Free Service - Appliance Repair Help & Troubleshooting

Author Topic: Drive, drop box, evrnote, or attachment. Copy the link of one post to the next  (Read 599 times)

Offline curjones

• Technician
  • Service Tech, Owner
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
Ok, I am trying to figure out the system and how I can also help.

I search drive for this site and dont find the manual. Drive is not a very searchable cloud, must be in title, does not search content.

Evernote searches content .

I request a manual, and my fellow on here, drops, a drive link, but its not this sites Drive iti s his Drive.  So I copy the link, note in evernote, down load it then put it in my Drop Box, because its easy to share with Drop box.

I am not all that up on how to share , my drive files, or how to post it  (with Drive )so that this new file can be added to the sites file, so others may find it and save them time.

Some use attachments, I can download the file, but have no way to share them with another, unless I leave a drop box link.

If I leave a drop link, can they access my other files, I dont want them to have?

AJ I believe you quit using EVERNOTE links because it did not have security to personal photos..ect.. which is sad, because it is the most searchable.

I need to know more about Drive, and share.  I dont need drive for my personal system, but when it comes to helping others I need to be able to put it on drive to share my find, or what others gave me after their long hours of searching, for a model, specific manual.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2016, 02:20:20 PM by curjones »
About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack(diet coke in my case) . The small green square=personal message.

Offline AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
    • ApplianceJunk.com - Appliance Repair
It can get complicated that's for sure. At this point I have tried all the main cloud service including Google Drive, Dropbox, OneDrive, Evernote, iCloud, AWS and probably more that I can't recall at this time.

It seems no matter the cloud service being used the owner always has more search option then the people it's being shared with.

With that being said I have our Google Drive set up so you can copy our complete Google Drive to your own Google Drive.

Drive is not a very searchable cloud, must be in title, does not search content.

Here are some Google Drive search tips.
http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/7-google-drive-search-tips-help-find-anything/

That brings us to the next problem we run into. None of the cloud services provide enough FREE space to hold our complete collection of service manuals so you will have to pay for more space in order to copy our complete Google Drive over to your own Google Drive.

I use and pay for extra space on not only Google Drive but also Dropbox, OneDrive, Evernote and iCloud.
I love using Evernote and use it daily. Evernote is like my own personal Wikipedia that is all about my work and life. :)

It's been my experiance over the years of running this website that the majority of people don't like to pay for things like service manuals. Even if I provide access to thousands of them for free people don't like the fact that they end up having to pay Google a few bucks in order to download them all to there own Google Drive.

At one time I offered our complete collection of service manuals on a USB drive for a price. Been awhile ago so I don't remember all the details anymore, but I do remember people still bitched about getting updates to their USB drive after the fact.

I told the few that bitched about not getting there USB drives updated to just send me their USB drive and I would download the current Google Drive to it for free. Do you think they would even include a few buck for return shipping? No!

I think at this point in time Google Drive is the best way for me to giveaway our complete collection of manuals because if you don't like google drive you are free to download the complete collection to your own google drive and move it to where ever you want from there.

Hope that all makes sense and I don't come off and sounding harsh. It's been another long day. Is it Friday yet? :D

Offline Larry the applia

• Technician
AJ know it dont pay the bills but your work and site is much appreciated. Also made a small donation  :cheers:
« Last Edit: June 29, 2016, 03:31:07 PM by Larry the applia »

Offline AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
AJ know it dont pay the bills but your work and site is much appreciated. Also made a small donation  :cheers:

Thanks for the kind words and the donation, very much appreciated. thanks!

Offline curjones

• Technician
  • Service Tech, Owner
I have the AJ on my drive. And am going to read the search help.  I just got a notification I have to use only two devices on evernote or pay there price.  Which I will pay, because its so much of my system now along with dropbox, which is about to be full.

