Author Topic: LG Dishwasher with LE error code  (Read 98838 times)

Offline AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
    • ApplianceJunk.com - Appliance Repair Help
Re: LG Dishwasher with LE error code
« Reply #30 on: December 02, 2010, 01:38:46 PM »
Hi JimmyDB,

Glad you got it repaired. Thanks for taking the time to register and post such a detailed reply.
Follow us on Google+ to see updates from our Google Drive and more!

Offline steviray

• VIP Member
« Reply #31 on: January 09, 2011, 01:59:50 PM »
Hey guys, I'm new to this forum. I did the broken blue wire fix about 8 months ago and I got the LE error code the other day. I went back into the wires under the front cover to see the blue wire had broken again and it had not, but looking at the other wires I found another wire borken, a white one this time, and still looking further I also found two more wires about to break, a red one and a light blue one. Fixed all three wires and the error code went away.

I agree with the earlier post about a planned failure or bad handling of the wires because all the wires fixed were pushed deep into the tare stuff and none of the others were.

This forum rocks.

Thanks.
Steve

Offline AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
« Reply #32 on: January 09, 2011, 02:14:43 PM »
Hi Steve,

Thanks for joining us and posting a reply.
Glad to hear that you got it working again.

Offline ASM4NICKO

• VIP Member
« Reply #33 on: April 17, 2011, 03:35:51 PM »
Well I'm brand new to the forum. I too am having trouble with my dishwasher. I haven't quite solved the problem yet but I am determined to get it fixed.

I need some help...... It started yesterday when i had to remove the dishwasher because we are replacing our floors. When i hooked it back up everything went well. However, that night we ran the dishes. During the last 30 minutes of the cycle the it started making a funny noise. Then it shut off and showed the LE code. Luckily, (with deep sarcasm) LG doesn't  list this code in their manual. I have so far rechecked the power source wiring, removed washing blades and rinsers down to the grinder blade, and looked through all the wiring closely by the door. I have reassembled the unit and put it on rinse cycle and it goes for 2 minutes and then prior to the motor turning on it shuts off and gives me the LE code.

Prior to me moving the unit it has been working fine for 3 years. It has always been extremely quiet but takes forever. Not to mention it washes dishes like a 7 year old would.

However, i am out of warranty and need some advice. After reading this post I am going to go back and look even more closely for the broken wires.

Let me know what you think.

Thanks,
Nick

Offline PARTech

• Technician
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
    • Panhandle Appliance LLC
« Reply #34 on: April 17, 2011, 03:56:56 PM »
Door wires are always the first place I check, sounds like you are on the right track, if they get embedded in th sound dampening material they will break down towards the bottom of the door.  Seems you have already checked the interior of the sump for something restricting the motor.  The biggest other reason I have seen is a main seal leaking into the motor, you might be able to see it by taking the toe kick off and use a mirror to inspect for water or rust in the base.  That would mean a new sump as the seal is molded into the housing.  If that is the problem, call LG and see what they can do for you...  Never hurts to ask.

PS - start a new thread, everyone else will see it easier. :)
« Last Edit: April 17, 2011, 03:59:05 PM by PARTech »
Serving North Idaho

