Author Topic: Whirlpool washer - Can't seperate Agitator  (Read 3032 times)

Offline hammer to thumb

• VIP Member
Whirlpool washer - Can't seperate Agitator
« on: January 21, 2009, 09:54:06 PM »
OK, This Info turned out to be extremely valuable to me. Everyone I spoke to about separating the agitator implied that it would be easy to do it. I had the same problem as Matt. It looked like two of the four prongs were worn, or actually looked like they melted to the cam. It would have never crossed my mind to step on the bottom and pull on the upper half since everyone said it should come off easy....thought I would break it. That would have been bad, being that I just needed to change the dogs. My new problem has shown its face. Now that I have reassembled everything, the prongs won't engage into the cam. When I pulled the agitator apart, I had to use so much force that all the parts scattered in the washroom and I didn't exactly see how the parts were to reverse the order when I put them back. I'm 99% sure I found all the pieces. The 1 part that I'm not sure of when putting it back together is what looks like a washer. The washer is a very thin plastic with an inside diameter matching the  diameter of the prong assembly from the bottom, but looks like it should be between the cam and the bottom of the upper agitator. When I screw in the locking bolt in the middle, everything locks together and the upper agitator moves with base clockwise and counterclockwise. When I spin the top in one direction, it should be like that and when I turn it the other direction, it should spin freely. Cam locks in place when I connect them directly, but when I connect them including the upper agitator, the prongs don't reach. Is something out of order? Or did I miss one of the pieces when I separated them? Other than the 2 prongs, everything seems to be in proper order.

Offline Al Capone

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • ApplianceJunk.com
Re: Whirlpool washer - Can't seperate Agitator
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2009, 10:09:39 PM »
Hi,

I split your post into a new topic.

Please be sure to read, Posting Basics - Starting a New Topic

Note towards the bottom is reads,

Please do not ask your own question in a topic.
In other words, please don't hijack the topic and make it yours.
Start your own topic and reference the other topic related to your issue.

Do you have the same model number as the washer in the first post you replied to?

If not could you post your model number for us?

Thanks,
RepairClinic.com - Order now for same day shipping. 365 day return policy!

AppliancePartsPros.com - Over 1 Million Appliance Parts In-Stock. 365-Day Hassle Free Return Policy!

Offline jumptrout51

• Technician
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2009, 07:12:39 AM »
Once you put the dogs in the slots, the washer goes on next,flat side against dogs to hold them in place.
Using a ratchet extension, turn the top of the agitator upside down and run your bolt through the hole. Turn it back over and while holding pressure on it, slide it over the main agitator post. Align your slots, start your bolt threads and then tighten them down.
Everything should then self align.

Good luck.
Take a Kid fishing.

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
    • JW's Sublime Appliance Advice
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2009, 10:52:32 AM »
Plus the dogs are thrown outward during the wash cycle and grab against the grooves of upper portion of the agitator and grab causing a downward motion of the clothing. If you look close at the old dogs they are smooth on the leading edge and will not grab anymore.
May the hinges of our friendship
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Whirlpool washer LSQ9010KQ0...Can't seperate Agitator

Started by Matt F.

Replies: 5
Views: 3907
Last post December 16, 2007, 06:09:05 PM
by AJ
Video: How to replace the "Dogs" in your Whirlpool washer agitator.

Started by AJ

Replies: 1
Views: 10172
Last post May 25, 2008, 11:09:16 PM
by jean
Whirlpool Washer Noisy Agitator

Started by TechnicianBrian

Replies: 0
Views: 8413
Last post October 27, 2008, 06:12:00 PM
by TechnicianBrian
Whirlpool Washer Agitator Dogs