Author Topic: How to replace a Whirlpool Duet washer bellow tub door seal  (Read 74204 times)

Offline schaffersapplian

• Technician
  • Every action has a reaction
    • Facebook
Re: How to replace a Whirlpool Duet washer bellow tub door seal
« Reply #30 on: January 05, 2012, 06:18:46 PM »
Niobrara, Are you talking about the Electrolux style bellow with the inner spring around the tub?  If so i use the shipping bolts that come with the bellow to hold the gasket and spring in place and work it around.  Its tough, but still quicker for me to do it this way.  I use to take them all apart on all the machines to change the bellows, then i heard about a few techs doing them without taking them apart which sparked my interest.  First bellow i did was on a whirlpool that was stacked, and i forced myself to get it on there without any help.  took me a while the first few times, now its just like everything we do, repetition make's it like clock work. 
Authorized Samsung, Electrolux, Whirlpool, GE, Fisher Paykal, and Maytag Servicer with over 10 years experience.

Offline schaffersapplian

• Technician
  • Every action has a reaction
    • Facebook
« Reply #31 on: January 05, 2012, 06:20:06 PM »
never changed a bellow on a LG washer.
Authorized Samsung, Electrolux, Whirlpool, GE, Fisher Paykal, and Maytag Servicer with over 10 years experience.

Offline niobrara

• Technician
« Reply #32 on: January 05, 2012, 08:35:28 PM »
Man dude your my Hero. Those things drive me nuts. I have to take the front off them.

Offline PARTech

• Technician
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
    • Panhandle Appliance LLC
« Reply #33 on: January 07, 2012, 04:26:20 AM »
That LG spring tool will not work on whrilpool springs, it does not open far enough to get the clamp back on. I've considered trying to heat and spread the tines on that tool to get a wider spread on it

If you take the temper out of them they won't hold, the first tool they came out with were not tempered and you could 'adjust' them by hand to work with just about any model... until they broke or wouldn't hold the bend.  So it's not worth heating them up.... especially not for the price.
Serving North Idaho

Offline Bkyle1

• VIP Member
« Reply #34 on: February 03, 2012, 08:52:14 PM »
Any suggestions on getting the seal back on? We have the smaller version of the door seal that doesn't have a drain pipe through it. We have everything off and are trying to get the new one back on, but it doesn't go on smoothly. I know it is the right part because I bought the wrong one first and we had the ripped bellow off and it was obvious it was the wrong one. I ordered the part directly from the number on the one I took off and it looks right, we just can't get it on. Help!

Offline bigbuck

• Technician
  • over 30 years repairing appliance
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
« Reply #35 on: February 03, 2012, 09:02:19 PM »
« Last Edit: February 03, 2012, 09:05:49 PM by bigbuck »

Offline davidyoung100

• VIP Member
« Reply #36 on: November 26, 2013, 07:30:21 PM »
This is helpful thank you.

One question: I just had the bellow seal replaced on my Whirlpool duet. Now the small triangular piece of rubber on the seal is at the bottom of the door, pointing upwards. Is this correct? About a half pint of water collects in the seal after every wash and it feels like there are drainage holes at the top.

My technician assures me this is the right way but I'd appreciate a second opinion.

thank yo

Offline niobrara

• Technician
« Reply #37 on: November 26, 2013, 10:18:56 PM »
Drain holes are on the bottom.

Offline RAH52

• Technician
« Reply #38 on: December 01, 2013, 11:51:02 AM »

Drain holes are on the bottom.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline GB-NC

• VIP Member
« Reply #39 on: December 24, 2013, 12:16:46 AM »
The video was somewhat helpful.  If you have ever replaced a set of radiator hoses on a car you can do this.  I have an older duet machine that is around 10 years old.  I have had torn bellows before and usually called this into a repair shop.  Seeing this video showed me how simple this was.   I had watched the repair technician once before replace this where he never took off the top and front of the machine. I used this same approach and had it replaced in about 20 minutes.   

I only removed the lower cover below the door to take mine off.  There is a spring clamp that seals the front of the bellow.  I was able to remove this without any tool by slightly stretching the spring. 

Pushing the bellow back from the door I could feel the clamp and locate the hose clamp adjustment on the right side of the bellow edge. There is a large hose clamp that goes around the outside of the plastic drum that loosens using a straight slotted screw driver. I was able to get at the hose clamp by working from the bottom access area with a straight screwdriver bit on a flexible extension.  I loosened this until I could slide it off the bellow and drum.

You first position the new bellow, then tighten the large clamp. I had to press a small fitting through a hole in the top of the new bellow that went between 2 washers.  Then I needed to insert the water feed pipe through the top left portion of the bellow.

The final part of the job was to locate the front seal properly then put the retaining spring ring around the bellow.  I will never pay anyone to do this again.  Thanks

Replace Whirlpool Duet Washer GHW9100LQ2 Front Bellow Tub Seal

Started by AJ

Replies: 0
Views: 1504
Last post December 27, 2011, 11:42:18 AM
by AJ
Whirlpool Duet Sport Front Load Washer Leaking from the Door

Started by TechnicianBrian

Replies: 1
Views: 14821
Last post May 23, 2013, 08:24:30 PM
by Rick32k
8182634 Whirlpool Duet Front Load Washer Door Latch/Lock

Started by AJ

Views: 5519
Last post April 02, 2009, 09:35:17 AM
by AJ
Video: How to Replace Door Boot Seal (DC64-02805A) on a Samsung Washer

Started by AJ

Replies: 1
Views: 1724
Last post October 18, 2013, 07:33:11 PM
by afterblast
Video: How To Replace a Water Pump On A Whirlpool Made Direct Drive Washer

Started by AJ

Views: 8727
Last post August 10, 2007, 08:42:54 PM
by AJ
Photos: Whirlpool Duet washer with bad bearings, only 2.5 years old!

Started by AJ

Replies: 21
Views: 32948
Last post May 23, 2013, 08:22:19 PM
by Rick32k