Get Answers to your Appliance Repair Questions

Washer PartsDryer PartsRefrigerator PartsDishwasher PartsRange & Oven PartsAll Appliance Parts

Author Topic: Smutty, Grimy, Dirty, Slimy, Nasty Stuff In My Washer - Whirlpool LSQ9030PQ5  (Read 812 times)

Offline mytai11

• VIP Member

Hi Guys,

I've had great success with this forum - I'm well on my way to having a perfectly running dryer for pennies on the dollar compared to what it would have cost to have a technician come out.  You can see my most recent post about my dryer here:  Wheels, Tensioner, Belt, and Baffle Repair and Cleaning

So, I'm feeling a little more confident here, and ready to try to improve my washer situation.  I have a:

Model Number:  Whirlpool LSQ9030PQ5
Serial Number:  GT0520435

I bought this used unit and transported it home on its back or side...I can't remember which.  Scored the pair, washer and dryer for $125, and so far, things have been good.  I spent a little on the dryer to get it back into tip-top shape, and now I need to address the washer.

I've been getting some leftover nasty stuff at the bottom of the tub, as noted in the title of my post.  I really want to give the unit a good cleaning.  I can tell you that I've found, thus far, some old gum in the bleach filler, some really nasty scum underneath the lip of the top washer cover (which I haven't cleaned yet,) and what I've said about the leftover dirt and scum in the tub after washing a load. 

That's the crux:  I want to give this unit a really good cleaning inside and out.  I can tell you I've had the transmission out of a washer years ago, and also I'm very much mechanically inclined (locksmithing, watchmaking, auto repair,) but I'm not too well acquainted with clothes washers anymore.  Whatever I was doing at the time 25 years ago, I lost the knowledge associated with that particular repair.  In fact, I remember returning the replacement transmission after realizing that couldn't have been the problem! 

So, I'm hoping I can do what I need to do to get this thing cleaning correctly again.  Many thanks, in advance, to my brother and sister do-it-yourselfer's out there - but particularly to those who contribute to this forum.

Happy New Year, and kind regards,

Maitai

Offline Paul91887

• Technician
Hi friend. Normally i would tell my customer to run a hot water cycle multiple times with bleach and be done with it but i have a feeling your not going to be satisfied with that. Im on my phone so bear with me but if you are so inclined to remove the basket to scrub it you are going to need a whirlpool spanner wrench. https://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Whirlpool-Washing-Machine-Spanner-Wrench/TB123A/1021707?ss=a11b5i321&TLSID=1779&Ref=611198&gclid=CICU7dTUp9ECFQ5MDQod-MQEFg What u need to do is remove the outer cabinet of the washer there are 2 clips underneath the console. The cabinet will come right off pulling forward. I suggest watching a youtube video for that portion. After u successfully take the cabinet off you want to remove the agitator it. Take the top cap off and there will be even a 7/16 bolt or a square hole in which case just use the end of a half inch extention without a socket on it. One that is removed you can removw the tub cover that is just held on with some tabs. Careful not to break as they can become dry and brittle with age. Underneath the agitator there will be a little metal clip and a plastic ring take those out. Remove the center nut with spanner wrench (normal threads) and try and work the basket off the drive block. I hope that was helpful for you! Cheers

Offline mytai11

• VIP Member
Paul:

Your whole message came through without a hitch!   You are so kind to have taken the time to write such a detailed description - and you're right!   I do want to do a thorough job, even moreso because I've tried the empty hot washing method several times.   I'll buy the wrench and do a little studying, in addition to the good information you provided here.   Once I'm done,  I'll report back with my results.

Again,  Paul,  thank you very much for giving.

Kind regards,

Maitai

Offline dab147315

• Technician
This video will petty much tell you how to get it apart.

Offline mytai11

• VIP Member
Thank you Dab  :thanks:

Offline mytai11

• VIP Member
Hey Fellas,

Got the spanner in the mail today and tore this beast apart; I worked on it for the better part of three hours - and I mean work!  This thing was disgusting inside...rocks at the bottom, smut scraped off with a putty knife, scum blasted off with high pressure water, orange-stained tub on the outside, and I think I went through about eight rags cleaning everything.  It was nasty. 

Thanks for the video Dab, worked to a "T."  That 7/16 bolt was half rusted...almost didn't get it out, but once I did, I was able to pare away some built-up rust with my putty knife.  I even disconnected the secondary tub hose to make sure none of the grime and junk was left inside the system. 

I ran a hot cycle...the first thing to pour out?  BLACK SCUM!  It washed right away after the cycle, though.  All parts were soaked and cleaned.  I feel a little proud for how well it turned out, thanks to you guys :) :thanks:

Paul:  Your instruction was instrumental to the success of the job. 

You guys are the real deal.  I thank you very, very much for helping me help myself.  Next job:  Dryer drum heat seal.  Seal and cement sitting on my countertop.  Maybe tomorrow.  I should be golden thereafter!  These $125 steals (total spent to buy washer and dryer) are working out quite well...but  I think they're older than the couple years the lady I bought them from told me they were. 

At any rate, thank you very, very much fellas. 

Take care,

Maitai :cheers:

Offline olyteddy

• Technician
Another item to check for cleanliness is the 1/4" pressure sensing hose and its air-bell. If that's clogged the machine will overflow. If the hose is fouled I'd replace that too. No point risking a flood for 50 worth of hose.

« Last Edit: January 15, 2017, 08:16:46 PM by olyteddy »

Whirlpool washer LSQ9030PQ5 spins slow or not at all.

Started by rjs

Replies: 3
Views: 7146
Last post December 19, 2007, 01:17:28 AM
by BrntToast
Repair Guide: Whirlpool Direct Drive Washer - No agitate or spin

Started by AJ

Replies: 13
Views: 37845
Last post January 02, 2009, 01:09:38 PM
by AJ
Video: Whirlpool Washer Motor - Bad connection..

Started by AJ

Replies: 3
Views: 6195
Last post July 29, 2013, 06:32:05 PM
by AJ
Video: Whirlpool Made Direct Drive Washer Motor Coupler Replacement

Started by AJ

Replies: 18
Views: 53462
Last post May 18, 2010, 06:53:50 AM
by gimpyjones
Video: How To Replace a Water Pump On A Whirlpool Made Direct Drive Washer