Author Topic: Amana Spins but doesn't agitate  (Read 2643 times)

Offline sparky823

• VIP Member
Amana Spins but doesn't agitate
« on: January 19, 2009, 11:49:08 PM »
This machine belongs to my sister and right now that is th eonly model # I have. It is the Amana that was the twin to a Speed Queen and she has had it about 9 years.

Today she said that it filled up to wash but then just sat there and she thought she smelled something hot so she unplugged it. Later she plugged it back up and it still would not wash, it just sits and buzzes. She tried all the cycles but the wash was the same buzz although it will spin like always.

I thought maybe you could just give a general idea of what it could be. I was thinking maybe the motor because doesn't it turn one way to wash and then reverse for spin?

Thanks for any help you can offer.

Model LWA80AW

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
    • JW's Sublime Appliance Advice
Re: Spins but doesn't agitate
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2009, 12:52:29 AM »
The pump might have gotten a coin in it.
May the hinges of our friendship
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline sparky823

• VIP Member
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2009, 01:07:49 AM »
It was full of water but she put it on spin and it spun the water right out and was spinning at the regular speed. Then she filled it part of the way again to see if it would agitate after it had spun but it still just buzzed so then she spun that water out and it did fine on spin.

Offline laundryman

• VIP Member
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2009, 01:16:52 AM »
motor plate may be gummed up and not sliding over far enough to put tension on the belt for agitate. if youve smelled a burning rubber smell its usually from the belt slipping. check to see if the belt is worn or if there are a lot of black shavings under the machine. if so you could have the plate gummed up or the trans failing. take a putty knife and pop the top by releasing the clips on both sides of the front. they are about 3" in from the corners. then remove the 2 5/16" screws and the front panel will come forward exposing the motor and plate. hope its something simple. O0

Offline sparky823

• VIP Member
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2009, 11:11:54 PM »
I talked to my sister today to see what the tech she had scheduled for today told her about her washer. She said that he never came and she only got voice mail at his business. At this point she and her husband decided to take the front off to see if the belt looked ok. He had to move it out about 2inches from the wall to get the front off and she said it all "looked" fine. The belt wasn't chewed up or anything. So they decided to try it and see what it would do when it was supposed to start agitating. They let it fill up and it started washing, so they added towels and it ran through the cycle fine. Wonder what made it start? The only thing he touched was the belt and he just felt of it to see if it had any cuts or pieces out of it.(he knows nothing about washers!) Maybe it will be ok for a while? Do you think moving it maybe jarred something and made it start up this time?

Offline Repair-man

• Technician
  • The Virtual Repairman
    • The Virtual Repairmans Appliance Help
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2009, 07:37:43 AM »
They don't call you Sparky fer nuthin' :)

This is a good sign the belt should be replaced. The hum was likely from it slipping on the motor pulley trying to spin.
"It's only expensive if someone else fixes it for you" -
The Virtual Repairman   www.repair2000.com

Offline Kayakcrzy

• VIP Member
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2009, 04:11:38 PM »
They don't call you Sparky fer nuthin' :)

This is a good sign the belt should be replaced. The hum was likely from it slipping on the motor pulley trying to spin.

You most likely have a transmission locking up.   Amana's are good for that. If it happens again, its time for a new one.  Whirlpool is the answer.   Tom  www.applianceeducator.com

Washer spins but doesn't drain

Started by veryhipp

Replies: 5
Views: 5285
Last post February 25, 2008, 02:05:19 PM
by veryhipp
Kenmore series 90 won't agitate; buzzing sound; fills, spins, and drains fine

Started by kevink

Replies: 15
Views: 6379
Last post December 09, 2008, 11:15:37 AM
by kevink