Offline MJ2222

• VIP Member
« Reply #35 on: August 09, 2011, 11:20:00 PM »
this site was very helpful in diagnosing my dishwasher issue.  Unfortunately I was not one of the lucky ones who just needed to repair the broken wires to resolve the issue.  I did find 3 broken wires(its amazing the dishwasher ran at all before dying).  all three were embedded into the sound proofing and snapped at the base.  I made sure to pull free any wire that was stuck to the door as that is obviously a place the wires are supposed to have some movement when the door is opened. quick note to anyone removing the door cover, place a pillow on the floor(thicker the better) under the door to catch it once you have removed the screws.  also, there is no need to remove the 2 screws closest to the center top where the latch catches, it doesn't hold the door face on.  so after splicing the wires back together, and crossing my fingers, the problem did not go away.  I gave a close listen to the dishwasher as it cycled and after it drained and filled, I could hear the capacitor in the the main control panel attempting to start the motor with no response from the motor.  it sounds like a very high pitch sound, sorta like a disposable camera flash charge.  have your kids give it a listen, they will be more likely to hear it.  after three attempts at starting the motor, the dishwasher gave up and threw up an error.  I inspected the main circuit board so see if anything had fried from the severed wires and noticed the two large capacitor(black and gray cylindrical things) looked swollen, most likely from failure to get that motor started.  $79 later(plus shipping) I had a new motor shipped.  you can double check the motor number if you take off the kickplate on the front and use a flashlight to see the sticker.  you will most likely need to pull the wiring harness clip off temporarily from the motor to see the sticker.  Unfortunately, you do need to remove the dishwasher to get at the motor.  we had to take it outside to dump the residual water, although I suppose I could have sopped up the nasty water with a towel or something.  make sure you start the dishwasher once last time to let it drain whatever it can before starting all of this, just make sure to open the door before it refills again.  once outside, actually replacing the motor was a breeze and took maybe 20 minutes tops.  you have to disassemble the filter and get down to and move the chopper blade.  the impeller does have a left handed thread.  lean the dishwasher over, but beware, the water does not drain OUT of the dishwasher, it will drain INTO the door and soak everything(learned this the hard way....only adding to the issue, I figured I'd take the opportunity to hose the stinky broken thing out...lots of water in the door....lots)  keep the door pretty much closed when you lean it to get the residual water out if there is any.  once you have it empty, lean it on its back(unfinished side) and remove the 2 screws holding the cover plate on.  removing the motor is super simple, 3 screws holding 3 ground wires to the bracket, the wire harness that clips into it, and the 4 screws that actually hold it to the dishwasher. the motor just slips right out, and the new one just pops back in.  re-assemble and reinstall.  the whole process would have taken about an hour, but having to dry out my door insulation and circuitry with a hair dryer before turning the breaker back on added a bit of extra time. its working like a charm now and is much quieter than it has been for years(it was quiet when it was new but started getting a high pitch squeal sometimes when it ran....intermittent).  $90 and an hour verses a new $800 dishwasher and all the time that involves is well worth giving it a shot yourself in my book.  I know LG keeps getting knocked by everyone, but honestly...every appliance I have ever bought has had some sort of issue.  the forums of every brand are full of people saying the exact same thing.  learn to fix it yourself and you'll save yourself money, learn something new, and maybe even surprise yourself that its much easier than you think.

Offline tap

• VIP Member
« Reply #36 on: August 15, 2011, 06:42:15 PM »
OK, add me to the list of disappointed LG owners.  My DW also came up lame after 5 years with an LE error.  Thanks to all that posted.  I know there has been a good deal of discussion about why the wires are broken.  In my case the purple and grey wires were broken; purple all the way and the grey almost all the way through.  The break was about one third the way up the door, not at the bottom as i thought it would be.  The reason for my breakage was the extra cable, which there was plenty was above the black tar substance; the black tar held the wires in place, causing the bottom sections to tight and then stretched each time the door was opened.  Finally the wire /s broke.  It was due to the black tar, if this was not holding the wires in place this failure would not have happened.  Happy the repair was simple.  Thanks again

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
    • JW's Sublime Appliance Advice
« Reply #37 on: August 15, 2011, 07:48:47 PM »
Why do yall suppose the black tar is there to begin with? Couldn't a zip tie been just as effective in holding the wires in place?
May the hinges of our friendship
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
« Reply #38 on: August 15, 2011, 08:00:55 PM »
The black tar is used in the door as insulation against sound.

