Author Topic: LG DRYER PROBLEMS  (Read 24354 times)

Offline thomas68

• VIP Member
LG DRYER PROBLEMS
« on: December 02, 2007, 11:34:12 PM »
Have had a LG DLG3788W for a year..Problem now is that it is Spinning and not heating.....I am hoping to find a service manual to repair it myself,,, I also saw in some posts that there is a diagnostic feature on the machine how can I access this. Any advice would be appreciated

Offline AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
    • ApplianceJunk.com - Appliance Repair
Re: LG DRYER PROBLEMS
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2007, 12:14:40 PM »
Hi,

This would be a gas dryer, correct?

I'm having trouble finding a manual myself.

Hope you find our site helpful.

Offline accapp

• VIP Member
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2007, 12:43:22 PM »
Unplug the unit. There wil be some phillips screws holding the back of the top lid on, remove them and push the top back and remove it. Restore power and test the unit. Look for an orange glow at the front right bottom of the machine. If all goes well it will be followed by a blue glow and heat. Unplug it again. Remove the two screws securing the control panel to the frame and push the front panel forward (it will not be easy as there are about five molded plastic keys which hold the front panel on) and up/off.

Remove all the wiring harness plugs to the control board (they are color-coded to make reassembly easy). You can them remove the four screws at the top of the main front panel and the two screws behind the door and pull the front panel out, remove the door switch plug and remove the front panel. If there was no orange glow during the test, there is a resettable high-limit switch on the left side of the burner tube which is probably now open, push it to reset and check the dryer's exhaust duct for obstructions. Let us know what you find, plenty more to check.
"When you have eliminated all which is impossible, then whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth." Sir Arthur Conan Doyle.

Offline thomas68

• VIP Member
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2007, 02:27:40 PM »
Thankyou So far I have the orange glow I assume its the ignitor firing but I have no blue flame.  Took apart front of dryer did various continuity checks on components don't know exactly if open or closed is bad.....Do not know iof how to check continuity  flame detector I have 2 doublelwires going to 2 terminals on detector...coils had continuity.... 2 detectors on cone had continuity
« Last Edit: December 04, 2007, 05:43:39 PM by thomas68 »

Offline accapp

• VIP Member
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2007, 12:44:40 AM »
Time for the fun part: Live testing. With the front panel off but the control board reconnected, see if both gas valve coils are getting ~90vdc (the top one should get it first, followed by the second one after the flame detector closes from the heat of the ignitor). If both coils are getting 90vdc, the gas valve is bad. If not it could be either the flame detector or the control board. The nice thing about this flame detector is any standard one off any modern gas dryer will work.

LG Dryer Main Board Part # 6871EC1121F

LG Dryer Gas Valve Part # 5221EL2002A
"When you have eliminated all which is impossible, then whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth." Sir Arthur Conan Doyle.

Offline BrntToast

• VIP Member
  • Mayday Appliance Service
    • frigidaire service blog
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2007, 01:15:48 AM »
i cant find a wiring diagram for lg online but for the flame sensors you can try to unplug one wire and see if it lights then touch unplugged wire to the others and repeat, if either way makes it burn you need flame sensor

without the wiring i dont know if its normally open or closed

this test tries them both

Mayday Appliance Service
Winnipeg Manitoba Canada

The only stupid question is the one not asked

Offline thomas68

• VIP Member
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2007, 10:10:53 PM »

Offline RegUS_PatOff

• Technician
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2007, 08:53:55 PM »
 O0
After leaving this Earth, "Do you want the smoking or non-smoking section?"

Offline thomas68

• VIP Member
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2007, 03:18:36 AM »
Hello
I was finally able to get back to working on the dryer...have made several trips with my happy bride to to laundrymat :embarassed:   I am a mechanic by trade and am confident on my Ohming out of several parts on the dryer..... but on live testing I have a question..... If you are testing say the gas solinoid and you probe both wires and you get the 90 v ac are you getting what you want......or should you ground your one lead and to say the dryer chasis and prob the wires????? :embarassed:please help me save my marriage and answer these questions O0   Also If I am testing the thermal switches should I test across them????

I did the self diagnostic built into the dryer and will get the igniter to glow...drum to tumble...but no flame coming out......

Thankyou for all your help Acapp Brnttoast and others

Offline RegUS_PatOff

• Technician
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2007, 05:40:46 AM »
 O0
After leaving this Earth, "Do you want the smoking or non-smoking section?"

Offline accapp

• VIP Member
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2007, 05:28:58 AM »
Check the gas valve coils, should be about 1180 ohms.
I'll bet one of the gas valve coils is shot, part # 5221EL2002A

Kennore Dryer problems

Started by smckeown

Replies: 6
Views: 8761
Last post July 10, 2007, 09:31:02 AM
by smckeown
Kenmore (70) electric dryer timer problems??

Started by bigzinmiami

Replies: 3
Views: 2729
Last post September 13, 2009, 02:59:04 PM
by Repair-man
TImer problems with Kenmore HE2 Gas Dryer

Started by infrared013

Replies: 13
Views: 5574
Last post January 11, 2010, 10:40:27 PM
by agharez
Maytag Dryer starts up by itself. Sometimes start button problems

Started by fftoddster

Replies: 3
Views: 3157
Last post February 15, 2010, 10:33:20 PM
by fftoddster
Kenmore Series 70 Electric Dryer thermostat problems

Started by wet

Replies: 2
Views: 5935
Last post February 25, 2011, 08:00:45 PM
by JWWebster
LDG7304 Maytag Dryer - making a lot of noise.

Started by robert

Replies: 5
Views: 7542
Last post February 20, 2011, 07:33:06 PM
by jumptrout51