Author Topic: ff side warm  (Read 3079 times)

Offline snowballs

• VIP Member
ff side warm
« on: January 15, 2009, 05:35:21 PM »
maybe this might help others. had ff side warm issue freezer fine. no ice in coils or air passage ways. damper opens and closes ok. finally stumbled on a service manual that dealt with the electronic control and how to trouble shoot each system. all systems checked out ok. problem turned out to be the wrong "code" was programmed into control. the tag with the model and serial # also shows the code that should read out on control which is actually just a 2 number code shown on the freezer and refridg settings windows. code was "01" and label indicated should be "03". i changed the code and now my freezer which had been set at 4 is now on 3 and still getting 0-5 degrees. refridg was at 7 and only getting 42 now at 3 and 32-35 degrees. finally.

Model msd2657hew

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
    • JW's Sublime Appliance Advice
Re: ff side warm
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2009, 08:52:37 PM »
Let me get this straight. You had your setting at 01 then you changed it to 03 now everthang is kosher?
May the hinges of our friendship
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline whirlpooltech

• Technician
  • 20 years of experience
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2009, 09:08:25 PM »
JW, he is talking about programing the electronic control for his refrigerator. Not just setting the control for the temperature.

Many of these refrigerators can use the same controls, but you have to program the control for the model or size of the refrigerator that you are installing it in.

This PDF gives you more information on how to program the control.

Maytag Side by Side Refrigerator Technical Information.

snowballs,

There is a good chance that your control may screw up again. If so it will need to be replaced.

If it was my refrigerator I would just go ahead and replace the control now. :)

Offline whirlpooltech

• Technician
  • 20 years of experience
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2009, 09:13:21 PM »
Control Board Kit,  Part Number:W10165748

« Last Edit: January 15, 2009, 09:15:33 PM by whirlpooltech »

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2009, 10:01:34 PM »
WT the Pdf does not show how to do the forced defrost. What up with that?
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline whirlpooltech

• Technician
  • 20 years of experience
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2009, 10:13:04 PM »
Page three, top right hand corner it reads...

Service Test 1 Defrost Thermostat & Defrost Circuit Test
When selected this test will display the state of the defrost thermostat. In order to perform this test the defrost heater will be energized. The test is activated and deactivated using the Refrigerator Up Key

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2009, 10:17:46 PM »
Ok we use the refrigerator up key...how many times? Do we hold in the light switch or what?
        never grow rusty.

I love fan letters! LOL

Offline whirlpooltech

• Technician
  • 20 years of experience
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2009, 10:27:05 PM »
It's all in the PDF JW.

Defrost Operation:
The Control Board adapts the compressor run time between defrosts to achieve optimum defrost intervals by monitoring the length of time the defrost heater is on.
After initial power up, defrost interval is 4 hours compressor run time. Defrost occurs immediately after the 4 hours.
Note: Once unit is ready to defrost there is a 4 minute wait time prior to the beginning of the defrost cycle.
Optimum defrost is 15 minutes. Each additional minute the defrost thermostat remains closed, 1 hr. is subtracted from the previous defrost interval. Each minute the thermostat opens prior to optimum defrost, it extends the next defrost interval 1 hr. When defrost thermostat opens there is a 4-6 minute drip time before compressor restarts or Control Board will terminate defrost at 25 minutes if defrost thermostat has not opened and will reset the defrost interval to the 8 hr. minimum setting.
4 hours of continuous compressor run resets the next defrost interval to 8 hours and will initiate a defrost, if 8 hours of compressor run time has also occurred.
Forced Defrost Mode:
Power up Refrigeration mode will occur unless both the cold control and defrost terminator are open, in that case the defrost mode will occur for 2 minutes.

The forced defrost function is performed using the refrigerator display and keypad. Enter the Forced Defrost Mode by performing the following sequence of events:

1. Hold the refrigerator door light switch closed.

2. Press the Refrigerator Temperature Down keypad 3 times consecutively.

Note: The 3 keystrokes must be consecutive and within 10 seconds.

Can't you read the PDF file JW?

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2009, 10:51:03 PM »
OK I saw it on there this time.
        never grow rusty.

I love fan letters! LOL

Offline whirlpooltech

• Technician
  • 20 years of experience
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2009, 10:56:49 PM »
No problem, just wondering. :)

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2009, 11:06:40 PM »
So what you are saying is the board was probably set from factory then jumped to what he found and now it is set correct but it may inadvertently jump again so therefore replace that board. My question now is have you have very many of these boards go bad? Is it an ongoing?
        never grow rusty.

I love fan letters! LOL

Offline whirlpooltech

• Technician
  • 20 years of experience
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2009, 11:19:04 PM »
So what you are saying is the board was probably set from factory then jumped to what he found and now it is set correct but it may inadvertently jump again so therefore replace that board.

That is correct.

My question now is have you have very many of these boards go bad?

I have changed many of these boards for a number of different problems.
Such as, defrost problems, codes changing and for refrigerators that did not run at all.

I can't remember a time that I ever had to go back and replace a control board a second time. I like to think that is because the replacement boards I have been putting in are new and improved. :)

Offline snowballs

• VIP Member
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2009, 07:30:39 AM »
i was wondering why the code was incorrect. the unit worked fine for 2 years. thought it might have been set wrong from the factory but then why would it have worked ok for 2 years. maybe a power outage or voltage spike? it's working better than ever as of now. freezer on 3 and 0-5f and fridge on 3 and 32-35f. i'll keep an eye on it. thing is maytag wouldn't help pin down the problem and only wanted to send out a tech. only info i could pick up on the net related to ice problems, fan failures and blocked airways or failed dampers. maybe with all of the maytag problems on earlier models i'm the only one dumb enough to buy a maytag.

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2009, 09:15:25 AM »
Snowballs I have found the main problem with these electronics is when they set them in a wet damp cold icebox and depending on where you live(I live near the beach on the Gulf)Salt air cause corrosion. The salt air is so bad here the fins on the central units fall off. All this going on and then a voltage spike or outtage might trigger problems. Makes me wonder if it might be better to put a surge suppressor on your wall receptacle in the kitchen if you have electronics. I will have to research that idea.I have a surge suppressor on my PC to protect it.
        never grow rusty.

I love fan letters! LOL

Offline whirlpooltech

• Technician
  • 20 years of experience
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2009, 12:22:51 PM »
maybe with all of the maytag problems on earlier models i'm the only one dumb enough to buy a maytag.

Your not the only one. :)

GE side-by-side frezzer warm, wall frost build-up

Started by shenjiming

Replies: 10
Views: 5268
Last post April 18, 2009, 10:03:43 PM
by JWWebster
GE Adora side by side, about 5 yrs top part of fridge warm, bottom part freezing

Started by mikeamick

Replies: 4
Views: 3259
Last post September 27, 2010, 08:53:36 PM
by mikeamick
Freezer cold - Refridge warm - Side by Side with PICS!

Started by redspot321

Replies: 14
Views: 5241
Last post July 10, 2011, 06:20:35 PM
by redspot321
Refrigerator side warm

Started by linatio

Replies: 1
Views: 1015
Last post August 30, 2011, 09:36:15 AM
by JWWebster
Whirlpool ed5fhaxss00 side by side no ice