Author Topic: LG Dishwasher with LE error code  (Read 102689 times)

Offline MikeSwing

• VIP Member
Re: LG Dishwasher with LE error code
« Reply #45 on: September 30, 2011, 12:59:12 PM »
Hi guys. I've had my LG Dishwasher since 2007 and I have to say that I love it and its been pretty problem free until now. I was getting the 'LE' code so I did a google search and found my way here. I read this entire thread to find out what was wrong and it was the BLACK wire behind the front door. It somehow got cut. I tried connecting it without turning off the power to the dishwasher and got shocked so remember to turn the power off if you're going to try this at home. I turned off the power, spliced the wires a bit more, soldered the connection back together, taped it up with electrical tape, and then it was back to normal. I did notice that the insulation on the inside of the door had a small burn mark and it looks like it was in the same spot as where the BLACK wire got cut. Since it shocked me, it only makes sense that this is a LG design error. They should do a recall if its happened to most of us. Thanks again to everyone who posted in this thread. Saved me money and time.  O0

Offline TIDE-HSV

• VIP Member
« Reply #46 on: November 06, 2011, 02:18:26 PM »
I have the LE problem with a different twist.  I pulled off the front door to check for the wiring problem many have had and couldn't find a break.  However, there was evidence that water had been entering the door along the left side.  Poking around, I found that the bottom gasket was twisted on the right side, allowing water in.  It appeared that the water had reached coil at top left.  However, the coil tests for continuity.  Of course, I want to investigate all possibilities before replacing the motor.  Has anyone replaced that gasket?  Just how to reach it isn't immediately obvious.  One irony is that there's a sizable LG plant here in Huntsville, AL, and my wife is friends with the wife of the plant manager, not that it will help.  They really just manufacture electronics here.  I once tried to buy an Onan generator from the plant here and was told that it would have to be shipped 100 miles south to Birmingham and I could pick it up there...   ???

Offline TIDE-HSV

• VIP Member
« Reply #47 on: November 06, 2011, 04:01:40 PM »
Learned a bit more since my initial post.  There does appear to be moisture in the door, but it may be from the air vent connected to the vent fan.  After disassembling the filter  down to the pulley attached to the rotor shaft, it appears to be immovable.  Since the wires appear intact, it may be the motor itself...

Offline TIDE-HSV

• VIP Member
« Reply #48 on: November 06, 2011, 04:47:03 PM »
Yep, motor shaft frozen...

Offline whirlpooltech

• Technician
  • 20 years of experience
« Reply #49 on: November 06, 2011, 04:57:57 PM »
Yep, motor shaft frozen...

Nice find, thanks for the update.  O0

Offline TIDE-HSV

• VIP Member
« Reply #50 on: November 11, 2011, 07:47:03 AM »
Well, the motor came in from RCI*, and it was so wimpy I thought I must have ordered the wrong part.  Checked the old spindle in the machine and it's the same size and the shape, etc., look the same as in the blowup diagram I have.  I started remembering back.  I bought the house where I live in.  Fairly soon after moving in, the KitchenAid dishwasher failed.  It had been installed in 1961.  It was a backbreaking task to get that sucker out to the curb (200' away).  I replaced it with a Kenmore which only weighed about 2/3 as much and was easy to manhandle.  I was afraid that the lighter weight meant that the Kenmore wouldn't last as long.  It lasted 23 years.  Three years ago, when I bought the LG and installed it, it was even lighter than the Kenmore.  It, of course, lasted only 3 years before failure.  It was signaling that it was in trouble, taking multiple tries for the motor to start.  I'm already researching other brands, which I should have done before buying the LG...

* (Man are they great in getting parts to you quickly!  Got microwave parts from them before, pronto!)

Offline TIDE-HSV

• VIP Member
« Reply #51 on: November 11, 2011, 02:49:46 PM »
Hmm... Omitted word - bought house in 1985...

Offline TIDE-HSV

• VIP Member
« Reply #52 on: November 11, 2011, 11:09:38 PM »
Well, new motor in and dishwasher humming along.  The only problem was I punched a hole in the mesh in the sump cover with my screwdriver.  I'm going to order a replacement, but we really wanted to test the dishwasher.  After discussing various cements, my wife suggested soldering the hole and it worked, at least through one cycle and it still seemed solidly stuck.  I had various types of solder around and I looked for one that was lead-free.  I found a spool from Alpha Metals, made in USA, which I used.  Later, I happened to look at the back and there was a hysterical warning "This product contains LEAD!"   ???

