be exactly like what I have....except one thing. The picture shows 3 different views of my heater element and none of those views is showing the High limit thermostat. Shouldn't the new heater come with the thermostat?

The part # I have, at least what I think it's supposed to be is AP2974879

Offline AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
    • ApplianceJunk.com - Appliance Repair
« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2009, 01:58:48 PM »

So I'm happy now that I believe I know what the problem is and all I need now is a part number for the heating coil.

Heating Element Factory Part Number: 279838

Shouldn't the new heater come with the thermostat?

No

The high limit thermostat that is on the heating element is part number 3977767.

Hope you find our website helpful.

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2009, 04:49:25 PM »
a 279838 is the 2nd highest priced of the 3 most popular.
        never grow rusty.

I love fan letters! LOL

Offline llew_x

• VIP Member
« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2009, 08:17:19 PM »
Ahh, cheap is good.

Question though....the terminal of the heater coil and the high limit thermostat are bussed together by what looks like either a spot weld or somehow crimped together. There's 3 little dimples that seem to be keeping the 2 components together.

Should I drill a hole in each and nut and bolt the two together?

Kenmore 70 series electric dryer...wont heat

Started by lalakelley

Replies: 53
Views: 41246
Last post November 24, 2011, 02:40:03 AM
by RegUS_PatOff
Kenmore 70 series electric dryer no heat again

Started by weadhopper

Replies: 5
Views: 5612
Last post May 14, 2009, 11:13:08 PM
by JWWebster