Author Topic: Washer not spinning fast enough?  (Read 2451 times)

Offline esjones

• VIP Member
Washer not spinning fast enough?
« on: December 31, 2008, 08:51:17 AM »
My Maytag washer PAV3200AWW runs fine, except that at the end of the cycle (any cycle) the clothes are not as dry as they should be. Suspect that it's not spinning fast enough.  Does anyone have any experience with this, and does it sound like it might be a DIY fix?

Any suggestions are appreciated.

- Earl

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
    • JW's Sublime Appliance Advice
Re: Washer not spinning fast enough?
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2008, 01:17:10 PM »
What you have is a thrust washer problem. Their is a kit that comes with a new drive pulley and cam,assorted washers and that affore mentioned thrust washer. The problem is the washer is worn to the point it won't properly release the tub. Thrust washer kitEasy fix.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2008, 01:20:07 PM by JWWebster »
May the hinges of our friendship
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline hleebeard@sbcglo

• VIP Member
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2009, 12:09:22 PM »
I have an almost new amana NAV5805AWW.  It sat for over a year before I used it. Have to spin dry three times to get clothes dry enough to put in dryer.  After one spin they are still ringing wet.  Could the thrust washer be worn this early?  Also, the motor is very loose and wobbly.  Should it not have spring or something to maintain belt tension?  Had it fixed by maytag repairman.  He replaced motor and clutch.  Still does same thing.  I refused to pay for replacing a probably good motor and clutch.  He refused to come back.  Now I am on my own. 

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
    • JW's Sublime Appliance Advice
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2009, 12:45:30 PM »
The brake will stick to the lining when they sit up. You gotta get it loose with some wd 40 After Hurricane Katrina took it's toll on the gulf coast a bunch of the washer went under water. Knowing thet wouldn't work when wet they were set up for many months. In some cases power was not restored for 6 months. By that time the brake linings had a good chance of adhering to the base of the tranny. If I could get to them before anybody ran one I would get my brake removal tool and pop the lining out. Replace it and the dryer would work fine. The bearings would roar like hell but the people could wash their clothes.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2009, 12:51:05 PM by JWWebster »
May the hinges of our friendship
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline hleebeard@sbcglo

• VIP Member
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2009, 02:21:04 PM »
How do i get the wd 40 in there?  Do I need to dissasemble the clutch and brake assembly?  I've already washed umpteen loads of clothes since the problem began.  Should it have freed itself by now?
Thanks for your help.

Washer not spinning fast enough?

Started by AlleyCat

Replies: 11
Views: 6876
Last post November 15, 2009, 06:16:04 AM
by Repair-man
maytag washer stops spinning very fast then makes loud squeak at the end.

Started by repairguy42

Replies: 9
Views: 10328
Last post June 24, 2010, 11:07:44 AM
by JWWebster
Old Maytag Top Load Washer Not Spinning Fast Enough

Started by shoeheel

Replies: 11
Views: 3664
Last post June 20, 2011, 09:59:43 PM
by AJ
WhirlPool Cabrio Washer not agitating/spinning fast