Author Topic: Whirlpool washer - will not fill after spin cycle, starts agitating without wate  (Read 3669 times)

Offline tomaszkr

• VIP Member
In July of '08, washing machine would not fill at all.  Resetting the level switch would allow the machine to fill sometimes.  After the spin cycle finished (in the normal wash phase), would start agitating right away with no water in the tub.  Resetting the level switch would fill the tub up with water and the cycle would continue.  Replaced the water level switch and the problem went away.

Last week, started again.  Thought it was the water level switch again, so replaced it.  Didn't do a thing.  Still have the same problem.  Even after resetting, washer sometimes will not fill up.  Seems to be a control problem.  Perhaps the automatic temperature control board or the timer/control module?Any suggestions?

Model Number: GST9679LG1 icon

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
    • JW's Sublime Appliance Advice
Since the problem seems to be intermittant, I would try and remove those electronic boards and clean the corrosion off the contacts with some alcohol. Reinstall and retry.
May the hinges of our friendship
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline tomaszkr

• VIP Member
Will give that a try ... but the problem is no longer intermittent.  Has evolved into happening all the time.  When it goes into the spin cycle, it does not spray any water either ... just spins.  Also noticed that when I moved the wash/rinse temperature to warm/warm, when it fills in the beginning of the wash cycle, it is a steady stream of warm water.  When it fills at the beginning of the rinse cycle, will alternate between warm water (larger volume of water) and cold water.

Offline whirlpooltech

• Technician
  • 20 years of experience
I would try and remove those electronic boards and clean the corrosion off the contacts with some alcohol.

What electronic boards?

When I looked at a diagram of this model washer I did not see any electronic boards.

There maybe some crap plugging the small tube that connects to your water level switch.

Remove the small rubber tube from the water level switch and blow some air through it.

Put it back together and try it again.

How old is this washer?

Offline whirlpooltech

• Technician
  • 20 years of experience
Also check to make sure that same rubber hose that runs to the water level switch is not getting pinched off between the cabinet and the back of the washer.

Offline tomaszkr

• VIP Member
On the first suggestion of cleaning the terminals, there is an Automatic Temperature Control (ATC) board ... little thing with 5 inputs/outputs.  So I did remove it and cleaned the terminals with alcohol.  Also removed both connectors on the control/timer and cleaned those.  Didn't solve the problem.

On the second suggestion of the blocked hose, think that was it.  The hose was definitely not pinched.  When I disconnected it and initially blew into it, there was definitely something stuck in it.  After a couple of seconds, was able to blow air threw it and heard a little gurgling.  Hooked everything back up, ran it thru two wash cycles and appears to be back to normal.

Appreciate the advice.

Offline whirlpooltech

• Technician
  • 20 years of experience
Hooked everything back up, ran it thru two wash cycles and appears to be back to normal.

Glad to hear it's working again.  O0

If it does it again you may want to think about removing the inner tub so you can clean it out.

Often times build up from soap or hard water will plug the small hole on the inside of the outer tub.

Just something to keep in mind.

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
    • JW's Sublime Appliance Advice
WT you know I don't look up model numbers. Dude said he had a board it was just a suggestion is all. I guess I needs ta look up the models.
May the hinges of our friendship
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Whirlpool Duet Washer - Whimpy Spin Cycle leaves clothes wet often

Started by JumpinJackFlash

Replies: 5
Views: 7058
Last post February 24, 2009, 06:03:13 AM
by JumpinJackFlash
whirlpool washer, drum spins, but agitator agitates during spin cycle!

Started by larry39

Replies: 6
Views: 3629
Last post May 05, 2009, 11:52:56 AM
by Al Capone
Whirlpool washer LSR7233DQ0 does not always go into the spin cycle.

Started by AJ

Replies: 0
Views: 805
Last post May 19, 2012, 06:56:00 AM
by AJ
Maytag A183 washer drains during Spin cycle fill

Started by Louis

Replies: 2
Views: 1950
Last post August 28, 2010, 01:26:03 PM
by JWWebster
Top Load Whirlpool Washer Starts, Stops, then Restarts Many Times Through Cycle