I know how to drop, links from dropbox, but not so much on drive, and then Chrome and Drive are no longer updating on my vista, so appears I will have to buy a computer.. lol   

They get us going or coming, but like you said its so valuable and it takes lots of admin time to just get it organized and available.

I had to come back and search tonight, because the model number is one number off, older and has things in different places.

Fixing to post another question, and trying at the same time to help others..  Might be up to 2 am.

Thanks for all you do, and the contributors.

Trying to untangle and sort it out.  I believe I have the complete drive, on my drive.

I did some dropbox links tonite. Can  I Send them to the AJ drive, or does an administrator have to put them on. 

I am hoping my Dropbox is set up right for security where you can only get that link.. access

got to find out more on my late evening call ,samsung for customer and then get better at using and contributing.. thanks
« Last Edit: July 02, 2016, 10:57:16 PM by curjones »
About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack(diet coke in my case) . The small green square=personal message.

Offline AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
I just got a notification I have to use only two devices on evernote or pay there price.  Which I will pay, because its so much of my system now along with dropbox, which is about to be full.

If you had been paying for evernote before you maybe getting a 50% off offer via email from evernote.
At least I received such a offer the day after the first email about the rate increase.

Annual Plan $69.99
50% off first year - $34.99
-------------------------------
                      Total $35.00

From what I have been reading online a lot of people have been receiving the 50% off.

Evernote has their own forums, https://discussion.evernote.com/

but I learn a lot from this site too.
https://www.reddit.com/r/evernote

I really love evernote, but now I don't know what to make of the price increase.
Could really care less about the price as I would be willing to pay even more, but what worries me is if the price increase is just a sign of them closing up shop soon.

Guess I can only support them for now and hope they stay in business as I have yet to find anything better then Evernote.

At least if they go under it's won't be because I did not support them. :)

Offline curjones

• Technician
  • Service Tech, Owner
Got that, offer, and like you said, reasonable, next year will be more, but still reasonable,

what ticks me off is when they get unreasonable, and big head, greedy,

double price next year, then go up 50% the next.

55 dollar membership, now 159.00 today.

I have noticed BLUE BOOK went way up in three years, was 99.00 now, 189.00.

I want it as a tool, but I either buy parts,or the Book and  Dont eat nothing but pork and beans without the pork.   Some sites and tools are very good, but have to look at cash flow and make due with what you have..  until you get this baby off the ground. and it stops bouncing so much..lol

Offline AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
Yeah, just hope Evernote don't price themselves out of business. I spent a good part of yesterday afternoon and a few hours today looking into http://www.onenote.com/ again.

The Evernote to Onenote importer seems to work fine.
https://www.onenote.com/import-evernote-to-onenote

But there are still a lot of things I don't care for in Onenote compared to Evernote, but I will probably keep playing around with it for awhile.

Who knows how things will pan out a year from now. Maybe Evernote will have some kind of sale again, cost to much or be out of business.
Maybe Onenote will have enough new feature by this time next year that it will be my go to app for notes.

Some blogger repaired his dishwasher and post a link to ApplianceJunk.com

Started by whirlpooltech

Replies: 3
Views: 2701
Last post April 06, 2009, 08:17:23 AM
by Al Capone
Link to General Electic Technical

Started by Icehouse

Replies: 2
Views: 3021
Last post October 26, 2008, 08:34:07 PM
by Icehouse
Don't email us your appliance repair questions, post your questions in the forum

Started by AJ

Replies: 0
Views: 5253
Last post December 27, 2008, 03:30:48 PM
by AJ
fex831cs0 measuring voltage drop when testing for defective part

Started by viking351

Replies: 1
Views: 2676
Last post February 01, 2009, 05:39:02 AM
by Icehouse
Help others and post about your service calls.

Started by AJ

Replies: 15
Views: 6236
Last post June 06, 2012, 09:08:12 AM
by AJ
Recent post

Started by bigbuck

Replies: 1
Views: 1357
Last post March 09, 2013, 08:01:20 PM
by AJ