Author Topic: MayTag not draining  (Read 10060 times)

Offline redtail

• VIP Member
Re: MayTag not draining
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2009, 07:58:43 AM »
Hi,

The washing machine go through all it cycles correctly, but the motor never changes direction to pump out. I can see the pump turning. I don't know if the pump engages when it in the mode of pumping out the water. hopefully I saying this correctly.

Offline theoldstoveguy

• Technician
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2009, 08:59:50 AM »
Does the tub spin when it is the spin section on the timer? Or does it aggitate(back& forth)

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
    • JW's Sublime Appliance Advice
« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2009, 09:05:01 AM »
bad timer
May the hinges of our friendship
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline redtail

• VIP Member
« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2009, 11:46:28 AM »

Hi again everyone,

I know the timer is bad, I getting replacement today. I was trying to determed if the pump might be bad. It is hard to believe that both components would go bad at the same time.

Thanks

Offline redtail

• VIP Member
« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2009, 08:46:31 PM »
Hi

Just let everyone know, I replace the timer "did not" fix the problem. Motor is still spinning one way. Money down the tubes. Motor about 3-4 year old. Would the external starter determed which the motor spins?

Thanks

Offline theoldstoveguy

• Technician
« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2009, 09:02:03 PM »
Back to basics, does the TUB SPIN when in the SPIN section of the timer? You can see the transmission spin when the front is off. If that does SPIN and when you held the impeller (FINS) in the pump and turned  the shaft & it turned but impeller did NOT, you need a pump. That is the easiest way to check it. The machine reverses to drain & spin & can be seen with the front off & the transmission spinning. I don't pay attention to the rotation of the pump(it will turn same direction as the transmission) In aggitation it the transmission wil be staitonary,spin it reverses & transmission will rotate.

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2009, 09:11:31 PM »
bad check switch?
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline theoldstoveguy

• Technician
« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2009, 09:19:28 PM »
If the check switch were bad the fuse would blow & no power at all to the motor. The statement was it RAN but would not drain. I think it is a bad pump.

Offline redtail

• VIP Member
« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2009, 09:37:09 PM »
Back to basics, does the TUB SPIN when in the SPIN section of the timer? You can see the transmission spin when the front is off. If that does SPIN and when you held the impeller (FINS) in the pump and turned  the shaft & it turned but impeller did NOT, you need a pump. That is the easiest way to check it. The machine reverses to drain & spin & can be seen with the front off & the transmission spinning. I don't pay attention to the rotation of the pump(it will turn same direction as the transmission) In aggitation it the transmission wil be staitonary,spin it reverses & transmission will rotate.

Start off this way, when starting the washer, fill with water, and it go back and forth for the wash part, next it should drain for the rinse, but does not. When it get to the spin cycle the tub is still fill with water.  Tub is spinning counter clockwise, and as well as the motor. I can see motion in the of water flowing counter clockwise also.

Offline redtail

• VIP Member
« Reply #24 on: January 08, 2009, 09:40:21 PM »
bad check switch?

Not sure where check switch would be?

Offline redtail

• VIP Member
« Reply #25 on: January 08, 2009, 09:46:42 PM »
I know sound like broken recorder, at some point the motor should reverse itself. It has enough wires going to it. On top of the motor their is little box with wire coming for the timer, and wires come out the motor it. As guess earlier it the start for the motor?

Offline theoldstoveguy

• Technician
« Reply #26 on: January 08, 2009, 09:52:28 PM »
So is TRANSMISSION turning in the spin mode?  I have done MAYTAG RED CARPET service for 25 years,If you give me the answer to that I can probably tell you what is wrong.

Offline redtail

• VIP Member
« Reply #27 on: January 08, 2009, 10:01:24 PM »
So is TRANSMISSION turning in the spin mode?  I have done MAYTAG RED CARPET service for 25 years,If you give me the answer to that I can probably tell you what is wrong.
Sorry if I am not explaining very  answer your question. Yes, the transmission turn in spin mode.

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
« Reply #28 on: January 08, 2009, 10:02:14 PM »
well you know the motor reverses to pump out the water.
        never grow rusty.

I love fan letters! LOL

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
« Reply #29 on: January 08, 2009, 10:05:47 PM »
If the timer did not fix the problem then the motor is bad. Replace the motor Look at it like this> you have a better washer than you can buy now so spend the money on a motor.
        never grow rusty.

I love fan letters! LOL

Maytag Atlantis Not Draining or Spinning

Started by dconsie

Replies: 11
Views: 10862
Last post June 28, 2008, 05:13:06 PM
by dconsie
Maytag washer not draining

Started by ppainter

Replies: 2
Views: 1468
Last post January 31, 2009, 09:46:14 PM