Author Topic: freezer not cooling  (Read 2643 times)

Offline madisonsmom9

• VIP Member
freezer not cooling
« on: February 08, 2009, 07:49:55 PM »
Hi, we are having problems with our freezer not cooling .  It usually stays between 30-35 degrees and now the ice won't even make since it's not cool enough.  The refrigerator side is working fine, but even on the coldest level the freezer will not maintain a cold enough temp.  We pulled the fridge out and vacuumed the back off but didn't help.  What do we do next?
Thanks so much for any help you can give.
Kim

Model GSL25JFPA

Offline Repair-man

• Technician
  • The Virtual Repairman
    • The Virtual Repairmans Appliance Help
Re: freezer not cooling
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2009, 07:25:11 AM »
Other than cleaning the  back, make sure the little fan is running back there when the unit is cooling.

To determine if this is a sealed system problem and not a defrost issue, examine the coils inside the freezer section. If there is not a full line of light frost on the entire assembly, you may have a leak. This is usually exemplified by a small ball of ice forming  where the tiny capillary tube feeds into the evaporator.

Naturally, we do not want to find a heap of frost choking the whole coil, either. This would indicate a defrost issue. Look in there and report back.
"It's only expensive if someone else fixes it for you" -
The Virtual Repairman   www.repair2000.com

Offline westsidedoc

• VIP Member
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2009, 02:51:37 AM »
First check your freezer door gasket to make sure it is not damaged, cracked, and is making a good seal.  I always set both controls to there middle position. Your refrigerator side will only be cold if the freezer side is working. Try rotating the freezer control in the opposite direction.  It is not an electrical part, it just opens and closes a vent that let's air from the freezer side into the refrigerator side. When you set the control to it's coldest setting you may in fact be allowing too much cold air from the freezer into your refrigerator.

Look for a vent in your refrigerator coming from the freezer side and hold your hand over it, you should feel an airflow, now rotate the control the opposite way, if you feel less airflow you are closing the vent and the freezer should become colder.

There is a second control in the refrigerator side, which is the electrical thermostat, by rotating this to a lower, or warmer setting you should hear the refrigerator shut off. Turn it to a higher setting and the refrigerator should turn on.

"There is no such thing as a refrigerator, their are freezersí who share there cold air on a limited basis" It's there way of saying stay cool.

Offline Repair-man

• Technician
  • The Virtual Repairman
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2009, 03:19:52 AM »
Doc, around here, it is better to keep one tech on the topic until an issue is resolved. Too many cooks confuse the issue, and a lot of bad avdice gets thrown into the picture. For example:

It is not an electrical part, it just opens and closes a vent that let's air from the freezer side into the refrigerator side.

The damper is indeed an electrical part, as shown below for this model:

I'm sure you have some technical experience, but we look into the model numbers before we offer any significant advice. People can get the general stuff at any old website...not here.

Offline westsidedoc

• VIP Member
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2009, 04:00:41 AM »
Repair-man

I appologize for my post.  While searching for some information I came across this site, found what I needed and thought I may be of assistance to this post  Being new, I was unaware of the one tech rule.

Sincerly, Doc

Offline Repair-man

• Technician
  • The Virtual Repairman
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2009, 04:05:29 AM »
It's not a rule, per-se, but more along the lines of common courtesy. When one tech starts a session with a poster, it is clearly confusing if we all join in like a gaggle of geese hurling suggestions to the poster which may or may not help them out. I appreciate your input, however and if you want to take the time to look into each appliance by model number when someone has a question, then your answers will be more likely to help rather than frustrate the reader.

This board thrives on information provided by experienced technicians, so all persons who are capable of helping out are encouraged to do so, including yourself. What is your technical experience history so the rest of us can get a grasp of your expertise?
« Last Edit: February 10, 2009, 04:09:00 AM by Repair-man »

Problem with Kenmore refrigerator not cooling, but freezer and icemaker are ok

Started by Bigmetalman

Replies: 3
Views: 6762
Last post February 13, 2008, 11:03:25 AM
by Bigmetalman
Whirlpool Freezer Intermittant Cooling

Started by TechnicianBrian

Replies: 0
Views: 1464
Last post August 14, 2008, 06:28:49 AM
by TechnicianBrian
Frigidaire Freezer not Cooling

Started by TechnicianBrian

Replies: 0
Views: 9241
Last post August 30, 2008, 07:54:56 AM
by TechnicianBrian
CROSLEY FRIDGE FREEZER NOT COOLING

Started by flair

Replies: 9
Views: 6666
Last post October 15, 2009, 08:02:50 PM
by JWWebster
KENMORE REFRIGERATOR NOT COOLING, FREEZER COLD

Started by whit

Replies: 3
Views: 4601
Last post December 17, 2008, 06:52:14 AM
by whit
GE side by side Refrigerator and freezer are not cooling.

Started by meamor

Replies: 1
Views: 4290
Last post January 15, 2009, 08:38:18 PM
by JWWebster