Author Topic: Maytag Top-Load Washer - Smoking Motor  (Read 8620 times)

Offline Dennis M

• VIP Member
Maytag Top-Load Washer - Smoking Motor
« on: February 06, 2009, 01:09:53 PM »
First of all, I have searched around on your forum and am very impressed.  Thank you for providing such a great source of information.  I did find a posting about removing the front panel which was helpful.

I am helping a neighbor (95 years old) with her wash machine problem.  She washed a load today and the washer began to smoke.  It was unplugged when I arrived.

I removed the cover and manually reached under the unit to check the belts as I thought the smoke may have been caused by broken, slipping belts.  They turn freely and appear to be in good shape.  (This washer may be 20 years old but a single woman of old age---low usage.  

The clothes sere removed but water remains in the tub.  After a couple of hours I plugged in the unit and put it on the spin cycle to remove water from the tub and see if the smoke would appear again.

After only a few seconds smoke poured from inside the motor.  It appears to be burned up.  I unplugged the washer again.  When I manually turn the belts the motor does turn so it is not siezed but looks charred inside.  So I'm guessing a replacement is needed.

From the links I've found from this site it looks like that motor is about $130 but out of stock.  I may be able to obtain one locally.

To the question(s).......

Is this common?  Do you think there is something else that is putting stress on the motor that prevents it from working properly?  As I mentioned, when I manually move the belts the motor moves freely.  I was going to remove the motor and released the springs on the rocker mechanism which was a mistake because now I have to get that open to reconnect the springs.  

After looking at schematics of this model it appears as though I need to tip the washer back and remove the motor by removing four screws from underneath?  Am I correct?  Also, I made a diagram of where wiring harness wires were connected to the switch.  Will a new motor have the switch attached or will I have to remove the present switch and attach to a new motor?

The washer is very clean inside---especially for one that is 20 years old.

Thank you in advance for any advice you can provide.

Dennis

Model A183

Offline jumptrout51

• Technician
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
Re: Maytag Top-Load Washer - Smoking Motor
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2009, 02:09:40 PM »
The motor will definitely have to be replaced.
You however, may also have a seized spin bearing. Did the washer attempt to spin when you tried to pump out water?
Take a Kid fishing.

Offline Dennis M

• VIP Member
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2009, 02:45:47 PM »
Thank you for the reply.  The washer did attempt to spin, but it was only a second or two before the motor began to smoke pretty good.  The woman did tell me that she could hear it "laboring" during the washing cycle.  I double-checked with her and she said the tub had filled and switched to the agitate cycle when it began to smoke.  So I don't think it got to the spin cycle yet before she encountered her problem.

I would imagine replacing the bearing would be a much more difficult job which may required a trained technician?

I had planned to go ahead and replace the motor as I did locate one locally, but have not purchased it yet.  $150.

Offline Dennis M

• VIP Member
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2009, 02:47:24 PM »
Additionally.........I could test it again by putting it on the wash cycle and see if it smokes again (rather than spin).

Dennis

Offline Repair-man

• Technician
  • The Virtual Repairman
    • The Virtual Repairmans Appliance Help
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2009, 03:07:28 PM »
20 years old? not hardly, try 30 or more. The A183 models were not made after 1978

Don't worry too much about the bearings...if you can turn the large drive pulley in both directions fairly easily, so can a motor. I would opt for the new motor if the insides are in good shape.
"It's only expensive if someone else fixes it for you" -
The Virtual Repairman   www.repair2000.com

Offline Dennis M

• VIP Member
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2009, 03:13:32 PM »
Thank you for your time.  In looking at new washers a similar replacement is only twice the price of the motor.  Pay me now, or pay me later.  Thanks again for the help!

Dennis

Offline Dennis M

• VIP Member
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2009, 03:14:59 PM »
I just saw what you said about the age.  She claims she bought it new when she bought this house, 19 years ago.  It may have sat in the warehouse for eleven years!  Thanks.

Offline Repair-man

• Technician
  • The Virtual Repairman
    • The Virtual Repairmans Appliance Help
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2009, 05:24:48 PM »
If you'll post the serial number I can see when it rolled out of Newton
"It's only expensive if someone else fixes it for you" -
The Virtual Repairman   www.repair2000.com

Offline Dennis M

• VIP Member
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2009, 05:36:28 PM »
Thank you.  I'll get it when I go back over there but it won't be tonight.  I did find a web site that breaks down the serial number.  Looks like a replacement washer is the way to go.  An additional $100 and she'll have a new one.  She's 95...it's doesn't have to last forever! :)

Offline theoldstoveguy

• Technician
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2009, 09:05:20 PM »
If she is 95 she may want to keep that FAMILIAR machine. I have a lot of customers who don't want to learn how to run a new one. Something to think about. You may want her to decide.

Offline Dennis M

• VIP Member
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2009, 10:02:38 PM »
That is a good point.  I did discuss it with her but I'll run it past her again before we buy a new one.  There is something to be said about familiarity.  Thank you.

Offline pwcunning

• VIP Member
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2009, 11:20:20 AM »
Who says A183 werent made after 1978?  I bought one NEW in 1988.  Still have it

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
    • JW's Sublime Appliance Advice
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2009, 05:45:12 PM »
Is the pump locked up?
May the hinges of our friendship
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Maytag Neptune Front-load Washer Smoking (MAH8700AWW)

Started by jrossano

Replies: 7
Views: 3503
Last post October 16, 2012, 06:32:33 AM
by tgoods
Maytag washer how to check motor?

Started by jonesrsrg

Replies: 6
Views: 2776
Last post February 01, 2008, 09:31:29 PM
by JWWebster
16007803 Maytag Front Load Washer Service Repair Manual