Author Topic: Is there an alternative to Matag dryer buzzer?  (Read 2941 times)

Offline drgrafix

• VIP Member
Is there an alternative to Matag dryer buzzer?
« on: February 12, 2009, 08:44:23 AM »
Other than disabling it?  I can appreciate the concept of letting the user know that the load is dry and ready to be removed... but with the windows open you can hear that dopey buzzer across the street!  Someone could turn a nice profit if they offered either a rheostat-controlled buzzer or chime that was adjustable from behind the control panel.  Could a doorbell be used?  I'm serious.

Offline RAH52

• Technician
Re: Is there an alternative to Matag dryer buzzer?
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2009, 06:43:28 PM »
Maybe try wrapping the buzzer in black electrical tape then reinstall it . That may muffle the sound .If that doesn't work disconnect it isolate the wires and hire the neighborhood kid to tell you the load is done .

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
    • JW's Sublime Appliance Advice
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2009, 08:06:15 PM »
You could do like that dude on the news. He connected something to his machine to let his computer know the clothes were done. Have your Dryer send you an Email. Get a corporate sponser to help you with the application. When you get the email it will read: Dominoe pizza $5.00 special for thumpday thursday, get yer clothes out the dryer they is did! :D
« Last Edit: February 12, 2009, 08:10:29 PM by JWWebster »
May the hinges of our friendship
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline Repair-man

• Technician
  • The Virtual Repairman
    • The Virtual Repairmans Appliance Help
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2009, 09:02:04 PM »
You can put a rheostat on there as well, inline with the chime circuit.  If you shop for dryers in the future, take note that the higher-end Maytag dryers have adjustable buzzers.
"It's only expensive if someone else fixes it for you" -
The Virtual Repairman   www.repair2000.com

Offline drgrafix

• VIP Member
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2009, 04:35:07 PM »
Just an update.  I decided that before the squeaking starts again, I would replace the rollers and after checking the belt... I did that too.  Buttoned it up about an hour ago and all the benchmarks are good... almost as quiet as a mouse.  Followed all the normal guidelines here about cleaning the shafts and such.  I also removed the idler roller and cleaned that... didn't replace the roller there, but I got rid of all the crud, lint, and other junk then I simply surfaced it with a dab of lubriplate white  high temp lithium grease and wiped off the excess with my finger before putting the idler roller back on.

The belt was cracked quite a bit so even though it hadn't broken, I figured why not?

I like that idea of hooking up a door chime to that annoying buzzer.  Is the buzzer located on a circuit board or is it pigtailed and buried someplace in the dash?

Offline Repair-man

• Technician
  • The Virtual Repairman
    • The Virtual Repairmans Appliance Help
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2009, 04:43:11 PM »
Have a look at the  wiring diagram in your control panel...it shows you where the buzzer is connected. It  runs from a timer contract thru the motor centrifugal switch circuit, so that it buzzes when the motor comes to a stop. If you were to turn the timer to the OFF position and press start, the buzzer will sound. Locate the 2 wires at the  buzzer (small black rectangle) and interpose whatever 120 volt device you want into that circuit. as long as it does not draw more than 7 amps .

If you put a door chime on there, you'll spend a lot of time running back and forth to answer the door til you get used to it :)
"It's only expensive if someone else fixes it for you" -
The Virtual Repairman   www.repair2000.com

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
    • JW's Sublime Appliance Advice
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2009, 08:31:00 PM »
Get grandma to record a message on a cassette player. Connect the cassette player up to the buzzer and rig it to play when powered up. When the buzzer goes off it will be granny : git the DAYUM clothes out fool!  :tickedoff: O0 :2funny:
May the hinges of our friendship
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

turning off buzzer on maytag dryer

Started by kellonnie

Replies: 7
Views: 4736
Last post February 24, 2010, 05:36:10 PM
by kellonnie
Kennore Dryer problems

Started by smckeown

Replies: 6
Views: 8589
Last post July 10, 2007, 09:31:02 AM
by smckeown
LDG7304 Maytag Dryer - making a lot of noise.

Started by robert

Replies: 5
Views: 7293
Last post February 20, 2011, 07:33:06 PM
by jumptrout51
Amana dryer making noise

Started by bigvonne

Replies: 1
Views: 3320
Last post May 19, 2008, 12:53:38 PM
by apptech
Maytag Dryer Problem