Offline rgboyle

• VIP Member
« Reply #39 on: September 06, 2011, 02:55:40 PM »
I'm new to this forum. But the info is excellent.  I have the same LE code issue. Still trouble shooting it though.
After reading I was convinced it must be a wire.  And I peeled the wires out of the black tar/insulation,
but all "look" clean for a 4 year old machine. My question is really a verification that the replacement part,
if necessary, is the motor assembly.

when disassembling down to the grinder I noticed the black gaskets will not reseal.  Does anyone have a part no.

cheers

Offline AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
« Reply #40 on: September 06, 2011, 03:39:48 PM »
I'm new to this forum. But the info is excellent.  I have the same LE code issue. Still trouble shooting it though.
After reading I was convinced it must be a wire.  And I peeled the wires out of the black tar/insulation,
but all "look" clean for a 4 year old machine. My question is really a verification that the replacement part,
if necessary, is the motor assembly.

when disassembling down to the grinder I noticed the black gaskets will not reseal.  Does anyone have a part no.

cheers

Hi,

Please start a new topic and include your model number, if you feel this topic is related to your problem simply provide a link to it in your new topic.

thanks,

Offline Yang1815

• VIP Member
« Reply #41 on: September 12, 2011, 09:18:17 PM »
Wow lots of information on this site.  Thought I would update with my dishwasher.

This morning I saw the LE code.  After reading this thread, I opened the front and checked for wiring, can't find any loose/broken ones.  I put it back and decided to start it up and see what happens.  My dishwasher starts up with draining whatever's in there, then it sprays.  However, when the motor is supposed to start, it is stuck.  I then disassembled the filter assembly and cleaned it up a little.  However, when I try to manually turn the motor, I can't get it past a point with my fingers.  If I use a pair of pliers, it goes through but then would just get stuck on the next revolution.  I placed an order for a new motor from the link in this thread, as well as a gasket since one of them doesn't reseal.  Should get them on Wednesday and I will report back on what happens.

Offline Yang1815

• VIP Member
« Reply #42 on: September 14, 2011, 03:43:34 PM »
Wow lots of information on this site.  Thought I would update with my dishwasher.

This morning I saw the LE code.  After reading this thread, I opened the front and checked for wiring, can't find any loose/broken ones.  I put it back and decided to start it up and see what happens.  My dishwasher starts up with draining whatever's in there, then it sprays.  However, when the motor is supposed to start, it is stuck.  I then disassembled the filter assembly and cleaned it up a little.  However, when I try to manually turn the motor, I can't get it past a point with my fingers.  If I use a pair of pliers, it goes through but then would just get stuck on the next revolution.  I placed an order for a new motor from the link in this thread, as well as a gasket since one of them doesn't reseal.  Should get them on Wednesday and I will report back on what happens.

Okay guys.  Got the motor and gasket this morning.  Disconnected the water line and the drain line, took out the dish washer, disassembled the filter assembly, tilted it forward, some water came out, took off the bottom plate held by two screws, disconnected three ground wires, took off the four screws that held the motor, took off the motor and disconnected the harness, put the new motor in, put the filter assembly back in, put the dishwasher back in, connected the water and drain lines, and it starts right up.

It really is very simple.  Good luck to anyone in the future with the LE code!

Offline AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
« Reply #43 on: September 14, 2011, 03:59:51 PM »
Glad it all worked out for you.
Thanks for the feedback and update.  O0

Offline Yang1815

• VIP Member
« Reply #44 on: September 15, 2011, 04:30:12 PM »
Glad it all worked out for you.
Thanks for the feedback and update.  O0

Thanks and you're welcome!  Glad to contribute.  Since all my appliances are LG...  I will probably have to come back quite often haha...

LG Dishwasher with LE error code

Started by xj-boonie

Replies: 8
Views: 4825
Last post December 17, 2009, 03:39:59 PM
by JWWebster
LG Dishwasher with LE error code

Started by LG5811

Replies: 2
Views: 1806
Last post May 02, 2010, 07:52:01 AM
by LG5811