Author Topic: Kenmore Series 90 washer won't fill  (Read 11687 times)

Offline iliiinieis

• VIP Member
Kenmore Series 90 washer won't fill
« on: January 03, 2009, 11:05:58 AM »
I have a Series 90 washer that will not fill on the cold side.  Hot will fill.  This happened a few months back and I ordered the water inlet with the solenoids thinking this was the problem. The day the part came in the washer started working again.  This time it seems to be hell bent on not working so I pulled it out to replace the part. Problem is, I cannot figure out how to get the old part out.  I am mechanically inclined but I do not want to remove anything I don't need to.  What is the easiest way to get this part out?  Does this sound like the part that is bad?

Also, this is the first time this washer has ever been serviced, is there anything I should replace while I have it apart?  It does spin off balance alot; incase that is helpful.

Model 110.22922100

Offline jumptrout51

• Technician
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
Re: Kenmore Series 90 washer won't fill
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2009, 11:16:46 AM »
Your problem may just be a clogged filter screen in the cold water hose.
Turn off the cold water and disconnect the hose at the washer water valve.
Look inside the valve for silt and other debris.
If it is there clean it out. Re-attach the hose, turn on the water and try again.
Take a Kid fishing.

Offline iliiinieis

• VIP Member
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2009, 03:00:45 PM »
Ok, I pulled the hoses and the hot side has a little debris in the screen but the cold side is clean as a whistle.  Is there a manual online that will tell me how to take this thing apart? I can see no screws to remove to get to the inlet valves.

Offline AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
    • ApplianceJunk.com - Appliance Repair
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2009, 03:12:32 PM »
Is there a manual online that will tell me how to take this thing apart?

This is the our motor coupler pdf repair guide for your washer, but it should help show you how to take it apart.

http://appliancejunk.com/motorcoupler.pdf

Your washer is also what is called a direct drive washer, made by Whirlpool.

Here is the Direct Drive Washer Service Repair Manual.
Hope you find our site helpful.
Follow us on Google+

Offline iliiinieis

• VIP Member
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2009, 03:29:31 PM »
That is perfect.  Thanks.

Unfortunately, I can see I have other issues along with this one.  Not to mention that the inlet valve is probably not the problem after all. That is always fun to hear.

I may have to take this thing down and replace a few parts.  My wife runs the hell out of this poor machine and has for going on 10 years.  It sounds like a thin metal box of boulders rolling down a mountain when it runs and according to your links, it should be near silent. I guess its one more thing in this house I get to learn about and maintain. lol

I will post back here when its fixed since this appears to be a rare problem as I was not able to locate it in past posts or blogs.

Thanks again,

Robert

Offline AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
    • ApplianceJunk.com - Appliance Repair
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2009, 03:42:18 PM »
It sounds like a thin metal box of boulders rolling down a mountain when it runs

Check the agitators dogs. Easy to check and cheap to repair if they need to be replaced.

This post should help you with the dogs.

http://appliancejunk.com/forums/index.php?topic=105.0
Hope you find our site helpful.
Follow us on Google+

Offline iliiinieis

• VIP Member
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2009, 06:15:52 PM »
LOL, it figures I would see your last post after I had already put it all back together?  :)

Ok, the inlet valve fixed my problem.  I have hot and cold water and alot more water pressure.  It fills up super fast now.  I took the time to inspect the inside and it looks in remarkably good shape considering the abuse its taken over the past decade. The "dogs" is my next project. I can do that without removing the cabinet again. Gotta get those parts ordered.

I was kind of shocked when I tested the new water valve. I filled the washer and started it spinning.  I had a screwdriver in the switch so I could keep the lid open since it spins off balance very easily. When the spin cycle finished, the agitator seemed to lock up and the whole washer jerked as it stopped with a real loud bang. The washer rotated a good 6 inches when it stopped. The floor is ceramic tile and, due to neglect, had a liberal amount of liquid detergent on it from a leaky container. I attributed the rough stop to the slippery floor and counter force.  I removed the washer and scrubbed the floor spic and span and dried it. I had the wife clean the four feet of the washer while I leaned it back as well. I reran the test once I had the washer back in place and leveled. Again, it jerked to a halt and moved the washer but not as much. Both times I had "overridden" the top door switch. Just out of curiosity I closed the washer and let it spin again, this time the brake kicked it and it stopped normally.  Should I be concerned about this?

Anyway, thanks for all you guys help.  You made a tough job easy for a newbie and I thank you for that.

Robert

Offline iliiinieis

• VIP Member
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2009, 06:28:18 PM »
I have a test load in now and I noticed that the agitator vibrates and makes a rattling noise while its actually agitating. The agitator is really loose when the machine is off.  It turns both ways freely too. I think that's probably bad.  Could something inside the agitator be broke?

Offline iliiinieis

• VIP Member
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2009, 06:31:40 PM »
Just for future search reference: Inlet Valve part# is 3952164.

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
    • JW's Sublime Appliance Advice
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2009, 06:34:09 PM »
On kenmore/whirlpool models they use a 2 piece agitator with a set of 4 dogs inside it. As the washer rotates back and forth, the dogs grab the inner walls of the upper agitator and that forces the clothes into a downward movement to the bottom of the tub. These dogs will wear out. To test whether or not these are bad just grab the agitator while in wash mode. The dogs should advance the top portion easily. If not then they are worn out. To replace them you must remove the agitator and sit it on the floor. Hold the base down with your feet and yank the top upwards. After seperating the 2 pieces you simply install the new dogs and line up the bottom with the top being careful not to break the little tabs on the bottom agitator that hold the top in place.
May the hinges of our friendship
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline iliiinieis

• VIP Member
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2009, 06:46:30 PM »
I just went to take a look.  It spins freely while running but occasionally it turns in my hand. No rhythym to the gripping, very ofbeat. The upper agitator and the lower agitator spin freely of each other and the top even wobbles left to right and up and down. My mom told me (she lives with me and the wife) she cleaned out the fabric softener bowl (about 2 years ago) on top and when she put it back on she pushed down hard and heard something inside snap. Its been wobbly ever since. Funny how these things only come up when I am working on the stupid thing. These are all need to know things and I find out after I have it back together. Geez...  ???

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2009, 07:00:02 PM »
Agitator dogs are pretty easy to replace and the part is pretty cheap. You can get the kit with the 4 dogs only(FSP#80040) or the more expensive one with a new cam and instructions.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2009, 07:03:36 PM by JWWebster »
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline iliiinieis

• VIP Member
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2009, 06:03:12 PM »
I was washing a load today and the washer did the major jerking while stopping again.  It actually moves the washer when it stops spinning.  What causes this?

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2009, 07:37:05 PM »
That is just the brake locking down the tub. That is a safety feature built into the washer incase someone opens the lid while it is spinning full blast.
        never grow rusty.

I love fan letters! LOL

Offline whirlpooltech

• Technician
  • 20 years of experience
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2009, 06:33:14 AM »
If it's stopping that hard you may need to replace the brake.

First make sure the washer is level and the front feet are locked in place.

donate
$1, $2, $5, $10, $20, $50

kenmore washer 90 series won't fill water

Started by ryanbach

Replies: 9
Views: 6501
Last post August 20, 2009, 07:59:30 PM
by Washaman
Kenmore 90 Series washer: Cold water does not fill wash, but fills rinse

Started by purnell1

Replies: 4
Views: 702