Author Topic: whirlpool washer final spin issues  (Read 3232 times)

Offline streetrodmaniac

• VIP Member
whirlpool washer final spin issues
« on: January 08, 2009, 08:34:22 AM »
 We have a whirlpool washer model LSR6232JQ0. it's about 3 years old, we are having one issue with it that I would like some guidance on. The agitation, rinse, and everything else all work fine, its gets to the spin cycle that isn't up to par. The unit starts to spin and gradually picks up speed, but never gets to the full fast final spin, resulting in pretty wet clothes at the end of the cycle. It seems to work o.k. with a fairly tiny load, but when you have more than that in it the speed is just not all the way there. Any ideas? I am starting to suspect the clutch but would like some professional advice before jumping in and replacing parts. Thanks!

Model Number: LSR6232JQ0 icon

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
    • JW's Sublime Appliance Advice
Re: whirlpool washer final spin issues
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2009, 09:03:19 AM »
you might have your drain hose too high or something in the pump.
May the hinges of our friendship
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline whirlpooltech

• Technician
  • 20 years of experience
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2009, 09:03:39 AM »
Hi,

Remove the washer cabinet an take a look at the clutch on top of the transmission.

The clutch maybe getting oil on it from the transmission leaking.
With oil on the clutch it will slip.

This is a example of what the inside of your washer cabinet may look like if the clutch has oil on it.

This pdf may help you get the cabinet off.

http://ApplianceJunk.com/motorcoupler

Let us know what you find.

Offline streetrodmaniac

• VIP Member
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2009, 07:28:44 AM »
I took it apart last night, didn't find nothing too alarming, I found a tiny amount of yellow grease on the cabinet, but it sure doesn't look like it came from the gearcase, the clutch was relatively clean but slightly glazed, I didn't have a replacement so I roughed up the pads with sandpaper and cleaned with brake cleaner before reassembling. It didn't really change much still doing the same thing, I ran a load of 8 bath towels through it and they came out fairly damp, took 3 cycles on the dryer to try to dry them out and they were still not totally dry. I forgot to mention in my original post that I had removed the pump and cleaned the hoses & pump as best I could but found no obstructions. The first load that it starting doing this on may have been a heavy one (maybe a little too heavy now that I think about it) The water does pump all the way out of the tub, so I don't think that's holding it up, my situation kinda looks similar to mike's post above mine except I didn't really see any shavings. Any ideas?

Offline streetrodmaniac

• VIP Member
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2009, 07:31:41 AM »
Forgot to mention the tiny amount of yellow grease was in the same pattern as the picture posted, but almost undetectable without looking at it very very closely. Thanks for any/all assistance!

Offline Repair-man

• Technician
  • The Virtual Repairman
    • The Virtual Repairmans Appliance Help
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2009, 07:53:19 AM »
Replace the basket drive assembly and the clutch to get the washer back to new again. The only  special tools needed is the  spanner wrench to  remove the tub nut.
"It's only expensive if someone else fixes it for you" -
The Virtual Repairman   www.repair2000.com

Offline streetrodmaniac

• VIP Member
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2009, 08:15:52 AM »
Problem solved! O0  I took it apart again since it's fairly simple...  I didn't have any replacement parts on hand yet, but wanted to take another look to see if I had overlooked anything. I noticed the clutch already had some gunk on it again, so I focused my attention to the brake assembly on the basket drive. I took out the brake linings and it looks like assembly grease from above had been gradually liquifying & seeping onto the brake and clutch linings. I cleaned up everything including the brake & clutch linings again and gave the clutch spring a little extra tweak to make it fit tighter and it now works good as new! Thanks for the awesome site, and everyone's help! I know I'll be back to figure out future issues when needed and you can bet I'll tell friends about this site as well!
Thanks again for all the responses and assistance!

Repair Guide: Whirlpool Direct Drive Washer - No agitate or spin

Started by AJ

Replies: 13
Views: 23974
Last post January 02, 2009, 01:09:38 PM
by AJ
whirlpool belt drive washer won't spin

Started by mthd60sprty

Replies: 7
Views: 5831
Last post June 06, 2013, 08:42:12 AM
by fairbank56