Author Topic: GE Ice Dispenser Issue  (Read 3848 times)

Offline bmack11

• VIP Member
GE Ice Dispenser Issue
« on: January 26, 2009, 10:49:13 AM »
Hello All,

I have a GE side by side Refrigerator and like many, I am having issues dispensing ice from the ice maker.  I get plenty of cubes but my problem revolves around the crush/cube solenoid.  Once the Solenoid activates for cubes, it does not return to the ‘down’ position.  This is problematic if you a) want crushed ice or b) take out the ice bucket to fill a cooler and put it back in the actuator arm on the bucket will be underneath the solenoid instead of ‘through’ it.  Once that happens it will obviously only dispense crushed ice.  If I take the entire dispenser assembly out and let it warm up, it will function properly for a short time until it freezes.  What controls the crush/cube solenoid returning to the down position?  Is it the Solenoid itself (#378 on part diagram), the Solenoid Spring (#382), or some other part I am missing?  What options do I have to fix this problem?  I am handy and confident I can replace the offending part(s) if I can figure out which to replace.

Thanks in advance.  Mac

Model GSS20IEMAWW

Offline Repair-man

• Technician
  • The Virtual Repairman
    • The Virtual Repairmans Appliance Help
Re: GE Ice Dispenser Issue
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2009, 09:34:48 PM »
The solenoid has a thin coiled spring in between the yoke (square actuator) and the plunger. This aids in helping the yoke drop back to the crushed position, which is down.  The problem lies in the crusher bin, where the rod is located. This rod is also spring activated in back and the rod must float up and down seamlessly for it all to work.

When the freezer is too cold, or air is  permeating the ice bin from the fountain, frost will prevent the rod from moving. As you can see, the rod is connected to the front of the bin, where the crushing takes place. When the dispenser calls for cubes, the yoke is raised along with the rod, which opens an ice flapper in the bin to allow the cubes to escape the crusher blades. Air coming in from a worn dispenser flapper can cause frequent jams. Inspect your dispenser and be sure your freezer is at 0 degrees, no colder.
"It's only expensive if someone else fixes it for you" -
The Virtual Repairman   www.repair2000.com

Offline bmack11

• VIP Member
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2009, 08:26:59 PM »
I have verified the seal on the rubber flap is good to go.  I have verified the temperature is not below 0 and the rod on the side of the ice bucket moves freely without impedance.  Yet, my solenoid arm remains in the cube position once cubes are dispensed.  Any other thoughts?  Thanks,  Mac

Offline Repair-man

• Technician
  • The Virtual Repairman
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2009, 08:39:25 PM »
Mac

My thought are that it's probably a sticky solenoid up inside the augur enclosure that pulls the yoke up and down. My usual recourse would be to replace both the solenoid and the yoke plunger (part that goes up inside coil). You may use your model number to get to the various parts links and find the dispenser section as pictured HERE. Of course, it is best to have a trained eye look at the dispenser to avoid ordering more than needed.

Offline bmack11

• VIP Member
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2009, 01:16:07 PM »
Thanks.  That diagram corresponds to the one for my model.  To make sure I understand you are suggesting I order Solenoid #378 and Plunger which I think is #380 on the diagram?  I am also going to order the spring just in case #382.  Is this correct?  Thanks, Mac

Offline Repair-man

• Technician
  • The Virtual Repairman
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2009, 01:21:02 PM »
I'm saying those are the most commonly replaced parts associated with this type of complaint. If you are relying solely on my past experiences rather than a visual inspection, I will hold my breath and hope it works out for you as it did for me :)

Offline bmack11

• VIP Member
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2009, 01:31:24 PM »
Thanks for taking the time to reply Repair-Man.  I appreciate it and understand there are no guarantees.  I will order the parts and roll my dice.  Mac

Kenmore refrigerator - how remove ice/water dispenser front panel

Started by Marvster

Replies: 1
Views: 22148
Last post August 11, 2007, 08:06:07 PM
by AJ
No water from dispenser-ice maker working-replaced valve inlet

Started by Evan

Replies: 2
Views: 2736
Last post August 18, 2007, 05:17:53 PM
by Evan
kenmore ice dispenser

Started by brad

Replies: 4
Views: 2931
Last post September 15, 2007, 05:09:18 AM
by brad
Ice Dispenser motor access

Started by bbird

Replies: 6
Views: 5891
Last post September 27, 2007, 01:41:05 PM
by bbird
How remove Kenmore ice/water dispenser housing ??

Started by Marvster

Replies: 1
Views: 3383
Last post October 09, 2007, 07:35:32 AM
by AJ
Maytag refrigerator Ice & water dispenser HELP

Started by nash

Replies: 3
Views: 2561
Last post January 26, 2008, 03:39:27 PM
by nash