Author Topic: Whirlpool Washer agitates and spins when it wants to!  (Read 18803 times)

Offline tidebatt1

• VIP Member
Re: Whirlpool Washer agitates and spins when it wants to!
« Reply #30 on: December 23, 2007, 06:11:38 PM »
I've ordered the neutral pak for my gearcase, I'm just waiting for it to arrive. I really believe that a combination of the said pak and the new dogs, my problems will be solved.

Once I get the parts in I'll have my son video it and post them.

Offline AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
    • ApplianceJunk.com - Appliance Repair
« Reply #31 on: December 23, 2007, 06:20:19 PM »
Sounds great,
I will be looking forward to seeing the video.

Hope you find our site helpful.

Offline tidebatt1

• VIP Member
« Reply #32 on: January 06, 2008, 08:06:16 PM »
Finally, I received my parts! Those darn holidays sure do throw the parcel services off! I drained the oil out of the gearcase first so as not to bore, and found the oil drain pan to be a nice platform for the gearcase. My son shot the vid, so it's a little shaky but he's 11 and was pretty eager to help.

Once the top was off and the gears were exposed it went as planned, I did find that holding the shaft helped a little with the disassembly process when removing the gear. I did not see any visible damage to the parts however I changed them anyhow. After I located the X on the main drive gear I chose the correct plate furnished in the kit, used the large pawl stud and assembled the neutral pak.

After a little bit of trial and error I was able to get the gear back as it was. I then installed it along with new agitator dogs, and I put in a new coupler for the heck of it, put the motor, pump, and cabinet back on and... Voila! Success! It worked, no strange noises, no unusual pauses, just a washer that worked as it did before! OH HAPPY DAY!!!! Even though I have already replaced the machine it gives me joy to have repaired the old one.

Thanks for all of the help AJ!

Offline AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
    • ApplianceJunk.com - Appliance Repair
« Reply #33 on: January 06, 2008, 08:30:40 PM »
Absolutely awesome videos!  O0

Hope you find our site helpful.

Offline tidebatt1

• VIP Member
« Reply #34 on: January 06, 2008, 08:36:05 PM »
Thanks!
After you said that you never repair them, just replace I must admit that I had my doubts. However, from a professional's stand point I can see how it would be time consuming, and giving a warranty on just one part inside of the gearcase would be difficult.

Offline tidebatt1

• VIP Member
« Reply #35 on: January 18, 2008, 06:19:53 PM »
After a week or so of working fine, I have the same problem :ahhh: I'm going to change the capacitor this weekend and see if that helps.

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
    • JW's Sublime Appliance Advice
« Reply #36 on: January 19, 2008, 08:05:27 PM »
I have come across bad trannys that have the worm gear pin sheared off and this allows for agitate while spinning. I could fix it but the average repair guy would need to change out the transmission.
May the hinges of our friendship
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline tidebatt1

• VIP Member
« Reply #37 on: January 19, 2008, 09:19:07 PM »
I'm not scared to tear into it. As I said in another post I have already replaced this machine, it's just a matter of pride now. I don't understand how it went from working to having the same problem? It's a puzzler???

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
« Reply #38 on: January 20, 2008, 09:48:03 AM »
Here is a tip: Next time you install a neutral pak into a tranny
use the original plates. Do not use the plates that are furnished with the kit or their will be a failure.
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline tidebatt1

• VIP Member
« Reply #39 on: January 20, 2008, 02:54:36 PM »
Wouldn't you know it, I discarded the plate........ :tickedoff:

Offline maypo52

• VIP Member
« Reply #40 on: January 21, 2008, 09:57:25 AM »
JWWebster - Just out of curiosity, why would the new plates cause a failure?

Here is a tip: Next time you install a neutral pak into a tranny
use the original plates. Do not use the plates that are furnished with the kit or their will be a failure.
My philosophies:

If it ain't broke, don't fix it and When all else fails RTFM (read the "funny" manual)

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
« Reply #41 on: January 21, 2008, 11:00:12 AM »
I wondered that myself and was told by the rebuild man that the
plates are for different manufactured runs on these trannys and what is not provided is which tranny fits which plate. So use the original and that problem goes away.
        never grow rusty.

I love fan letters! LOL

Offline tidebatt1

• VIP Member
« Reply #42 on: March 27, 2008, 08:15:58 PM »
Update.....
I decided to use the old machine the other day to wash some shop rags etc. Just for giggles before doing so I replaced the start capacitor (picked it up at a local store for about $4) Even though my old capacitor tested good for the cost, I couldn't turn it down. My machine purred like a kitten when it came time. I tested the capacitor several times just to make sure, but it tests good, just like the new one. So after the first load I put the old one back in, and my problem showed up again. Stopped it, removed original capacitor, replaced with new one, advanced the timer around to where it was and...it worked like a charm. Am I to think that it was my problem the whole time? Not to say that I didn't enjoy learning about the machine, and it's inner workings, I just don't see how it could test good yet be bad? :thinking:

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
« Reply #43 on: March 27, 2008, 11:57:15 PM »
With our weather anythang is possible. That start capacitor allows all the windings to be energized for the first 5 seconds. That is all it does. these can get open. They can leak out. They can swell. A permanent split capacitor is one that allows for a split in the windings AFTER the motor gets going. It does this by separating inwardly. I have not seen too many of these fail however. Puzzling
« Last Edit: March 28, 2008, 12:00:51 AM by JWWebster »
        never grow rusty.

I love fan letters! LOL

Offline Repair-man

• Technician
  • The Virtual Repairman
    • The Virtual Repairmans Appliance Help
« Reply #44 on: March 28, 2008, 07:30:34 AM »
That start capacitor allows all the windings to be energized for the first 5 seconds.  A permanent split capacitor is one that allows for a split in the windings AFTER the motor gets going. It does this by separating inwardly. I have not seen too many of these fail however. Puzzling

The term "permanent Split Capacitor' refers only to the motor type. Permanent split capacitor (PSC) motors do not have a starting switch or a capacitor strictly for starting. Instead, permanent split capacitor motors have a run-type capacitor that is permanently connected in series with the start winding. This makes the start winding an auxiliary winding after the motor reaches running speed. These are used mainly in compressors. The washer uses a split-phase motor.

The capacitor does not separate inwardly. It has no moving parts, only electrode plates with paper wrapping and a dielectric paste for conductivity.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2008, 08:01:11 AM by Repair-man »
"It's only expensive if someone else fixes it for you" -
The Virtual Repairman   www.repair2000.com

whirlpool washer, drum spins, but agitator agitates during spin cycle!

Started by larry39

Replies: 6
Views: 4799
Last post May 05, 2009, 11:52:56 AM
by Al Capone
Whirlpool washer LSQ9030PQ5 spins slow or not at all.

Started by rjs

Replies: 3
Views: 4907
Last post December 19, 2007, 01:17:28 AM
by BrntToast
whirlpool washer stops after it agitates.....

Started by spaceannie54

Replies: 6
Views: 2583
Last post July 13, 2008, 09:00:38 PM
by whirlpooltech
Whirlpool Washer Agitates, but no Spin

Started by Chevy96d

Replies: 3
Views: 4557
Last post November 02, 2008, 01:12:22 PM
by Repair-man
Sears Kenmore Washer 80 series not draining but agitates and spins OK