Author Topic: Roper Dryer Problem  (Read 3564 times)

Offline TheBadGuy

• VIP Member
Roper Dryer Problem
« on: January 15, 2009, 05:43:18 PM »
Model Number: REX664RQ0 icon

Greetings,

I have a two year old Roper REX6634RQ0 electric dryer that has been working like a charm until today. When you push the start button the dryer buzzes but does not start and I can feel it get really hot towards the front of the dryer.

I have checked what I believe to be the thermal cut out and thermal fuse. I pretty much checked everything that looked like a fuse and had continuity with everything so I don't think its a blown fuse. I have verified the door switch was engaged and there are no obstructions.

Any ideas? The thing gets hot, but wouldn't start. A relay maybe? Please be specific on where I can find it or what it might look like please, I am a novice with appliance repair Thanks in advance!

Offline jumptrout51

• Technician
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
Re: Roper Dryer Problem
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2009, 05:53:14 PM »
What exactly towards the front of the dryer gets hot?
Take a Kid fishing.

Offline TheBadGuy

• VIP Member
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2009, 05:58:25 PM »
What I mean when I say that is that when I stick my hand in the front of the dryer I can feel heat. It's actually getting hot.

I just took the top off and verified that the door switch is indeed reading closed and I guess the only belt is the really skinny one in the middle of the drum? It's like new as well.

Offline jumptrout51

• Technician
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2009, 06:06:30 PM »
There is a good possibility that your motor is bad. The buzzing sound and not running indicates that.
The centrifugal switch on the motor can be defective allowing a complete circuit to the heater. That would cause the dryer to become hot even though the motor is not running.

Open the door to the dryer...engage the door switch button and hold it closed. Push the start button and wait a minute or two. Look in the dryer and see if you can see a reddish glow.
If you see a reddish glow your motor is bad and your heat relay is stuck.
Repair is a new motor.
Take a Kid fishing.

Offline TheBadGuy

• VIP Member
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2009, 06:19:19 PM »
I did notice the glow early when experimenting. So the motor huh?  :'( I was afraid of that. When I looked at some parts place online, that was the most expensive at around $100.

Where exactly is the motor located? Thats one part I have yet to see, so I am guessing its hard to get to? Is this what you would consider a harder repair?

I am debating on if this is an easy repair that I want to attempt or not. With the nightmare scenario being I buy a $100 motor and don't do something right or that doesn't fix it and I am still in need of a dryer with much less funds.

Any recommendations on the best place to order the part?

Thanks

Offline jumptrout51

• Technician
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2009, 06:25:22 PM »
Post your model number in the left hand corner of this page under model and part number. It will take you to the parts for your dryer. Order your motor and install it. If that does not correct your problem you can return the motor.
The removal and installation is easy enough.
If you decide to do the repair yourself anyone on this forum can walk you through the steps.
Take a Kid fishing.

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
    • JW's Sublime Appliance Advice
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2009, 07:32:32 PM »
I can replace a motor in 45 minutes, that includes throughly cleaning every inch of the dryer and oiling all the rollers. This is a very easy fix. While the motor is expensive you will have an equivilent of a new dryer. I gotta tell ya though, You might can save the motor. Start by removing the filter. Use the filter to hold your screws. Get the 2 phillips scews out that are mounted in the filter housing(they hold down the top and need to be removed). Use a 5 in one or a putty knife to get the top up by compressing the clips in the front. Then remove the screws holding the front. Raise up on the front before removing the front to keep from breaking the panel clips. Get the drum out. Remove the rear dust cover and then remove the blower housing. The blower has reverse threads. 2 good fitting wrenches should do the deed to remove the blower. The motor has a quick connection(no wiring no brain work needed) If you can change your oil you can do this job and save a ton of money. This dryer is worth repairing.Just for fun you could try oiling the motor and freeing up the bearings. The bearings on either side are sealed and so you will have to make some oil ports by drilling. I use a 1/8th in drill bit. Being careful not to hit the shaft I drill through to the cotton wells and fill them with quality zoom oil. (a high temp resistant turbine oil). I add a little rust buster and work the motor loose. It might last 1 load or 500 more loads who knows.Be sure to oil the rollers and idler.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2009, 07:45:26 PM by JWWebster »
May the hinges of our friendship
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline jumptrout51

• Technician
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2009, 07:49:44 PM »
I knew JW would help us out.
What he said is what you do.
Good luck.
Take a Kid fishing.

Maytag Dryer Problem

Started by jborden