Forum > Dishwasher Repair

Dropped screw into dishwasher drain inlet

(1/1)

gtmitchelljr:
Model Number: GU940SCGB0

Hi,
While changing an upper spray arm on my dishwasher, I let one of the screws get away from me and it fell through the drain inlet vanes in the bottom of the tub.  I cannot reach or fit anything into the drain area to try and retrieve the screw.  I have removed the lower spray arm assembly, and am now looking at the top of the impeller.  It has a small (6.5mm) nut on top and the impeller has a hex assembly built onto the impeller for a wrench to be used to hold the impeller steady while removing the small nut.  If I remove the impeller, would that allow me to remove the top of the drain and reach/remove the screw?  Is it even worth the effort to try and remove the screw?  Should I just let it stay there and save myself the effort???
Thanks!

whirlpooltech:

--- Quote ---If I remove the impeller, would that allow me to remove the top of the drain and reach/remove the screw?
--- End quote ---

Yes, it should. Are you sure the screw went that far into the pump?

--- Quote ---Is it even worth the effort to try and remove the screw?  Should I just let it stay there and save myself the effort???
--- End quote ---

I would make the effort to remove it, but that's just me. :)

Here is the Whirlpool GU940** Service Repair Manual for your dishwasher.

Have you seen the parts diagram yet?

whirlpooltech:
As for the service manual, your model starts on page 47. :)

gtmitchelljr:
Thanks for the quick reply... I believe the screw is underneath part #9 on the diagram you sent.  And I think that to get that part off, I need to remove the impeller #11 by removing the nut #12 on top of the impeller. I have looked at the diagram you sent, and I assume that the nut #12 holding the impeller on is just an ordinary nut and can be removed. My main concern is in not creating more of a problem by disassembling something I shouldn't ! :D
Tried to use a magnet tool to get to the screw, but it is too wide and doesn't fit between the drain "fins".
I'll take a look at the service manual you linked, thanks for the info.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version