Author Topic: Upper Seal Failure in Top Load Washers  (Read 1370 times)

Offline Repair-man

• Technician
  • The Virtual Repairman
    • The Virtual Repairmans Appliance Help
Upper Seal Failure in Top Load Washers
« on: January 09, 2009, 05:47:05 PM »
One of the key things about doing a successful repair job is covering all the angles. Sometimes this involves not only the actual failure, but determining what led up to it and how to  ward off future repairs of this nature any time soon. Lately, I have noticed a slew of  oily, no spin complaints resulting in replacing the basket drive assembly. When the seal at the top of the basket drive tube fails, water permeates the space between the tub and the clutch. In this space, there is a genreous glob of gray factory-installed grease to more or less permanently lube the tub bearings. When the top seal fails and water  hits this grease, it gets spun out from inside the clutch disc, leaving a noticeable trail of oily stuff around the circumference of the cabinet a foot off the floor.

No one like to face the prospect of pulling the spin basket and drive block, dropping the transmission and replacing the spin tube, but in this case it must be done. The only catch is....why did it fail, and what can I do about preventing it?

From an engineers point of view, the top seal of the spin tube is designed to isolate the stainless steel agitator shaft from contact with surface water in the tub. Since the seal is relatively high from the bottom of the tub, there is really not much water pressure to act upon it, therefore it is not designed too sturdily. In fact, if the  seal inside the agitator aind barrier under the cap is working as it should, no water would contact the drive tube seal at all, kept back by a wall of air trapped by good seals in the agitator cam assembly. When the agitator o-rings, and  seals fail, the cycle begins...air that is supposed to be trapped under the agitator is suddenly released, causing water to start working on the seal.  Other factors, such as turning the water level down can expedite the failure of these seals, since the weight of the load is concentrated on the agitatoer when the water level is reduced. My key advice here is "to hell with saving water, use the highest water level available for any size load". Take the knob off the control.

Now, back to the topic..since it can be deduced that  a drive tube seal failure is the ultimate result of an agitator seal failure, it only makes sense to add the  agitator repair kit to your list of things to do when changing a drive tube for a seal failure. Who wants a repeat episode any time soon?

"It's only expensive if someone else fixes it for you" -
The Virtual Repairman   www.repair2000.com

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
    • JW's Sublime Appliance Advice
Re: Upper Seal Failure in Top Load Washers
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2009, 11:09:45 PM »
Do you dream about this stuff late at night?
May the hinges of our friendship
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline Repair-man

• Technician
  • The Virtual Repairman
    • The Virtual Repairmans Appliance Help
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2009, 05:47:57 AM »
And here it is past midnight and apparently you are reading it.

« Last Edit: January 10, 2009, 05:59:20 AM by Repair-man »
"It's only expensive if someone else fixes it for you" -
The Virtual Repairman   www.repair2000.com

Offline littleg

• VIP Member
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2009, 08:55:52 AM »
Very helpful information, thanks!  O0

Water Collecting in Boot on Select Frigidaire Front-Load Washers

Started by AJ

Replies: 1
Views: 4851
Last post August 05, 2013, 08:42:08 PM
by Cananot
LG recommended maintenance for front load washers

Started by maypo52

Replies: 5
Views: 20979
Last post June 03, 2014, 05:52:55 PM
by domain
Frigidaire Front Load Washer - Tumble Action Washers with AC Drive Motor Service

Started by AJ

Replies: 0
Views: 3190
Last post January 10, 2009, 09:55:36 AM
by AJ
front load washers

Started by diyguy

Replies: 25
Views: 6776
Last post February 01, 2009, 09:16:32 PM
by JWWebster
Frigidaire Top Load Washers 2.7-3.0 cu ft Tubs(5995377099) Service Manual

Started by AJ

Views: 1617
Last post August 20, 2009, 05:35:33 PM
by AJ
Affresh Washer Cleaner for Front Load Washers (he)

Started by AJ

Views: 1188
Last post October 29, 2009, 03:36:42 PM
by AJ