Offline mikeleone

• VIP Member
« Reply #53 on: January 16, 2012, 06:56:54 PM »
Thank you guys!  After hanging around from 12 to 4 and getting stood up by the repair company I ended up here. Sure enough the blue wire, stuck in the tar, was broken clean.  Repaired the break and shes working again!

I had a burn spot on the insulation too, this seems like a factory defect that could lead to fires.  I wonder if there is any silent recall on it.

Offline AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
    • ApplianceJunk.com - Appliance Repair
« Reply #54 on: January 16, 2012, 07:01:40 PM »
Good job!

Thanks for posting.  O0
Hope you find our site helpful.

Offline Misobrilliant

• VIP Member
« Reply #55 on: March 02, 2012, 10:27:28 PM »
Out of the dishwasher and into the fryer.

Guys,  I really need your help! I have had my LG dishwasher for about five years and aside from the LE error code, have really liked it.  It does take a long time to run a cycle,  butwhen running, you can't even tell that it is on, it is so quiet.  My problems with my dishwasher started about one year ago when i got my first LE error code. A repairman told me about the cut wire situation, and sure enough, I had a blue wire cut. After repairing, the dishwasher was as good a new.

Then about one week ago,  I started getting a new LE error code.  Knowing what to do, I took apart the door and carefully checked every wire. Seeing that no wire was cut, I assumed that it was my earlier splice job.  I took that apart and respiced and retaped that blue wire,  put the door back on and prayed that that was the last of that problem.  Unfortunately, the LE error code came back.   Having read through this thread carefully, I assumed that it may, in fact be a motor problem. So i dismantled the grey piece in the middle of the unit (I will call this the top motor housing)  which had eight screws holing it down.  Upon checking the motor,  i happily found a large piece of glass.  In trying to put he top motor housing cover back together,  there was a thin rubber gasket that fell off.  It was extremely difficult to get this gasket back on.,  and i leaned on the open door to better position myself. Ultimately, I broke the thin gasket. In trying to screw the motor housing cover back on,  I accidentally punched through one of he mesh filters with a screwdriver. Drats!  Worse yet was when trying to close the door,  I realized that my weight bent the hinges or something and the door doesn't close properly (I'll search for hat fix in the forums after sending this email. Worse yet, when running the unit (by forcibly keeping the door shut),  I still get that damn LE error code.

Any help would be appreciated.  When describing the parts of he motor,  or parts of the dishwasher, please be descriptive.  Although it wouldn't be apparent from this posting, I am actually quite handy.

Thanksin advance for all of your help.

Offline wildimaginations

• Technician
« Reply #56 on: March 05, 2012, 07:12:38 AM »
You never mentioned if the impeller was free spinning when you took out the broken glass.  You should check the impeller to see if you can turn it freely.  If it feels sticking or hard to turn, replace the entire sump assembly.  If you're going to replace the sump assembly, you might as well change the wire harness as well to get rid of the broken wire issue.

As for the door, you may have bent the door frame.  The inner liner is covered by LG's lifetime warranty.  You can order it from LG and just tell them it's rusting.  They will send you a new inner liner.

Hope this helps.
Appliance Service Technician
Authorized servicer on LG appliances.
About 45 mins east of San Francisco

Offline theoldstoveguy

• Technician
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
« Reply #57 on: March 05, 2012, 08:08:56 AM »
Saw a lot of broken wires at the tub with the old Asko dishwashers.

Offline bigbuck

• Technician
  • over 30 years repairing appliance
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
« Reply #58 on: March 07, 2012, 08:04:14 PM »
same model, no heated dry, found broken orange wire behind door panel to heating element.

Offline scottya

• VIP Member
« Reply #59 on: March 30, 2012, 07:14:43 PM »
Thanks for the broken wire suggestion. I fixed ours for $1.05. I imagine a service call might have cost slightly more!  :)
Seems like a pretty a dumb design for the wire layout.

Thanks again!

LG Dishwasher with LE error code

Started by xj-boonie

Replies: 8
Views: 5348
Last post December 17, 2009, 03:39:59 PM
by JWWebster
LG Dishwasher with LE error code

Started by LG5811

Replies: 2
Views: 2159
Last post May 02, 2010, 07:52:01 AM